Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For nearly 7 years my ED XR8 has this clunking noise in the front end which started once the car past the 10,000k mark, usually happens when turning around corners.
I never bothered doing anything about it cause I usually have the stereo up loud and I don't hear it but know I can feel it through the floor so it's pissing me right off!

Does anyone know the cause of it? I think it was a common problem in the ED's but I'm not sure.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
gtho4,

Have you done any suspension work on your car ever since? I might be telling you what you already know and probably checked but usually if it's a clunck of some sort from the front is somethin with the ball joints or a loose suspension part.

Do you feel a kick back from the steering when it happens?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah no kick back from the steering, had the balljoints checked out and they are ok but no one could work out where this clunk is coming from.
It also does it when you wiggle the steering wheel.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
steering rack bolts?

Check your steering rack bolts. Theres 2 fourteen mill bolts coming down from the top of the rack onto the crosssmember. Sometimes all you need to do is loosen these bolts off , move steering from lock to lock and retension. Also check the 2 ten mill bolts on steering uni under brake booster.;)

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Well this could be another check to do, have you checked the steering shaft that goes into the steering rack, see if you can wiggle it, should be no movement.
IF there is movement it's the steerign rack thats gone.

·
Ford Member
520 Posts
Hey mate, if this only happens when u brake and turn at the same time i know what it is!

My dads old EF had it and so did my EL, its an easy fix. What is acctually happening is your brakpads are loose, ussually having them taken off and put back on and reglued with that red stuff fixes it, if the mechanic knows what he is doing!! The reason why this happens is the "shimls" or "shins" (dunno what they are called) they are little metal brackets that sit between the top of the pad and inside of the calipper, and its acctually them that are losse causing the pad to move and make a clunking noise!! I know whats its like and it really pissed me off to!!

Funny thing is that it dosent do it if its raining!!

Hope this helps!!

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
My AUII (most others as well) make an annoying clunk from front and rear suspensions whenever they go over a bump.

You can imagine the noise on a corrugated bitumen road. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK THUD THUD THUD

It must have something to do with the suspension setup on AU's cos, I havnt noticed it on the EL's.

I wasnt sure if its a shock absorber problem who knows! but its [email protected]#% annoying. I havent noticed this noise from commo suspensions.

I also get an annoying wind howl from the rear windowwhen doing 100k's. not sure if it is the wind rushing over the spoiler or not....

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Jaytyn,

I know where your comming from about those shock clunks, one of our AU2 Fairmonts at work done the thing you said, and from what i hear it's the bottom blot of the shock thans loosened it's self. Go to the ford dealer or better still go to a suspension place to get your car checked out, if it is that problem it is a matter of inspecting the bush's to see if it's stuffed and re-tightening the bolt.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XtRmn8 said:
Hey mate, if this only happens when u brake and turn at the same time i know what it is!

My dads old EF had it and so did my EL, its an easy fix. What is acctually happening is your brakpads are loose, ussually having them taken off and put back on and reglued with that red stuff fixes it, if the mechanic knows what he is doing!! The reason why this happens is the "shimls" or "shins" (dunno what they are called) they are little metal brackets that sit between the top of the pad and inside of the calipper, and its acctually them that are losse causing the pad to move and make a clunking noise!! I know whats its like and it really pissed me off to!!

Funny thing is that it dosent do it if its raining!!

Hope this helps!!
That is another problem I have thanks for the tip and I think what your thinking is called shims. :cool:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jaytyn said:
My AUII (most others as well) make an annoying clunk from front and rear suspensions whenever they go over a bump.

You can imagine the noise on a corrugated bitumen road. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK THUD THUD THUD

It must have something to do with the suspension setup on AU's cos, I havnt noticed it on the EL's.

I wasnt sure if its a shock absorber problem who knows! but its [email protected]#% annoying. I havent noticed this noise from commo suspensions.

I also get an annoying wind howl from the rear windowwhen doing 100k's. not sure if it is the wind rushing over the spoiler or not....
Could be swaybar bushes.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
Wind noise

jaytn:

If your AU has wind noise in the back, id nearly put my money on the rear screen leaking. The easiest way to check it is to get someone in theback seat with a 1/2 metre long hose of about 10mm diameter. Stick one end of hose in guys ear in the back and whilst travelling, stick the other end of the hose around the edges of the rear screen until you can hear a sucking noise.

This a problem with AU's and can only be fixed by removing rear screen and re-sealing (job for experts). Can also cause water to leak into boot sometimes.

:p

·
1,031 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Jaytyn,

I know where your comming from about those shock clunks, one of our AU2 Fairmonts at work done the thing you said, and from what i hear it's the bottom blot of the shock thans loosened it's self. Go to the ford dealer or better still go to a suspension place to get your car checked out, if it is that problem it is a matter of inspecting the bush's to see if it's stuffed and re-tightening the bolt.
EF, was that clunk in your work AU2 fron front/rear or both?
Did they end up fixing it?

Thanks

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
jaytyn said:

EF, was that clunk in your work AU2 fron front/rear or both?
Did they end up fixing it?

Thanks
The clunking came from the rear suspension, i talked to the guy who drives it everyday and he said they fixed it no dramas. Sounds right what i heard the shock bolts undo them selves for a strange reason. The shocks it self on the AU IMO are actually better than VT in terms of handlign, sure they are stiffer but that compromises to a more direct feel.
If you get your suspension checked out i'm sure the cluncks can be ironed out and the AU will handle like a charm. :cool:

·
FPV
478 Posts
Clunk

Jaytyn I have that Sound in my AU too and im geting water in the boot when ever it rains, not in side the boot but in the boot lid if u know what i mean. And also the ForD Clunk

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: BOOTLID LEAK

Id bet my left nut that you have a personalised number plate fitted that doesnt line up with the factory grommets in bootlid where number plate srews in. EASY FIXED:cool:

Buy a tube of black silastic and fill in unused holes. Lick finger to smooth off

:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
1,031 Posts
I have personalised plates, but thank god mine doesnt leak!!

They had drilled some holes in the steel to fit my plates.

I painted the old grommets liquid silver, but the paint is starting to peel off. I should have primed then first.

·
Australian ED Fairmont Member
34 Posts
Just read an old post of yours from a few months ago and was wondering if you fixed the problem in the front end of your ED.
It is a common problem and if you read my reply dated 11/9/01 you will see how I fixed mine with great results, no clunking and a more positive feel.
Good luck.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my EL after taking it back a number of times the service dept. finally listened to me and investigated the same sounds....!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the sway bar bushes. Replaced them and never heard the sounds again..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts