Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well surprise surprise, this article was from The Sun Herald in the drive section written by Bill McKinnon called The scrap heap.

1. Holden Commodore VS
2. Holden Vectra
3. Holden Astra TS
4. Holden Commodore VT
5. Holden Barina SB

The article talks about reliability of different cars and km's. So for those of you who think the AU's aren't a better car than the VT heres something to think about.
Even the last of the series VS Commodore had abit of home work to do.
Must point out though the Falcons have had a few problems as well, but definitly not as bad as the Commodore.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Holden should be proud topping the list with not one or two but five models. They are seriously a bad company in need of some serious reformation.

Having said that, big Pete Hannenberger is said to have kicked some butt there on reliability and quality. Give Holden some time and watch what happens. Ford had better get moving too - never good to let a company catch you!

·
Evil Holden Overlord
920 Posts
So why do they sell so well if they are all so "faulty"? asks me who's not had one problem with his Commodore.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Very Strange Stats

My brother is a mechanic and works in a service/mechanical repair shop, he loves Fords but always tell me about what work he does, they work on SO many more Falcons than Dunnydores, he thinks probably about 4 or 5 to 1, he said it's rare to see a commy other than a VN or a VP. This is from a totally umbiased opinion also as I said he is a Ford man himself. I would be very interested what the problems were they are talking about with these cars thats for sure.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Hobbes said:
So why do they sell so well if they are all so "faulty"? asks me who's not had one problem with his Commodore.
That's an easy one - backmasking and subliminal messaging in their widespread advertising :eek: :D

BTW I thought I saw you turning into Pennant Hills Rd the other day, from The Commenara (sp?), giving it some stick with a ricey Camry giving chase.. that was you wasn't it?? Couldn't see the plates!!

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Re: Very Strange Stats

BOF 351 said:
My brother is a mechanic and works in a service/mechanical repair shop, he loves Fords but always tell me about what work he does, they work on SO many more Falcons than Dunnydores, he thinks probably about 4 or 5 to 1, he said it's rare to see a commy other than a VN or a VP. This is from a totally umbiased opinion also as I said he is a Ford man himself. I would be very interested what the problems were they are talking about with these cars thats for sure.
Opposite here, we get more bogadores than falcon....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What problems do they have?

I would like to hear what sort of problems the Dunnydores have, most of the Ford work are heads, radiators, air cons, windows, door handles, gearboxes (4 sp auto) and fuel pumps.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Re: What problems do they have?

BOF 351 said:
I would like to hear what sort of problems the Dunnydores have, most of the Ford work are heads, radiators, air cons, windows, door handles, gearboxes (4 sp auto) and fuel pumps.
coil packs, dfi modules, hp power steer hoses, auto leaks, crank angle sensors, balancers, radiators...

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
It's amazing what can be achieved with the right "Brand Image" isn't it. Holden have never sold more cars than they do now. Just makes you wonder I guess.. :rolleyes:

·
7,777 Posts
Holden will deny anything!

Like the VX 300 that blew a power steering seal and filled the engine bay with fluid. My VS GTS-R did this so many times it wasn't funny. The VTs did it. And the VXs do it.

The trick is to fit an extra power steering cooler and run the fluid towards the low mark on the dipstick.

And another one. The Premium Brakes on HSVs suffered from seizing pistons. If I remember right, Motor had probs with funny pad wear on one of the press cars and HSV fobbed it off, but there's enough owners out there that know what the real problem is.

To be balanced though, the Tickford cars have their own problems but I don't want to say :eek: :D ;) Lest the Holden boys find out!

·
7,777 Posts
HSE2 said:
Well some Tickford cars have issues;)
Yeah, the dud ones ;)
And of course my one DID have issues. But no more! :D

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Up till now driveline Vibrations have plagued the V6 commos, the VT i had for 3 months had a bad diff knock when backing of the gas. Power steering leaked and central locking effed up as in when you go to start the car it wouldn't start, you have to lock/unlock then it will start.

By the same token i've heard Falcons have had pretty bad problems, i know theres a few issues that i'd like improved on Falcons, like the fit and finish of panels and paint quality. So far mine has been bullet proof par the clutch anchor cable fatigueing resulting in a tow and a harmonic balancer change at 175k.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Hobbes said:
Each to his own I would say.

If I hadnt modified my car.. yes i wouldnt have had problems.. but then again whats the point.

We all read horror stories and only rarely does it happen to us... touch wood.

But it appears to be the Commodores that have top rank here.. phew!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
My brothers VX SS is scrubbing the inside of the tyre on all 4 wheels and has a leaking extension housing seal. I know the leaking seal is not a big problem but tyres aren't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Has anyone posted this on LS1.com yet?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
Martin
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing