Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps,

I've been studying up on coolant technology, and found a product used in Mercedes Benz cars called Glysantin G-05.

Well it is sold in the USA by Valvoline as Zerex G-05, and now Valvoline in Horsetralia is selling a G-05 coolant which is the same stuff (developed in Germany by BASF chemicals and licenced to them).

So if you want a good low silicate coolant that won't chew out your water pump seals, lasts a long time, will protect aluminium, Valvoline G-05 is the stuff.

I sent Valvoline an email about this, and yes, it is the same stuff as the Glysantin G-05. :wnc:

cheers

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Ahh thats what we use at work !! I use too ....

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Had a mate who swore by the Merc coolant as the best you could get. Thought he was full of it, guess he was right after all!

·
If Only I Had Lexus Power
827 Posts
Excellent work there , i ve been wondering for a while what the best stuff is

Do you have an approx price

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
Excellent research! Thanks mate! Now please let us in on where we can get some adn how much coz a while ago I was thinking the green stuff Ford use is the good stuff!!!

·
827 Posts
Well i was in kmat today and found the coolant we are talking about its in a gold 2.5L container of concentrate and is priced at $25 per bottle

The specs off the back say that with a 103kpa cap pressure the following mixtures are reccomended

70% G-05 / 30% water------136 degree celcius boiling point
60% G-05 / 40% water------132
50% G-05 / 50% water------129, This was the advertised mixture

Comes with a 5 year advertised protection life span

That means to fill the average falcon (15L) it will cost

70%---- $125 (5 bottles)
60%---- $100 (4 bottles)
50%---- $75 (3 bottles)

Plus if you use spring or demineralized water add another $5-$10

Plus a top up bottle if you need it which is another $25, and if your putting it in an older car i would want my radiator flushed first

Hope this helps

Ashley

Attachments

·
E-Series wagon owner
1,929 Posts
i just let ford fill up my coolant when i take my car in for a service

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Thought you said it was concentrate, so why are you filling the radiator with it as a premix?

·
827 Posts
I never said it was premix. On the bottle is says "Concentrate" (You can see it in the first 2 pics)

If i could find it in (a real concentrate version) maybe i would buy some (And yes i do know what the differance between premix and concentrate is)

But that is all there was

Look at their website, it is an premixed form there as well, in a clear container (Not Gold)

http://www.valvoline.com.au/products.cfm?mode=cat2&category=C

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Eh....I don't understand.
If it says concentrate on the bottle, and you're using 15L (5 bottles) of it, then either it's premixed, or you're using it neat.

Alex

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
redGhia,
Is that a photo of a 2.5L or 5L container?. It looks like a 5L, which would have caused the confusion.

So you need 3 x 2.5L or 1.5 x 5L. That is 7.5 litres of concentrate mixed 50/50 with water to make the 15L of coolant.

Just to clarify things a bit, you will never need a 70% or even a 60% mix in Australia. 50/50 is the max. Remember the more anti-freeze, the less the heat transfer into the coolant.

So $75 for 5 years, $25 a year, 48c a week. Cheap insurance.

cheers:beer:

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
PS hope you don't use spring water.
Plus if you use spring or demineralized water add another $5-$10
Deionised or distilled water is good but most spring water is very mineralised and bad for your cooling system.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The NULONE stuff looks good to me only becuase of their excellent adverting in street machine and aother car mags. Anyone have any opinions on this stuff?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I used Nulon this summer mainly because of the current advertising campaign in Street Machine. If I knew about the Valvoline/Merc stuff being this available I probably would have gone that way. But so far the Nulon is doing everything it should be (so far)..

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The Nulon Long Life is an excelllent product, I have it in the car at the moment (I just found out about the G-05 stuff a couple of days ago).

I will probably change it out next year and replace it with the Valvoline G-05. If I had some el-cheapo green stuff in it, it would be out this weekend.

Add: If you've got the Nulon Long Life in it, don't dump it out just yet. I've just had a look at the Nulon Long Life specs and it looks very similar to the the G-05 (low silicate, no phosphates etc). As Valvoline is using the BASF technology under licence, there is no reason why Nulon can't do the same.

So I sent an email to Nulon and asked them straight out "...is this the same formulation as the BASF Glysantin G-05?"

Watch this space. :wnc:

cheers

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Excellent my dear TopGhia.......

Hehe seriously though, that was a useful little tip, will be getting some of that coolant when I fill up the radiator next time :)

·
827 Posts
The pics are of a 2.5 litre bottle. I was just reading the info off the back off the label of the bottle. What is the differance in mineral content between rainwater and spring water??..

And no it cant be a premix because water still needs to be added to it..... A

After i posted i realized that this may be an antifreeze as well. Im only used to adding coolant to my sysyem and thats why the ratios are so high so you are right topghia

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is the differance in mineral content between rainwater and spring water??..
That depends where the spring water comes from. Some is soft, others hard. So unless you can get it tested for dissolved salts, rainwater or distilled water is the best.

I've just got a 200 litre plastic drum stuck under the air con that's in the bedroom window. Bit of flywire to keep the mossies in check, this does all my coolant and battery water.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts