Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that this article says much about the car, the motoring people in Europe look to have got themselves a good top quality car in the new Mondeo. Apart from praise from car scribes, I think the car has also won a few awards since its release. I don't pretend for a second that I know much about economics, but how is it that we're not getting this apparently excellent cars based on money when just about every car that's in the oppositions camp is an European export.
We all love the Falc but Ford needs to have more in it's stable, like the 80's...Falcon,Laser,Telstar,so on. I'm not rambling am I?
Rastus Article

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
The real question is whether Ford can land Mondeo for competitive costs with Vectra et al. The answer must be no. Remember Holden has export credits it uses to offset import costs of Astra/Vectra. Same problem exists for Focus, Festiva replacement.

I'm sure Geoff and crew are crunching some hard numbers for these problems.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
How much does the Mondeo and Vectra cost in NZ?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
XLR8_2001 said:
This thing that loses me is that NZ get it but we don't! Now explain that one!?!
Aren't tax rates different for smaller cars in NZ? That might explain why Mondeo would be more competitive vs Falcon etc. This may raise another issue with Mondeo. Maybe the cost of the car places it too close to the pricing point of Falcon in Australia. This would lead to discounting and loss of margin.
If you want a Mondeo in OZ, the Jag sounds like it's a great bit of gear - plus it's not FWD (neglect price for just one minute :CraZ: )

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
A press release regarding this issue last year was circulated when the company finalised the line-up for 2001.

Polites said "...the company had taken a hard look at its current line-up and had taken some dramatic steps to reposition Ford in the marketplace...""One of the tough calls has been to step away from Mondeo. The C/D market in which Mondeo competes is in decline. From 10.6% of the passenger industry in 1996, it's dropped to 8.3% in 99 and is currently running at 7.1% for 2000. Furthermore, it's forecast to drop further over the next few years, to around 5% in 2003...we won't be taking the new model next year."

"We don't want to be devoting resources to a market segment that's in serious decline if there are other more compelling sectors that we can concentrate on - and there are. We need to concentrate on the market areas that are in line with projected customer preferences and changes in the fast-moving global automotive market."

This leaves the Vectra to run wild in the C/D segment.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
RPO83 said:
The C/D market in which Mondeo competes is in decline. From 10.6% of the passenger industry in 1996, it's dropped to 8.3% in 99 and is currently running at 7.1% for 2000. Furthermore, it's forecast to drop further over the next few years, to around 5% in 2003...we won't be taking the new model next year."
Did ford ever think that the previous model Mondeo was a POS! and maybe thats why it wasn't selling:rolleyes:

The new Mondeo is a great car to look at and it's now a leader in its class for everything else aswell. If they brought it here, it would sell, and the Vectra woudl FLOP, just look at how crap the Vectra looks, exterior and interior, compared to the new Mondeo.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
The only problem for Ford with the Focus is where it will fit in the current line-up. Something would have to go, and it wouldn't be Laser.

Besides the problem of where it would fit, there are problems with importation anyway. The two variants that Ford Australia would consider are built in two different countries which would mean more investment on a car that would have been high on price anyway.

I had a poll on my site a few months back though and the vote for the Focus to come here was overwhelming:
488 votes: Yes, 24 votes: No, 12 votes undecided.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
If I had the AXE in my hands and it was up to me to get the Focus RS here, then I wouldn't even think twice about taking a swing at the Cougar. The Focus RS would sit nicely in FTE showrooms, and then they would have another WRX like CULT happening for sure.

If they could bring in the FOCUS RS (which would probably better the performance of the WRX), sell it for no more than 45 grand, I'd buy one!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
RPO83 said:
Something would have to go, and it wouldn't be Laser.
If the focus lands here the first car to go should be the laser. It's a friggin mazda for christ's sake. A focus is a Ford. See the thread on badge engineering for my thoughts on this... :thumbup:

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Another thing too, the Mondeo would probably fill the gap left by the Taurus as it is close in size.
NZ doesn't get the Cougar though which might explain why we get the Mondeo but currancy rates also have their factors as well.

NZ Mondeo pricing: (NZ $)

2.0L Sedan auto/manual $37,400/$35,900;
2.0L Zetec hatch auto/manual $37,400/$35,900;
2.0L Ghia hatch auto 42,900;
2.0L Wagon auto/manual $38,900/$37,400;
2.5L V6 ST Hatch manual $45,900.

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
NZ Falcon prices are: ($ NZ)

Forte A $41,100
Forte LPG A $ 42,600
Forte Wagon A $41,500
S M/A $44,600/$44,600
Futura A $44,600
Heritage A $45,250
Futura S/W Auto $45,500
XR6 Auto/manual $48,000/$48,000
XR6 VCT Auto/manual $54,800/$54,800
XR8 Auto/manual $59,990/$59,990
Fairmont 4.0L Auto $49,900
Fairmont 4.0L S/W Auto $51,900
Fairmont 5.0L V8 $54,900
Fairmont 5.0L V8 S/W $56,500
4.0L Ghia $60,7000
5.0L V8 Ghia $65,700

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
gtho4 said:
Christ!!! nearly 60 grand for a XR8.:CraZ:
...and that's on a base model! Imagine the price after adding options!:CraZ: :CraZ:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts