Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What E-series head is the best?

My bro's new EF Falcon needs a new head(which is okay cos the car was cheap anyways) and I think they will all roughly cost the same except for the XR6 heads.

So which is the best one to get? Does one flow better then all the rest, and is more reliable then the others?

We aren't considering any porting or any other mods, except maybe a mild cam.

·
96 EF Futura
2,494 Posts
AU heads fit with a bit of work....ask GMdetroyer about it

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Any XR6 head is generally better

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any XR6 head is generally better
Yes but XR heads are $1200 with just valves, so thats not an option.

I'd rather just have the best standards E-series head. I think I once read that the EB heads flow the most or something?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
AU heads have bigger valves, dunno if they flow better, but it could certainly be fixed with a bit of work.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
fordfanatic said:
What E-series head is the best?

My bro's new EF Falcon needs a new head(which is okay cos the car was cheap anyways) and I think they will all roughly cost the same except for the XR6 heads.

So which is the best one to get? Does one flow better then all the rest, and is more reliable then the others?

We aren't considering any porting or any other mods, except maybe a mild cam.
Best head would be an XR6 head... flows better than the rest.
Reliability would be about the same. But if you are worried about $$$, just get a standard head and get that tickled to your budget.

·
AKA: Spaniard
848 Posts
Generally speaking the EF-EL1 heads are good for usage then port it a bit but of course the XR6 is better.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
1200 bucks!!!!!! that insane!! sorry mate! didnt know! sheesh....

·
Registered
102 Posts
ummm read the question ppl he asked for the best standard head not an xr head !!!! just get an au head and a regrind

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
I think the EF is the best standard head, and mild/good gains can be seen relitively easily if worked on.

There was a post about this in one of the tech forums, and gm destroya went into a bit of detail about heads and workability.

EB XR is the highest flowing factory head.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there is some place in Melbourne that sells complete EA-EB heads brand new for $528. Would there be any problem putting this on the EF? Would there be any noticeable performance loss or anything? Was there any real difference between the EF and EA heads?

I'll still be using the EF cam most likely, and possibly the tappet arms as well.

·
"Steve has a car?"
2,207 Posts
EDFPV-6 said:
ummm read the question ppl he asked for the best standard head not an xr head !!!! just get an au head and a regrind
Maybe you should read the post again and see that he asked for the best E-series head, an AU aint e-series :p hehe sorry it hadto be said :angel:

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
the au head is only really good if you intend on porting it, but it does have the best head gasket sealing quality's

the ef cylinder head is the best to grab for a standard type head and is best suited to a very very mild port job (so basicly the best to have on a budget), with the eb xr having the highest flow right outa the box, but these cannot be hogged out to much,as the ports are already to big, as is the area behind the valves, hogging them out more, makes gas speed drop, it may go like a rocket over 4500rpm, but below that a stocker could whip ya.

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well actually AU is sorta E-series cos it has a E-series motor so Im willing to consider the AU head as well. But I always thought the AU had variable cam timing, so that head wouldn't work on a EF block would it?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
fordfanatic said:
Well actually AU is sorta E-series cos it has a E-series motor so Im willing to consider the AU head as well. But I always thought the AU had variable cam timing, so that head wouldn't work on a EF block would it?
Nah, the only AU's with VCT were Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane Ghia, LTD and XR6 VCT. I don't think I missed any.

Ash

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay we have decided to go with what we know works... the EF head, comes with new valves and valve springs and will cost $700. Woohoo gotta love ford prices... hehe. Oh well should last 15+ years if my bro changes his coolant regularly.

Anyways thanks for the help

·
Ride like the Wind
631 Posts
I sold an ED XR6 head for 500 bucks last year, just reconditioned the same day I sold it

Edit: Just get any head and take care of it and it be ok. In both my falcons, both ED's neither has ever blown a head gasket and both are 180000k's old.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah well I think with a XR6 cam and his 2.5" exhaust thats already on the car he should be getting around 155kw+ which should be plenty for him.

Another question: When we put the XR cam into the head and take all the rocker gear across to the new head, do we need to change the shims, or should it be fine with the ones that it currently has?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts