Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An email from Tickford when I asked about details for the XR8 upgrade:

I told you we would not disappoint!

1. The engine is the same Synergy 5000 as in the current T-Series vehicles. However, the spec for this has recently changed to include extensively modified cast cylinder heads in place of the alloy heads. They are better performing, and include bigger valves and extensive porting and machining around the chamber. The rest of the package includes the unique camshaft
and roller rockers, 70mm throttle body, revised fuel pressure reg., oil cooler, and the hi-flow exhaust manifolds.

2. Press details have been some-what misleading as the current bodykit is NOT standard. What is new and standard will be the rocker mouldings (or side skirts) from the Ford 75th Anniversary and "SR" vehicles. The optional full kit will replace these bits with the current kit.

3. You are most welcome to come for a tour of the facilities anytime, but we can try and arrange one for when your vehicle is on-line. Once you find out your SIDO number (from the Dealer), drop me a reply and I can look at when it is due here. Be advised that the 220kw XR8 is to commence from June build.

Customer Technical Assistance
Tickford Vehicle Engineering

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
Good stuff:thumbup::thumbup: But I bet my left nostril that it's just a fill in.Till the o.h.c,s come.Engineer new model for wide mod motor.It won't happen over night ....but.....it .....willl:CraZ: :CraZ:

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
I actually wouldn't mind a tour through Tickford - can you just book on a tour or do you have to be in an affiliated club etc?

I can't remember what the story was when I did the HSV tour - but you need to be Club 1 member to go thru HRT factory.

Would it be safe to park the SS in the carpark there ;)

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Hmm interesting news on the cylinder heads. I wonder if they switched heads to the GT40x or have just reworked the y heads.

I have sent a message to Tickford asking for the details and will post the findings if/when I get a reply.

For any NSW Tickford club members we will be trying to include information of this sort from Tickford in our (soon to be) distributed newsletters.

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
Do you honestly think they take the heads off.I reckon they are what Ford had made in the last batch.Power I guess would depend what manafolds/throttle body/exhaust etc are put on them.You can buy crate motors "new" in the states for about that much power.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What I want to know is what isgoing to happen the the FTE cars?

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
FTEfan said:
What I want to know is what isgoing to happen the the FTE cars?
Nothing I'm guessing, until they get the stroker in October or there abouts. I think the way Ford figure it is, that since the T's aren't selling at the moment, they can afford to up the power of the XR8 to get sales moving along there, knowing that its not going to affect sales of the T Series considering there not selling anyway.

·
Administrator
5,087 Posts
Good stuff.Cast over alloy heads seems strange but if it delivers the goods i spose it's good.Brendan:there mite be some trees to hide it behind somewhere he he.Doubt you will get in any photo shoots.Cool that you show an interest tho:thumbup:

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
YES more power for the lower spec.& lighter. too :thumbup:
I would have the alloy anytime if I had choice.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Brendan said:
Of course it would be. It's a Crumbledoor. No bastard anywhere Tickford is going to touch a POS car like that!!.. j/k. :p :thumbup:

Seriously though, I don't think we'll hear much from the FTe stable until the stroker is here. Could be a few (more) quiet months for the Fte dealers around the country... :(

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The XR8s from June with the 220 will be at Tickford for two weeks. This suggests a lot of extra work so I would say the engine is pulled apart to do the mods. Remember that the cam needs doing as well so realistically the engine has to come out of the car. The ideal situation would be that Ford fit the 220 engine on the line and Tickford do the bolt-ons.

Given the engine comes out of the car, I'm trying to see if I can get my engine shipped to Herrod rather than having it out of the car twice. WIll explain when I hear about this...

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't do the engine thing with Tickford/herrod. Bummer!

Here's another thing re. the bodykit. I asked to see if the bodykit is cheaper now that you get sideskirts standard. The answer is that the cost of the bodykit will cover the removal of the standard skirts (the bodykit skirts are different). Talk about paying for something twice..... :( :confused:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adam W said:
Can you buy the rest of the body kit and incorporate the side skirts that are now standard?.:confused:
Apparently they don't match. So it's all or nothing.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Brendan said:
I actually wouldn't mind a tour through Tickford - can you just book on a tour or do you have to be in an affiliated club etc?

I can't remember what the story was when I did the HSV tour - but you need to be Club 1 member to go thru HRT factory.

Try to keep tabs on the xrclub.com.au website, more than happy to have you join us!:CraZ:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Cylinder Heads etc

The Cast GT40P Iron cylinder heads are used on the new 220's the engines are disassembled at Tickford and rebuilt after port matching etc. The heads are CNC ported by Yellaterra in Melbourne the same company that supplies the roller rockers to a Ford specific program. You can not take you heads to Yella terra and get them done, I've tried. They flow as well as the Aluminum GT40s at half the cost. Just a tad more weight. Hope this helps.

·
Australian xr8 Member
82 Posts
I stand corrected,Again! You would think they'd Put the good heads on & all that before they put engine in.In the first place.:CraZ:

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Paul E

With the small volumes they were doing for T series I can see why they did it that way. Now that the XR8 is getting similar treatment I would think modifying and shipping the engines straight to the Ford assembly line would be more economical. Of course who knows what other factors are involved.

Anyway have a look at some of the pics I snapped at the Tickford day earlier this year. They were taken in the powetrain area. Excuse the lens flare in the last photo. Hey, I'm not a pro photographer!

http://members.optushome.com.au/anakha/Tickford Day 22.JPG
http://members.optushome.com.au/anakha/Tickford Day 26.JPG
http://members.optushome.com.au/anakha/Tickford Day 27.JPG
http://members.optushome.com.au/anakha/Tickford Day 28.JPG
http://members.optushome.com.au/anakha/Tickford Day 29.JPG

·
EL Fairmont Ghia Member
190 Posts
A 220kw XR8 would have me in heaven, pity my current salary couldn't afford to pay for it.............even getting Ford Discount.......

Bit of a pity about Kit. The SS comes as is, the XR should too, get rid of those crap 16's on the 6's and put 17's across the range. Make the kit std, and lower her at least 30mm, still sits to high!

Jas

1 - 20 of 26 Posts