Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ranchero Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a pic of my "other" hobby - my 1998 Jeep TJ. It is my primary driver and gets 'wheeled pretty hard on a regular basis.

This shot was taken at Chiva Falls, which is a few miles outside of Tucson.

Attachments

·
Classic Mustang Member
92 Posts
Ahhhh. I miss the fourwheel drive days. I started, in my youth (13), with a sandbuggy, then a dirt bike, then a sandrail, then a dunebuggie, then a fourwheeler, and finally a quad. All of them fun!

·
Multi Car Owner
930 Posts
I had a 87 and 89 grand Wagoneer, woody wagon, LOVED THEM! Some day will have to pick up another!

·
Ranchero Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't do without a 4x4 of some kind - it's a great stress reliever. It's nice to be able to get away from 99% of the people - on most of the trails I run, I seldom see anyone else besides those in my group.

Jim - I actually started out with a VW Baja, which was very capable (it even pulled a full size Bronco out of the sand...boy was he embarassed:D). Rails are a lot of fun, but I like being able to crawl over obstacles instead of having to hit them at speed.:eek: I tried a dirt bike once, and an ATC a few times...I think I'll stick to my Jeep.;)

Tim - My first 4X4 was an '82 Cherokee Chief. I really like the FS Jeeps, and thought about buying a Grand Wagoneer a few years ago. I've seen a few around town recently, one was really clean and going for around $3000. I really miss having all that extra room, and with the Cherokee I didn't even need a tent for camping - just take the back seat out and throw the sleeping bag down. Can't do that with the TJ - I'm short, but not that short!:D

M

·
0 Posts
I've had nothing but 4x's for the last 25 years, but haven't been wheeling much lately. I hate that first ding on a new truck, and I never go wheeling that I don't come back with one. I need to pick up an old CJ or something to play with. Looks like you have fun with the T. Just keep that shiny blue side up. ;)

·
Ranchero Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been pretty fortunate so far - the only dent I have is from a shopping cart.:fmad: Can't even claim that as trail damage.:( I do have lots of "Arizona Pinstriping," most of which is too deep to buff out. Oh well, when I bought the Jeep, I knew it would get scratched and dinged up...in fact, I almost "removed" the stock rear bumper the first weekend.:D

I've installed skids, heavier bumpers (made the front one myself), and rocker guards to kind of protect things. The rockers have really saved serious body damage on many occasions - like in the first pic.:eek:

Now, if you crawl under the Jeep, it looks like someone took a BFH and a grinder to it.:WH:

·
Ranchero Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MazdaSOHC said:
Just keep that shiny blue side up. ;)
It looks blue to me, too. In fact, when I bought it, I didn't realize that it wasn't until looking at the paperwork...and seeing that it's "Bright Jade." My color vision sucks, but hey, I don't feel too bad now.:D:D:D:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
DanB
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing