Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mmmm, forbidden donut
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Something that has been bugging me for a while now is this, Ford make a kick ass concept car in the R5 ute, it is hugely popular and acclaimed, and they decide that its a no go project (from what I've heard so far). Isn't the point of a concept car to show that Ford CAN do it? So why not do it? OK it may cost money but based on the success of the ute so far I'm pretty sure they'd be onto a winner...

Why else would you spend the money doing it in the first place?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Although it does happen rarely do concept cars see the light of day in the form they are first shown. Their purpose is to find out public reaction to a particular design or feature. Most concepts do carry production ideas and concepts that you will see in future models

·
Mmmm, forbidden donut
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough.

Its just that Holden seems a lot quicker when it comes to putting concepts into reality - Coupe and the upcoming Utester (useless though it is..) come to mind..

I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for the AV and onwards goodies...

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I agree. I guess part of the reason might be that Ford do have so much ground to catch up and have to concentrate on production issues. I really don't know.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
From what I understand the R5 is still being evaluated as part of the Raptor program. Don't quote me on this as I could be completely wrong but that's what I heard last.
Some of the ideas from the R5 and the 300+ could well make it into production. I think the fold down rear seats in the R5 is a brilliant idea. Why this isn't put into all dual cab ute's I don't know. Increases the tray no end. Should be a standard feature if you ask me... :D :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I suspect the fold down rear seat would have safety issue re the load finding its way into the cab etc etc, but there is no doubt that the R5 does carry significant issues for the raptor program

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
There is also the point fo trying to spark an interest in the respective manufacturers cars like was done with the predator which was easily able to be done by anyone. Pity the sequential gearbox thingy never made it into production, besides the gimmik used in the TS50 remember the add: "Change Gears Like Schumacher" Heh :D :wink2:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
DONUT KING said:
...besides the gimmik used in the TS50 remember the add: "Change Gears Like Schumacher" Heh :D :wink2:
There was an ad for the TS50!?? :eek: When was it shown? 4am on a tuesday morning? :confused:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
As much as Ford are struggling at the moment, I have reliable info that suggests the R5 (or its concept) is definitely a GO!;)

Holden have so much money at the moment that what ever prototype they release, they can virtually throw it onto the production line!

Ford are tight as at the moment and this is reflected in the limited/dodgy TV advertising, although the new adds I must say are awesome, and the limited number of their own showcars, ie 300+ AEC/Millard, Xplod, Sony/Herrod.

Ford are putting all their $$$ into the AV, I'd hate to think whats gonna happen if the AV doesn't take off :rolleyes:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
DONUT KING said:
Please, don't make me contemplate that :eek:
Sorry mate, I just can't help thinking about what could happen. With the announement by MOTOR of the future engine specs over at fishermans bend, 188kw standard, 240 kw turbo with almost 500Nm at 2000Rpm, and god knows what their updated LS1 will be pumping out, I hope Ford are on the ball and can match this!

·
EB Fairmont Owner
191 Posts
On the other hand, just reading over at ls1.com that a few of the guys are having trouble getting a good service done for their commies.

Apparently the general feels that because they are selling so many commies that they can get away with poor after sales servicing.

The AV will do better than the AU - I dont think theres a doubt in my mind. Geoff's on the ball, he's made the right moves so far IMHO.

Jase

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
JEM said:
Ford are putting all their $$$ into the AV, I'd hate to think whats gonna happen if the AV doesn't take off :rolleyes:
Bastard would want to. The only saving grace is that Ford US has a bigger war chest than any other auto company and should come to the party if things sour.
I believe the new Ford worldwide philosophy is to build affordable cars that look and feel more expensive. Classy looks and sweet power... Yes please!!.. :D :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
7 Participants
The Stylist
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing