Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering buying a mid-size SUV in preparation for our first (of hopefully a number of kids). We currently drive a 8 year old Ford Focus and a 10-11 year old similar sized other company hatchback. The plan is to get rid of the older car first and get a midsize SUV now and then in 3-4 years when the Focus gives out then buy something bigger than the midsize SUV. Just FYI, we are the type of people to drive a car until it dies/into the ground so we won't be trading in in 3-5 years (assuming nothing dramatic happens). FYI, my in-laws have an 2017-2018 Edge Titanium model and love it.

We drove an Edge (SEL - FWD - not our preferred trim but just to get a feel of the car) and the Santa Fe around this weekend for about 45 minutes each. The Edge felt really wide to drive but I would assume that would be the case with any bigger car when I am used to a small hatchback.

What we liked about the Edge:
  • Way better looking interior than the Santa Fe - a lot sleeker. The Hyundai interior/center console is a mess with the infotainment screen stuck on top like an iPad and only controls the radio.
  • Lots of cubby holes to put stuff.
  • Bigger trunk space - important for us as baby comes with a lot of stuff.
  • Salesperson is a family friend and might be able to work a great deal for us.
  • More solidly built - when we drove the Hyundai around on bumpy roads, the rear seats shook.
What we didn't like about the Edge:
  • Felt a little heavy to drive/turn - Santa Fe rode a little better and was more nimble (but it's 500 pounds lighter so it's to be expected).
  • My wife likes the look of the Santa Fe exterior better (but she hated the interior as it seemed not as polished).
  • To be honest, the Edge seems a little overpriced in general compared to the Santa Fe (although it's known that Ford likes to mark up their prices really high and then offer huge discounts).
  • The warranty is not as good as Hyundai.
If we were to go with the Edge, we would be looking at the SEL trim with some options (no to the sunroof though). We have a number of questions for anyone:
  1. What are some things you like about your Edge and what are some things you dislike about the Edge?
  2. How fast does the A/C & heating kick in and how powerful is it? (aka when it's blisteringly hot or freezing cold). We live in Canada so we can expect both extremes.
  3. For the seating material, how easy to clean/stain resistant are the regular cloth seats compared to the ActiveX fake-leather seats? Also, how comfortable are the ActiveX seats compared to the cloth ones?
  4. Foot activated liftgate - how often do you use it compared to just clicking the button on the keyfob? To me, it would make sense to use it when I'm carrying something like groceries.
  5. Wireless changing pad - how often do you use it and how annoying is taking the cover off of your cellphone in order to charge it? My wife said that she would only really use that feature when driving long distances but with a newborn baby, that might not happen as much as we think.
  6. Has the fuel economy of your model gone up or down compared to the projected amount?
  7. Reliability - has your Edge had any major reliability issues? My father-in-law has an 2017-2018 Edge Titanium and the only thing he's had is one recall for the weather stripping on the rear wheel wells. My wife has a 2012 Ford Focus with the major transmission issues and it's still not right (although it's never costed us anything). I'm a big believer in how you drive the car can determine the reliability too.
We are looking to spend a max of $35,000 USD/$48,000 CAD (taxes and fees included). We might also consider buying a new 2019 since it's basically the same car if we get a really good price on it.

Any thoughts you can give are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 2019 edge in November. 8200 kilometers on it. So far great. To answer some of your enquiries.
1.I like the way it feels on the road. Some of the lane keeping sensors are too sensitive. Adaptive cruise is great.
2.AC works well and gets cold enough on the hottest days so far.
3.We have a titanium with the leather so cant say about active x.
4.Foot control is nice to have but dont really need it.
5.Wireless charging pad is a great feature. it works well and is fast. this i would like to have in all my cars.
6.Averaging about 31 miles per imp gallon or 11 km per liter. Dont use the liters per hundred.
7.No issues on vehicle.
Our edge listed for 52500 with a 7200 trade we were all in for41750

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just bought a 2019 edge in November. 8200 kilometers on it. So far great. To answer some of your enquiries.
1.I like the way it feels on the road. Some of the lane keeping sensors are too sensitive. Adaptive cruise is great.
2.AC works well and gets cold enough on the hottest days so far.
3.We have a titanium with the leather so cant say about active x.
4.Foot control is nice to have but dont really need it.
5.Wireless charging pad is a great feature. it works well and is fast. this i would like to have in all my cars.
6.Averaging about 31 miles per imp gallon or 11 km per liter. Dont use the liters per hundred.
7.No issues on vehicle.
Our edge listed for 52500 with a 7200 trade we were all in for41750
Thanks for your reply,

What would you say about trunk lighting and how good/bad the headlights are driving at night?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the adaptive led lights. my wife loves them and she has had vision concerns. Better than our last car lights.
I have led lights in my F150 too and can say they are very good . Led is the wat to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the adaptive led lights. my wife loves them and she has had vision concerns. Better than our last car lights.
I have led lights in my F150 too and can say they are very good . Led is the wat to go.
We bought a 2020 Edge ST a week and a half ago. Turned a couple in their later 70's into teenagers again. I have had over the years a 1967 SS/RS 350 Camaro, and two Preludes a 84 and a 91, so I have experienced fun driving cars. The ST with 2.7L twin turbo V6 is fun to drive. I have the lane keeping set to only alert and not correct. Hate the the Start-Stop, and may get the module that goes in the switch wiring to keep it off on starts automagically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering buying a mid-size SUV in preparation for our first (of hopefully a number of kids). We currently drive a 8 year old Ford Focus and a 10-11 year old similar sized other company hatchback. The plan is to get rid of the older car first and get a midsize SUV now and then in 3-4 years when the Focus gives out then buy something bigger than the midsize SUV. Just FYI, we are the type of people to drive a car until it dies/into the ground so we won't be trading in in 3-5 years (assuming nothing dramatic happens). FYI, my in-laws have an 2017-2018 Edge Titanium model and love it.

We drove an Edge (SEL - FWD - not our preferred trim but just to get a feel of the car) and the Santa Fe around this weekend for about 45 minutes each. The Edge felt really wide to drive but I would assume that would be the case with any bigger car when I am used to a small hatchback.

What we liked about the Edge:
  • Way better looking interior than the Santa Fe - a lot sleeker. The Hyundai interior/center console is a mess with the infotainment screen stuck on top like an iPad and only controls the radio.
  • Lots of cubby holes to put stuff.
  • Bigger trunk space - important for us as baby comes with a lot of stuff.
  • Salesperson is a family friend and might be able to work a great deal for us.
  • More solidly built - when we drove the Hyundai around on bumpy roads, the rear seats shook.
What we didn't like about the Edge:
  • Felt a little heavy to drive/turn - Santa Fe rode a little better and was more nimble (but it's 500 pounds lighter so it's to be expected).
  • My wife likes the look of the Santa Fe exterior better (but she hated the interior as it seemed not as polished).
  • To be honest, the Edge seems a little overpriced in general compared to the Santa Fe (although it's known that Ford likes to mark up their prices really high and then offer huge discounts).
  • The warranty is not as good as Hyundai.
If we were to go with the Edge, we would be looking at the SEL trim with some options (no to the sunroof though). We have a number of questions for anyone:
  1. What are some things you like about your Edge and what are some things you dislike about the Edge?
  2. How fast does the A/C & heating kick in and how powerful is it? (aka when it's blisteringly hot or freezing cold). We live in Canada so we can expect both extremes.
  3. For the seating material, how easy to clean/stain resistant are the regular cloth seats compared to the ActiveX fake-leather seats? Also, how comfortable are the ActiveX seats compared to the cloth ones?
  4. Foot activated liftgate - how often do you use it compared to just clicking the button on the keyfob? To me, it would make sense to use it when I'm carrying something like groceries.
  5. Wireless changing pad - how often do you use it and how annoying is taking the cover off of your cellphone in order to charge it? My wife said that she would only really use that feature when driving long distances but with a newborn baby, that might not happen as much as we think.
  6. Has the fuel economy of your model gone up or down compared to the projected amount?
  7. Reliability - has your Edge had any major reliability issues? My father-in-law has an 2017-2018 Edge Titanium and the only thing he's had is one recall for the weather stripping on the rear wheel wells. My wife has a 2012 Ford Focus with the major transmission issues and it's still not right (although it's never costed us anything). I'm a big believer in how you drive the car can determine the reliability too.
We are looking to spend a max of $35,000 USD/$48,000 CAD (taxes and fees included). We might also consider buying a new 2019 since it's basically the same car if we get a really good price on it.

Any thoughts you can give are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
If you get the Edge make sure you get the extended warranty before you reach 60k I didn't and a ck engine light came on. It was a miss fire in #2 cylinder ford's fix is a new long block!! 81k miles and I need a new engine. There are 100's or more with the same problem. This problem has been around for several years. Maybe they corrected but I would check on it. 30k spent 3 years ago and now it is not worth too much. Other than that I really like the car. We just bought the other car you just drove. I call Ford customer care every few days and ask for assistance. This problem has been around since 2015 and they have not corrected it as of yet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts