Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a second car for fun days such as club track events. Looking at '98 EL generation XR's. I'm a bit of a fan of the 6 cylinders... but also according to redbook.com.au the EL XR6 had 164kW and the XR8 had 170kW out of the factory. Does anyone know the torque figures on these cars in factory spec? What were the redlines in these cars?

I would think that the EL XR8 would have a bit of scope for more performance out of it than 170kW with some careful spending. Apart from Sparkles' immaculate example of an EL XR8 i'm looking at something a bit more bog standard to start with. Any thoughts about what costs should be?

I'm mainly theorising at the moment so no hard offers to buy your car (i don't have the car space in an apartment). Also whats good mods to be made to help performance along? I'm a big fan of the BHP rules to modifications, Braking, Handling and then Performance.

Thoughts?

·
Bourbon powered V8
4,751 Posts
XR6: ckford Enhanced 4.0 litre SOHC (single over head cam) inline 6 cylinder featuring:
164kW @ 5000 rpm.
366Nm @ 3150 rpm

XR8: 5.0 litre OHV (over head valve) V8.
170kw @ 4500 rpm. (Updated version: 185kW @ rpm.)
398Nm @ 3000 rpm. (Updated version: Nm @ rpm.)

Or if you go for a series 2 EL, the XR8 had 185 kw and around 415 Nm

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TIKFD6 said:
Why not go a little bit older Ian, something like an ed.
:p
You can get just as good power out of them, and they are a cheaper starting price generaly.

Yes well thats also a possibility - but i'm also still a little about the external style of the car ;-) and I prefer the look of the EL

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
You could look at a Sprint, which has got a great starting point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts