Ford Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Official position of Aussie Pete is that after extensive Engineering Evaluation of many oil additives (in a professional organisation) oil additives are almost entirely crock.

Please continue this discussion without me.

XR9 you have a PM!

G

·
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
On the subject of Teflon additives i cannot see how it will damage an engine. Basic principle is it coats the engine internals with a teflon layer, hence when engine is cold theres a protection player on the metal to metal contact, hence reduced wear on startup. I realise power gains claimed are very very sketchy.
but if an additive is only used every 80k i don't think any harm will be done to the engine, i reckon at worst it does nothing.

With my engine running like new at 200k i find it pretty hard to believe that the engine will suddenly break down.
Actually what happens is the teflon flows around in the oil and doesn't coat the engine parts. It can't actually coat anything without a special process. So what you have is globules of teflon floating around and these can actually cause damage by blocking your filter and reducing oil flow.

It is the combination of heavy metals and other chemicals that cause the acids to form.

As far as power gains ,yes it varies tremendously.
One example tested independantly by a University was a brand X V6 engine which went from 118Kw to 136Kw when EF was used.
It already had Mobil one as the base oil. Perhaps more importantly was the massive reduction in wear metals found in the oil after testing.

Pete.

G

·
Jase_ELXR8 said:
XR9,

so what's so different about ef then???? What does it do how does it work???
Ok for a start it has none of the bad things in it:teflon,heavy metals or distillates. so it won't clog your filter,form acids or glaze your bores.

How does it work? Basically;
What it does is link oil molecules to the surface of the metal in a way that prevents the oil from overheating and breaking down. It effectively makes the surface of the metal behave like it doesn't have the microscopic mountains you would normally see.

Ive been using a drop in my uni joints as well and they last much longer. I usually destroy a rear uni every month but with EF I can get at least two months. BTW totally smashed bearing cups are a thing of the past..... I just change them when I get sick of the vibration.

It's made in Perth by Horizon.

Pete.

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
From my experience a truck drivers' 21% is different than say, a schoolteachers 21%. Same value but different quantity (or some crap like that)

anyways,

I used to sell PRO-MA products at my auto elec shop. I believe that it IS good stuff and had the little spinning bearing/friction machine with a torque meter attached. We tested a lot of additive on it and only found one that was close to pro-ma's performance!

I once bought an EF taxi, with 560,000klm (still the original block), which was a bit noisy and had severe lifter rattles. One dose of 250ml pro-ma, MBL8 into the hot motor, problem solved intstanlty. Ater that the engine seemed to want to rev harder and started a lot easier:s5 Even after a couple of oil changes the pro-ma musthave still been sticking in the engine somewhere cos the noises never came back!

:eek:o1:

·
Super Moderator
3,909 Posts
I had a bad experience with a well known oil additive. Added a can of ***** as directed to a 4 litre hemi next day the engine was blowing smoke; it had turned the valve seals from rubber to solid and broken them in pieces; I vowed never again.

That said I'm a Red-x upper cylinder head lubricant fan (my 1980 LC Lancer never had the head off and still runs perfectly after 270,000 km). Still I don't use it in my two Fairlanes as I worry it might plug the catalytic convertor.

G

·
botch said:
From my experience a truck drivers' 21% is different than say, a schoolteachers 21%. Same value but different quantity (or some crap like that)

anyways,

I used to sell PRO-MA products at my auto elec shop. I believe that it IS good stuff and had the little spinning bearing/friction machine with a torque meter attached. We tested a lot of additive on it and only found one that was close to pro-ma's performance!

I once bought an EF taxi, with 560,000klm (still the original block), which was a bit noisy and had severe lifter rattles. One dose of 250ml pro-ma, MBL8 into the hot motor, problem solved intstanlty. Ater that the engine seemed to want to rev harder and started a lot easier:s5 Even after a couple of oil changes the pro-ma musthave still been sticking in the engine somewhere cos the noises never came back!

:eek:o1:
We tested Pro-ma along with alot of others on the same type of machine and it failed dismally I'm afraid. While it does have an effect on performance initially, like most of the others it contains heavy metals and distillates which are bad for the engine in the long run.
Most(including Pro-ma) we found would stall out the motor at 50-60 ft/lb torque. Interestingly some Wynns stuff stalled out at 70 ft/lb which made it the best of the bunch. EF actually went way past the actual limit of the torque wrench (150ft/lb). In fact I nearly tipped the machine off the stand when trying to stall it out.
Absolutely unbelievable! We even put water in the reservoir and it kept on spinning!
We showed this to a couple of Pro-ma guys who immediately stopped selling Pro-ma and switched to EF.

And yes, noise reduction of engines, gearboxes and diffs is another plus with EF, especially noticeable in diesels.

So it's not that these other additives don't work it's just that they don't work even half as well EF and all have detrimental effects on mechanical parts in the long run.

Pete.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Well Gee gentlemen... After reading this thread & nearly pissing my pants with laughter I thought I would offer an opinion.
I have been using EF for the last 9mths & "Im a believer".
Ive seen an engine run with just a squirt around the crank etc without a sump nor any oil whatsoever & run for 30 mins b4 adding another squirt of the "Good Oil"
Few of you people know that my $$$347 EDXR8$$$ lost oil pressure awhile back due to the pump bolts work'n their loose & allowing a huge majority drain back into the sump. Well after a FULL engine strip down I had found NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER, & this includes the 50 or so K's I had done to get the girl back home.
I checked gudgeon pins main/rod bearings,cam bearings,pistons &bores,lifter bores etc & man ya couldnt even find a tiny "heat score".
Fair enuff everyones sick of the PRO'S & CONS of oil additives but when one finally does come along & proves to be a winner we still shake our heads knowing that ya cant teach an old dog new tricks... Well times are changing..
For those of you in PERTH check out the Canningvale markets on a saturday Youll find this engine still running along & be able to purchase some for yaselves.. Otherwise Perth Street Car mag did a write up on this stuff awhile ago with testimonies from different companies & drag racers both here & in the US who DO use this stuff.... So rather than bag each other try it out you have nothing to lose & heaps to gain..
P.S. To those of you with "ticking" XR8's etc This stuff WILL solve your problems TRUST ME otherwise Ill email my nuts to ya!!!!!
Dedication to none
Brett

:eek:o1: :eek:o1: :eek:o1: :eek:o1:

·
Registered
593 Posts
As an aside, I used to have an engine that was a wee bit tired .... I would go into Autobarn and buy one of everything: Stop Leaks, Stop Noises, Stop Smoke, Stop Vibrations, Stop Pinging, Stop Ponging ..... and a little bit of Go Faster, Go Harder, Go Better. Don't know if they worked, but the manager of the store loved me ......!!!

·
XD's rule
135 Posts
well i work on a farm, during hay season the tractors (turbo - diesel engines) are running 2100 - > 2300 rpm 15hrs / day without a break (fairly high rpm for a diesel)

a particular tractor, john deer 4cy 100hp turbo was using 15 "pumps" (from a 20L drum) of oil per day (no visible smoke or anything, ~6000hrs of service) and running in the middle of temp gauge.
the service place gave us a bottle of this "EF" stuff to use and we tested it in this tractor, oil use reduced from 15 pumps to ~10 pumps and operating temp (~30 deg ambient) reduced ~ 10 - 20%), we used ~ 7L less fuel in a day (~ usage was something like 80 -100L/day in this tractor)

so it did do something in this case...
but now the shop that stocked it has changed hands and they no longer have the stuff, and no-one else knows WTF is is so we cant get our hands on any more to trial in the larger tractors! (6cy - 150hp)

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
contact #

HORIZON LUBRICATION TECHNOLOGY
Ken May
Ph# 0892910388
Fax# 0892910399
Mob# 0419952324
Now you know!!
Cheers
Brett:eek:o1:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was down at KMart tonight and reading the box of Nulon E30 engine treatment.
They claim to have driven a crummydore from Sydney to Melbourne after being treated with E30 then having ALL oil drained from the sump ie. 1000km with out oil. and still running when it got to Melbourne.
This test was claimed to be supervised by RMIT (royal melbourne institute of technology)

Like I have said in previous posts, I have used it in all my vehicles (engine, trans and diff) for the past 10 years or so and have nothing but praise for these products.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Can you buy this EF stuff over on East Coast anywhere, such as Repco, Super Cheap, Autobarn etc?

·
Super Moderator
3,909 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Ghia said:

Just out of interest which oil warns against adding additives?
It does't warn against the use of additives, it warns against mixing mineral oil or additives that may not be in keeping with the design of full synthetic oil which is the reason I have never used additives.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We tested Pro-ma along with alot of others on the same type of machine and it failed dismally I'm afraid. While it does have an effect on performance initially, like most of the others it contains heavy metals and distillates which are bad for the engine in the long run.
Most(including Pro-ma) we found would stall out the motor at 50-60 ft/lb torque. Interestingly some Wynns stuff stalled out at 70 ft/lb which made it the best of the bunch. EF actually went way past the actual limit of the torque wrench (150ft/lb). In fact I nearly tipped the machine off the stand when trying to stall it out.
Absolutely unbelievable! We even put water in the reservoir and it kept on spinning!
We showed this to a couple of Pro-ma guys who immediately stopped selling Pro-ma and switched to EF.

And yes, noise reduction of engines, gearboxes and diffs is another plus with EF, especially noticeable in diesels.

So it's not that these other additives don't work it's just that they don't work even half as well EF and all have detrimental effects on mechanical parts in the long run.

Pete.
Obviously you are a distributor of EF. I do not know what Pro-ma performance products you were testing with your friction machine, but it is not the Pro-Ma performance product which we use and also test on many friction machines. Our testings with Pro-Ma performance products goes way over the limit of the pressure torque dial and in fact will not cause any torque machine to seize up no matter how much pressure is applied on the torque Machines. What are your test bed for your EF products and what engineering firm will attest to your testings ? Pro-Ma performance products had been tested by TAFE in Queensland at the request of Queensland government agencies and councils who wanted to use the products in their vehicles and machinery. The elaborate and extensive tests done by TAFE engineers and mechanics has proven the Pro-Ma product work as claimed by the manufactures of the the product. These tests are available on the internet for your perusal. Many videos of the testing of the Pro-Ma products on Torque machines are available on Youtube for viewing. It would be wise of you to stop your unproven put down of the Pro-Ma products. For that matter Pro-Ma does not go around putting down EF or other additves on the market but any Pro-Ma distributor would be willing to go head to head comparison with any additive product on the market including EF against the Pro-Ma performance products.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts