Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just got back some pics while it was on the lift. Think you can see a little better the job that was done!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Were your dyno runs made with the cut-outs open or closed?

And looks like some really clean work, whoever did it, did a good job.

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
What type of mufflers did you have put on,and are those cut outs cable operated?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are flowmaster delta 40's

The knockoffs are not cable operated. Those cable ones will never seal properly. Think of the design of the pipe to have a trap door that will seal on both sides of the round pipes. Also the pivot is never sealed and usually just wobbles around in there letting the exhaust out and sounding like crap.

I have to crawl under the car for mine. but they are just 3 nuts per side. Takes less than 2 min to get them off.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
97 Posts
just wondering...how high from the ground do your pipes/mufflers sit?

·
Taurus Member
59 Posts
How do you like your american thunder system? Does it resonate inside the car a lot? Do you know if you can get side pipes with that system?

·
Vintage Mustang Member
26 Posts
The cut outs look awesome! I was thinking about putting them on my car but do you think i should buy a new exhaust system first? The pipes look like about 2 1/2" and i would like to get new ones but im on a budget so im not going to blow $300 on exhaust just to gain a few extra horses and a better sound. The cutouts i saw were $27 each from the summit catalog and i was wondering if it would be better just to get those and leave them open or does it sound really stupid? It says for race use only but is that just because of the noise level? I want my car to be really loud and sound like a race car and will that do the job? I hate it when hondas and civics have those big pipes on them and are really loud but with nothing under the hood so im not one of those people. I just want my car to sound like it has the power that it does have. How many horses do the cut outs produce? If i were to replace the existing system how many horses would i get from that if i bought a flowmaster system (if they make one for a 67). The American thunder system is in here but it doesnt have 67 stuff in the summit catalog. What system did you buy? I want a loud low rumble so that people can hear me comming from around the corner. Can I get that with just mufflers? Any info would be really helpfull. Thanks

·
Multi Car Member
36 Posts
If you want LOUD mufflers, get Flowmaster 40 series. The original design, not the deltas. They don't cost much either because they're not stainless steel.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the delta 40s because they are supposed to sound the same outside the car, but cut down on resonation and noise inside. Its pretty loud at times, but not obnoxiously so. Flowmasters are pretty unrestrictive as far as mufflers go. Probably won't see big number differences. The cutouts are big time cop magnets. I did them less for power and more to set off car alarms. I uncapped them yesterday for a car show and it went over pretty good. I did not get a kit because they don't make one. Flowmaster does make an over the axle pipe(from mufflers to out the back). I brought my exhaust guy the mufflers, the over the axle pipes(they are mandrel bent) and the cutouts. he custom fit the over the axle pipes and everything else. It would not have hung right with the over the axle pipe as it came, but he said they would flow better than the ones he could make out of raw material. I used those $27 ones from summitt on the car. Worked and made fine. Believe it or not the wing nuts don't come loose as long as you tighten them a little with a cresent wrench!:s5

·
Vintage Mustang Member
26 Posts
How much did the shop charge you to put just the cut outs on? About how much is it for someone to put new gears in the rear end on? Thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He did not itemize my work, just a total price. With all the described parts he then finished out the rest for $400. Lot of money for pretty much just installation, but I hit him with 5 seprate specific custom ways I wanted things done and he did them all. I think you will be able to find someone close by for fairly cheap. Get a couple of quotes from different places. Something to realize is that it does not work very well to weld on used exhaust pipe. The stuff just does not behave the same as new material. You may wish to wait until you have the rest of your setup ready to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts