Ford Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 F-150 and 2016 Expedition
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Expedition EL Limited with the 3.5L V6 Eco boost. I’ve replaced my throttle body twice in 3 years now! I know these vehicles (along with other Fords from around 2015-2016 as well) have a throttle body recall, or are at least notorious for throttle body failure. I did some reading and it said that the contacts can become contaminated, causing failure.
My question is: What are the contacts being contaminated with?? Fluid? Dust? And how?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I opened the throttle body up and there was about an ounce of what looked like engine oil. It was actually WET with oil inside where the solenoid (or whatever the battery looking thing) is. That’s not cool!! I’m assuming that’s why these things keep failing. So I guess I’ll have to spend $200 on a new throttle body every two years?? NOT cool!! 😡

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
No, you can clean them. First, I'd find out why are you producing so much oil vapor. There is a TSB for later models that reprogram to prevent the higher vacuum at higher RPMs, check with Ford. Other wise, you might have a defective PCV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured I could clean it, but my point is, I shouldn’t have to!! And like I said, I’m pretty sure it’s been a known problem for that era of several Fords. Anyway, thank you for the reply. Looks like I have some investigating to do. 👍 What is a TSB??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts