Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I get it done or not? That is the question. I found a place in LA that would do it for $350 and they would port and polish the throttle body and install larger diameter butterflies. Anybody have an opinion, comments, thoughts, or know what I might be able to expect from this being done?

·
Hardcore GL Tuner
190 Posts
Well...

IMO I don't think it's worth the price to have them do it. I'm sure your car would idle worse also. If you want to polish/cone your TB yourself it would be a good idea, but as far as paying someone else to do it, I don't think our cars flow enough go benefit from it greatly. Now if you had a turbo, ehh maybe.

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Cybervampyre, if you know of a bolt on turbo system that i can get my hands on, just let me know! :bs3:
Or if you want to hook up to make something work out, I can create mounting brackets and so forth! :beerchuge:

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
turbo wouldn't be worth it on the N/A. it still is cheaper to just transplant everything you need from a wrecked GT.

and, i don't know, but 350 sounds like a bit more than i would be willing to pay. but that's just my .02 cents.

·
Hardcore GL Tuning
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zkiller, your statements about swapping a wrecked gt are true, but I really love my GL engine and tranny. They have worked so well together during the life of the car (yes, I have owned it since the showroom floor. Amazing aint it!). Just trying something different.
As for the P&P job, my buddy actually found this place and offered a swap for my working on his car (install adjustable coilovers). So I really wouldnt be paying for it, just didnt know if it would really be worth it.
But on the otherhand, both you and cybervampyre answered my question and helped me to resolve this conflict of getting it done. Thanx :bs3:

·
Probeless Moderator
196 Posts
well, i am glad we could help you out there! and good luck with whatever you decide to do!!! keep us up to date on how things turn out though! :bcool:

·
turbo PGLer
46 Posts
$350 is more than most people pay for a brand new, good design tb. I don't recommend doing it, either. They're not that hard, I've done them on both my cars (those of you who know me from pt, I'm matt89glturbo) I will start doing these as part of kamikiazi engineering, and will charge way less than $350. I'm thinkin' like $50. I don't upgrade the butterflies, though. Bigger butterflies tend to create a rough idle, and usually only increase throttle response. The most I've ever seen as a gain on a dyno is between 1-2hp. I have yet to get my Gl turbo back on the road since p&p, but the '90 Gl is pulling strong on 198k miles, so something must have happened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts