Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this article on autospeed. It was written about 6 months ago.
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1805/article.html?popularArticle

I quote:

"Mash the loud pedal to the floor and you can feel the beautifully supportive and comfortable sports seats absorb a good portion of your body weight, but there isn't the sudden neck-snapping jolt of response there is in, say, a Mitsubishi Magna Sport manual. Instead, Ford has damped the response of their electronic throttle control system for enhanced control and safety"

I assume this is the new drive by wire system they are referring to.
Is there any way we can put the fun back into mashing the pedal to the metal?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was told by the Ford Dealer that the drive-by-wire throttle system was 'more responsive' than the conventional cable system? What on earth is the article trying to get at?

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I can't see how drive by wire could be more responsive than a cable.
Though I could easily see it being engineered to be less responsive.

Rick.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
It's not only on the BOSS engines though that this happens...the I6s suffer the same fate, less off a take-off...and it is due to the drive-by-wire. Compare the BAs to AUs and you will notice that when you plant the foot the AU takes off slightly quicker than the BA does.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Contact Team GT
They had theres remapped for racing, and might able to tell you how

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Team GT's was remapped by FPV engineers, and also I think they were still considering replacing it with a cable, along with a change of ECU.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want that sharp snappy feeling when i plant the foot down.
I want to be able to loose the @ss end in second gear... :eek:)
WHo is team GT? and what are their contact details?

if its all done via the computer..surely it wouldnt be too hard to reprogram the throttle position response.

Imagine if you could configure it inside the car whist driving...wouldn't that be nice :eek:)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
outback_ute said:
Team GT's was remapped by FPV engineers, and also I think they were still considering replacing it with a cable, along with a change of ECU.
Yes very true, and I think the engineers only got a fraction out of reprogramming. So perhaps cable is the ugly alternative?

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
I have noticed this 'new' feature as well and can say that it is something I do not like about the BA's.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright... any chaps here bright enough to build an onboard drive by wire controller? :eek:) This would be a very ideal mod. Perhaps Mr Herrod can look into this?

I doubt it would make much different from standing starts....but in gear acceleration would be improved....which is what v8s are all about....the in gear rush!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Didn't the SS inductions throttle body have a module on it that increases throttle response. Someone on here has tried one.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
CDAA said:
I have noticed this 'new' feature as well and can say that it is something I do not like about the BA's.
Must admit I agree. I find the responsiveness of the I6 & Boss V8 to be no where near as good as the AUs. Daym progress!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also agree. Only picked up my BA XR8 last Thursday and I have really noticed the difference in the throttle and pick up. After driving the BA all weekend I took my AUII XR8 for a spin yesterday and I just can't get over the difference. It is something that will take some real getting use to.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Had an interesting little conversation with the engineer concerned at the last Winton round during which he dutifully trotted out the Corporate line that they were not aware of any throttle response or driveline protection strategies incorporated into any BA product. Being sort of bright enough to know when I am being lied to, I conducted a little research amongst my contacts and I have summarised the current state of play below.

1. The BA DBW system is not directly responsible for the absence of throttle response or the BOSS equipped vehicle habit of having an apparent flat spot.

2. The engine management system uses an adaptive throttle strategy which is actually the root cause of all the problems we are experiencing. In very simple terms the mapped strategy is designed to give you the amount of throttle it believes you require rather than that which your right foot is actually demanding.

3. There are ECU patches developed to fix this which provide a 1:1 relationship between pedal position and throttle opening but it will be a cold day in hell before they are ever made available to the paying punters.

4. In addition to the adaptive throttle there are also some torque limiting strategies applied to some vehicles with a view to aiding driveline longevity. It's a cheaper fix than providing decent drivetrains.

I expect we will see the GT appear on the track next year with a cabled throttle body as I know this whole issue has caused them a certain amount of grief this year. The rest of us will have to look to the aftermarket for a solution.

Cheers
Russ

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Agree with you there Russ, I couldn't believe (well, actually I could) the dribble that was coming out that guy's mouth.

Item 3 - Doesn't/didn't the racing GT have this fitted? I think they said that made it much better. Would only leave a miniscule amount of processing time as lag in the system. Amazing really it took so long to come up with that, but I suppose FPV (who control what remapping went on) wanted to try other things first.

Also the likely reason Team GT persisted with the DBW so long is they had a throttle cable break on the TE at the 2002 Bathurst 24hr.

Another factor in the adaptive throttle strategy could be emissions, preventing over-fuelling under sudden throttle applications.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
thx Russ for that info once again good stuff, if you hear of a aftermarket solution, i know you let us no asap.....
thx

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
I love my XR8, but yes, the throttle responce could be described as "doey" compared to previous cars. Once flat to the floor it might be fine, but for varying degrees of throttle, it lacks some feel.
Thanks for the info Russ. Leaves us with two courses of actions doesn't it? Lobby some high ups and se if we can get the ECU fix, or wait for someone to crack the ECU in a similar vain to the LS1 edit.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts