Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
I am new to the tickford engine and am after some info for building a 4L Straight 6, Tickford engine.
I'm a mechanic and am building up a engine.
Questions I am asking are:

What engine would be best to run for performanc?

When rebuilding the engine.
Going to repalce rings,bearings,headgasket etc, is there any little tricks/secrets in building one to get a little more performance?

The engine is gonna run standard intake and exhaust manifolds.
Injectors are coming out and a carby going on,Doing this cose its for speedway and can only run carbys under the rules. Also cant run VCT either.
Looking to do a mild clean up of the head ports and manifold.
Run a aftermarket cam. Standard valves,springs etc.
Will run a aftermarket ECU for the ignition side of things

Thanks for your help and any suggestions welcome

·
248 Posts
mild port or clean up will help.why not use a distribitor out of xe carby motor no computor needed it should fit.
Make sure the timing chain is new and valve timing is spot on.

Depending on rules try and raise the compression abit by decking the block and machining the head aswell.

Ian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mild port or clean up will help.why not use a distribitor out of xe carby motor no computor needed it should fit.
Make sure the timing chain is new and valve timing is spot on.

Depending on rules try and raise the compression abit by decking the block and machining the head aswell.

Ian
Thanks for the info.
Yes compression can be raised,rules say compression can be no more than 10.1, The stanadard one of these engine is 9.6 I think? What would be a safe compression ratio on one of these?

Was thinking of putting a distributor out of an xe but would it loose any performance from using ecu setup etc?

·
248 Posts
10 would be fine.as for disyy i would use just mechanical advance on it leave vacum off you should gain power you may did to get the dissy reset that is the spring tension on the advance wieghts but it should be ok as is. i would set it to the normal base timing and than advance base timing slowly makeing sure you dont get any pinging.I know standard these motors will take about an extra 5 to 10 degrees advanceno worries.

Ian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10 would be fine.as for disyy i would use just mechanical advance on it leave vacum off you should gain power you may did to get the dissy reset that is the spring tension on the advance wieghts but it should be ok as is. i would set it to the normal base timing and than advance base timing slowly makeing sure you dont get any pinging.I know standard these motors will take about an extra 5 to 10 degrees advanceno worries.

Ian
Cool, Thanks
Got a few other questions.

Would it be best to run the injected intake manifold(for better flow) and modify it for carb to fit? or run a carby intake manifold?

Also whats the best tickford model engine to start from for performance? ED, EL , AU etc?

oh and as I said befor wont be using the VCT. So doesent need that

And whats a good place to get aftermarket cam from for good price?

As for carby, I'm looking at running a holley,what CFM you recon would be the go with this?

Thanks heaps

·
248 Posts
for a manifold get on of the centre point efi manifolds of an ea falcon than it will only mean getting a base for the carby to sit on.
I would go a el tickford motor as it does not have vct so alot easyier to fit regulations.
Also get a vernier gear for the cam drive to get valve timing right.
As for cams i would talk to crow cams.
Not sure on carbyy but i would think 350 would go close.

Ian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that,you have been very helpfull.

So you think that getting rid of the ecu,coil packs etc and run a mechanical advance distributer from a EX be better?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool,thanks for all your help,I should hopefully be purchasing the engine this week and getting started on it.

Just out of curiosity,whats you reason behind you reconning running a mechanical with a carby is best?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah true true.
I'v been looking around for a EL tickford engine and came across a good deal on a EF tickford engine,he said that the EL and EF tickford engine are exactly the same,is this correct? thanks

·
248 Posts
they are basically the same the last of the el's had different valve springs au style but thats about it.

Another thing if possible try and wieght the pistons and con rods and try and get them about the same wieght this will help the motor rev better and smoother.

hope all this helps.

Ian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info.

Sorry about all the questions,just want ot get familar with these engines.

So whats the difference between the EL and the AU? and why the EL over the AU?

Yea I was thinking of balancing the pistons & rods.
What you think would be the best/easiest way to do this?

I was thinking setting up the pistons and rods with rings and bearings and bolts and weighing each one complete and try get the weight the same,by grinding a little of the con rods cap,(grind the lettering of)

Thanks

·
248 Posts
the au tickford motors had vct so different head and cam.

thats the way i would wieght them see if you can get some electronic scales.

Ian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awsome,thanks heaps for your help.Think I'v got most questions etc all sorted.
You think its worth getting aftermarket bearings or rings? or standard should be fine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you tell me where to get these from?
I have contacted ACL and they say the genuine Ford Tickford engine is a 'special' built outside for Ford Performance Division only
It uses different parts to the normal EL engine and therefore we do not have anything suitable in our Falcon Race Series parts.

Thanks

·
248 Posts
try repco or bursons not sure where you are so dont know who else is around you.

The bearings and rings are the same as standard motors so they should have them.

Ian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool,thanks,have sorted some.

Do you happan to know what weight of of piston,con rod? I'm looking at buying some digital scales and want to know the max weight it needs to handle.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey
Got a question about the xe distriutor,
I'v been pitting for a mate the last 2 nights and have been having problems,whenever he gets a good hit the distributor rotor breaks the rotor plastic locator.

Let me know what you think,
Would a hall effect distributor or another different designed distributor be better and handle the hit etc?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
4 Participants
GT0349
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing