Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read with interest the thread from Aussie Pete on the woes with his car. Let me tell you a story. 14 Months ago I picked up my brand new AU3 TE50. Since then I have had 12 months of sheer and utter grief with the thing. Here's a list of a few of the problems -
1) Gearbox rattle and noise especially at idle in Neutral. Sounds like something is banging inside the bell housing
2) Gearbox crunching when changing gear - It's been rebuilt, new clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearing and it's still a pitiful changer.
3) Moving drivers seat. I was told they all did this untill I complained more and it was replaced.
4) An Engine that ticks like a time bomb. It ticks so loudly on the right bank that it sounds like it's dropped a cam lobe. I've been told mine's a quiet one! God knows what a bad one sounds like.
5) Rear Window not working.
6) Premium Sound System playing up & Replaced.
7) Alarm systems that go off when the mobile rings, won't arm, goes off for no reason. The whole system has been replaced twice
8) Paint peeling off under the guards
9) A wheel buckling for no reason.
10) Clanging Clutch Pedal. This is something you would expect in a Hyundai.
11) Stiff Clutch cable. Didn't like wet whether.
12) A rattling sun roof. Been doing it since day 1, has been back to Prestige twice and still makes the same noises.
13) Dash Rattles behind the glove box
14) B Pillar rattles
15) Clicking brake pedal. How annoying is this?
16) Cruise Control that would not turn off! Lucky I was on a big open road.
17) Both Rear Shocker Mounts colapsed. In being fixed at the moment
18) A shuddering steering rack. In being fixed at the same time as the shocks
19) Windscreen Seal falling out and smashing its way along the roof line. New Windscreen put in.
20) Squealing Brakes since 6000KM. Been seen to every time the car has been back in. They still squeal like a truck stopping. New discs going on the front at present.

These are only some of the problems. I've been on the phone numerous times with FPV and although sympathetic, they keep sending it back to dealers for fixing. I'd hate to think what it's cost them in warranty - And it's still got 2 years left yet!

I'd have to say that it's been the absolute worst car I've ever owned and by far the worst put together car I have seen. So much so that after 14 months of absolute misery with the thing, I've traded it - At a huge loss, for a different car of another brand (Not a Holden).

I downloaded and watched the video of the engine build for these cars and listened to David Flint talking about the cars and the engines. I have to say - Sorry David to dissapoint you, but maybe you should get out and have a look at what your company is putting on the road. "Own the Road" - Should be "Own the Dealership Space" Mine has a permanent parking spot at Etheridge Ford in Vermont. I'm on first name terms with all of the staff and the neighbours really think I drive a Silver Forte - Which by the way is a better car than the thing I own.

I just hope you other owners have had a better run the me out of your cars. I know there are better examples because I test drove a ripper. The thing I own is an embarrasement to Ford and myself. I even got to the stage where I won't take people in it because of it's problems. If Ford Aust. had any level of customer satisfaction they would have replaced it by now. Instead an unhappy owner is a lot poorer and miserable for daring to buy his dream car.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Sorry to hear the tale of woe. Some of these are generic problems that have been experienced by many as per my comments below.

BHTE50 said:
1) Gearbox rattle and noise especially at idle in Neutral. Sounds like something is banging inside the bell housing
2) Gearbox crunching when changing gear - It's been rebuilt, new clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearing and it's still a pitiful changer.
This is a fairly standard complaint. Has been improved somewhat for BA but it still isn't the worlds greatest or quietest box.

3) Moving drivers seat. I was told they all did this untill I complained more and it was replaced.
This is a rare one but the bottom line is that they shouldn't move.

4) An Engine that ticks like a time bomb. It ticks so loudly on the right bank that it sounds like it's dropped a cam lobe. I've been told mine's a quiet one! God knows what a bad one sounds like.
They all do - and mostly loud. I haven't seen a permanent fix as yet.

5) Rear Window not working.
6) Premium Sound System playing up & Replaced.
7) Alarm systems that go off when the mobile rings, won't arm, goes off for no reason. The whole system has been replaced twice
8) Paint peeling off under the guards
9) A wheel buckling for no reason.
These sound more like isolated problems as I've not seen too many instances of them.

10) Clanging Clutch Pedal. This is something you would expect in a Hyundai.
11) Stiff Clutch cable. Didn't like wet whether.
Another pair of standard fitments. No permanent fixes there either.

12) A rattling sun roof. Been doing it since day 1, has been back to Prestige twice and still makes the same noises.
13) Dash Rattles behind the glove box
14) B Pillar rattles
15) Clicking brake pedal. How annoying is this?
The sunroof has been a problem for years - you get a good one or a bad one and that's that. The rattles are standard equipment. The brake pedal click has a fix.

16) Cruise Control that would not turn off! Lucky I was on a big open road.
Another rare one but there have been reported incidents.

17) Both Rear Shocker Mounts colapsed. In being fixed at the moment
18) A shuddering steering rack. In being fixed at the same time as the shocks
Both fairly common issues across AU. Ensure that they rack isn't replaced with a rebuilt unit and also that they countersink the rack mounting bolt holes or it'll happen again.

19) Windscreen Seal falling out and smashing its way along the roof line. New Windscreen put in.
Another one that has happened to a few AU3's.

20) Squealing Brakes since 6000KM. Been seen to every time the car has been back in. They still squeal like a truck stopping. New discs going on the front at present.
Probably won't fix it. Wait till the rears start squealing through the handbrake drums - it's absolutely unfixable.

Good luck with getting it turned into a half way decent car.

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sorry to hear the problems that you had with your T-Series, it certainly sounds like a lemon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Russell
Thanks for the explanations to a few of the problems but it still does not fix the woes with this particular car. If I bought a TV set and it didn't change channels, I'd take it back and ask for another.

As you pointed out, the list of problems, many of them are common to these cars. I have to ask why? It's a series 3 version of the model and most of the stupid bugs should have been ironed out years ago. A lot of the parts from the AU series, are carry overs from previous models. Things like clutch springs clanging, windscreen seals, squealing brakes should have been solved long ago.

Engine ticking and gear boxes rattling are just poor engineering by Tickford. I found it amazing that the test car I drove had none of these faults!

As I wrote in my note, the I've had 14 months of total frustration and I'm not paying to drive places in a loaner Forte! Hence I'll be moving brands after 16 years and 6 good cars prior to this poorly built and engineered excuse for a grand tourer!

·
Previously Black XR
241 Posts
I have an AU1 XR8 and it has suffered from both the ticking engine.....I have had the lifters replaced but to no avail

and as Russ said wait till the rear brakes start squeeking because of the handbrake........thats a shocker.....my new baby should arrive next week....so hopefully no more squeeking

·
708 Posts
Re: Re: Tickford / FPV Quality

Silver GT said:
I have an AU1 XR8 and it has suffered from both the ticking engine.....I have had the lifters replaced but to no avail

and as Russ said wait till the rear brakes start squeeking because of the handbrake........thats a shocker.....my new baby should arrive next week....so hopefully no more squeeking
Regarding the brakes, at what klms travelled does this normally happen??? These probs have got me a little concerned.

·
Previously Black XR
241 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tickford / FPV Quality

Noddy said:
Regarding the brakes, at what klms travelled does this normally happen??? These probs have got me a little concerned.

The ticking was from day one

the hand brake issue started when they put new rear discs and pads on the rear.....I've only done 80 thou in it....but I am hard on brakes

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
It's like all brands - occasionally there is a bad car built. But in the states there are lemon laws to protect people from such pain.

Here we have to put up with endless repairs etc.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts

A real shame BHTE50 that you've had such a disappointing experience.
Aussie Pete said:
Here we have to put up with endless repairs etc.
Terminology a bit incorrect here Pete they're not repairs or they would fix the problems. It's not so bad when an issue comes up & is fixed (provided there are not 25,000 different issues!), but when it is not fixed that's what really upsets & frustrates people.

·
Registered
244 Posts
BHTE50,

I had many problems with my BA XR8 Ute. All seems to be fine now (gasp...) but I totally agree with you on customer service. The Ford CAC and FPV are friggin useless when it comes to customer service.

·
7,777 Posts
Oh, and it's even worse when an organisation promises certain characteristics and exemplary features which turn out to be a load of mouth-excrement.

There are fantastic people working for Ford and FPV so again I'll state that it's almost certainly a case of the odd one getting through.

·
7,777 Posts
Oh, and always factor in the cost of a second car because as I've just found out you don't get a loan car even when you need it. So, factor in two regos, two lots of insurance, and the capital cost of a car (say $5k-$10k above the $65k+ you pay for the FPV). Then the cost of running around in time and running costs so you use one car when you really need two.

AP.
(steaming)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Aussie Pete said:
Oh, and it's even worse when an organisation promises certain characteristics and exemplary features which turn out to be a load of mouth-excrement.

There are fantastic people working for Ford and FPV so again I'll state that it's almost certainly a case of the odd one getting through.
Sorry Pete but your claim of "odd one getting through" is starting to look a little off. These cars are the pinacle of Ford Australia and should be built accordingly. When you pay that much for a car you expect the car to be perfect. Your car has given more grief then it should and cost you money that by rights it shouldn't have, not to mention the wheel issue. Russell's car was built missing STANDARD fitment items from memerory. Then there is the T3 and all it's issues. I admit that I'm no where near able to purchase 1 of these cars, but what ever car I do own I expect it NOT to have stupid problems. It isn't hard for the manufacturer to replace a problem car, I was involved in the buy back of 3 VWs in Canberra early this year due to ongoing problems. Yes it does cost money, but if a small company like VGA can replace 3 cars, approximate total cost of $110,000, through 1 dealer, then surely Ford/FPV could at least pull their fingers out and fix these issues.

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
You got rid of the car so stop bitching about it, you had a bad time with yours and then you ditched its game over. A friend of mine had the some trouble with his 535 bmw and that cost twice as much as a T-SERIES! I got one last june and have a rattle in the box so do 95% of other T owners,and some GT owners you know its like that so if you dont like it dont buy it . I drove a demo and thats the first thing I heard I ask the service guy and he said that they all do it, again if I didnt like it. I didnt have to buy it. So some of the problems you had, we all have, and I dont see them as a problem, but the others are, the biggest problem I think is the dealers. Anyway hope you have a better run with your new car and new dealer.........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To Sbutler
I still have my car while I'm waiting for the new car to be delivered. You
may have noticed that the gearbox rattled when you drove a test car. The one I drove was a superb smooth changing vehicle. It didn't make any ticking noises, rattles and sounded better than the one I have.That's why I bought one.

I picked mine up from the dealers tonight and after having a chat with the staff, it seems I'm not the only one who has some real problems. And not just with the T Series, the GT's are having their fair share of dramas as well.

When you pay top dollar for a motor vehicle, I at least expect that it will be a cut above the norm. The trouble with Ford is, including there field people who came out and drove my car is that they are prepared to accept poor standards as acceptable. The justify this by saying "They're all like that". "They all do that". I got told this with the seat in my car. Until the people at Ford understand that poor is not accceptable, then they will continue to be an also ran player in the car market in Australia. I agree with the comment that there are some extremely talented people at Ford. I'm sure there is. There customer service though is a pretence at looking after the people who spend money on their products. Until they really do provide some "Customer Service", then they may as well not exist.

And contrary to what Sbutler says, I am sad that I have to sell the car. I wish I didn't, but I have lost all faith in the car ever being a reasonable form of transport or that I ever got my money's worth out it.

·
708 Posts
Bhte50, sorry to hear about your problems and dissatisfaction. Once you have sold the car what do you have in mind to replace it??? I am generally interested and i am hoping this doesn't start a flame session towards you.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
Bhte50 sorry to hear of all your probs with your car. Problem is, no matter what car you get its going to have nigglies or issues. Best of luck with your new car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Noddy

I'm swapping the T3 for a Jeep Grande Cheroke Ltd. It's nowhere near as quick but heaps more civilised. I also have a boat and the T3 could'nt be used for towing. I was going to buy a Falcon Wagon as a second car but after all of the problems with the TE, I decided to go for the duel purpose. At least the new cars an eight banger, just not as quick as the TE.

Hope your car's a nice one, it looks good, and you get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
20 Participants
Noboss
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing