Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 99 Explorer EXT. 4.0L engine. After driving it for a while I noticed a ticking noise while I am sitting at a light in gear. I noticed it goes away when the AC compressor engages. It goes away when the vehicle is in park just idling. So it just happens under load and when the AC compressor is not engaged. Any thoughts?
I checked the oil and it is overfilled. Good to know the dealer is competent....

PLEASE HELP!

·
falcon amazing
211 Posts
what kind of oil is in it? what coulor? personally i wouldnt trust the oil that they put in it, it may have needed an oil change when they got it, they could have put anything in it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has 60k miles. I am aware of overfilled oil. I brought it back to the dealer. They scoped it and found it to be carbon buildup. They are soaking the number 3 cylinder and might have to take the head off to remove all of the carbon.

I guess I will wait and see.......any thoughts?

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Sounds like a sticky lifter more than anything, but overfilled oil wouldnt help anything either, see how it sounds when you get it back.

idle will be higher revs and a/c on will increase engine revs so tick goes away, or is too fast to hear.

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts