Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i'm way past due for the cam change. 2031 is looking a good option. i'm thinking that dumping the press metal rockers is the best place to start and 1.72's to match the 2031 seems logical. I will probably do the rocker change myself. What brand (p/n) should i go for $$ if you know. What else will or should i consider to account for (?springs etc?) or are the rockers a only need this item for upgrade. any clearance issues with rocker covers? thanks in advance guys.

I want to look at doing this right away or the furnature buying binge will eat up all the money i've got for this mod (again). Already spent $6000 on beautifying (spelling?) our home last week. Time to spend a dollar on the workhorse!

·
Registered Snooser
579 Posts
Heres some links to earlier discussions...
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=64950
http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=63576

To do your cam/ rocker change you will need new springs,retainers,keepers,(may as well do valve stem seals),timing set,cam change gaskets such as timing cover,intake gaskets,ect...you may even need longer push rods.
And you will need paitience!
Or you could just do the 1.72 rocker change for now with out having to change the springs etc, and it's heaps easier...

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Go for the Yella Terra ST2027 roller rockers. Good quality, price (about $430) and an easy fit. The cam change is a bit of work but it is where the major power increases will be seen.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehehe. Thankyou Chris! but i need the ute. When you coming down next??? I got the exhaust y peice and cats sorted out. it's better now with less droning and a 5-10 kw seat of the pants mid rpm pick up. i figure the rockers will at least level our power output even if not our 1/4 mile time. Work in progress!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is best to buy YT 2027's from?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stop everything! A MESSAGE TO ALL UTE OWNER OUT THERE! SECURE YOUR LOAD AND COVER WITH A TARP OR SOMETHING. Today i was traveling behind a aluminium tray ute 4 cars back and an empty bucket of plaster mix just bounces out of this guys tray and yours truly is the lucky sod to collect it under the front bumper. I try to catch the guy and lose him due to some badly weight challenged womans inability to travel anywhere near the speed limit (80kph). LOST HIM. 8 four letter words later i'm home and inspecting the damage. Bumper all scratched up, trans cable loose, and coolant pissing out of my broken friggen radiator.
Now my beautiful ute sits on the lawn by my study window without a drop of coolant in her and all scratched up to boot.
Thank You inconsiderate driver!

However once i work out the cost it may prove prudent to install cam while radiator is out... trying to see the silver lining here!!!

If anyone see's a ute with loose stuff on the back Don't drive anywhere near it. It all happened 2km from home too!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well here goes! Ute goes in tomorrow. Should be ready friday. 2031 cam, 1:72
yt-st2027's with springs and so on is whats on the menu. Can anyone tell be how this thing will idle/go with out any ecu changes?!?! Either way i'll find out soon enough.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Some find it has a good idle while other can't get it to idle well at all. I think it all depends on the mechanic.

·
Registered Snooser
579 Posts
My 2031 went in recently, and untill I changed the idle to 800-900rpm it was real lopey.
Now it idles alot better and is getting better every day!
AUGhiaV8 is getting his back tomorrow with the same cam set up.
Should be interesting. :wnc:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet news dodgie. Let us know how it progresses. Tell me about the change before and after in the ed and au (when you get it back). it's obviously a get setup if your doing it twice.
I'm quietly confident that all will be well. should find out friday!!!!!

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
Not really a case of doing it twice but more both of us trying the 2031 at about the same time (though I'm 2 weeks behind). Quietly crapping myself as to what will become of my well behaved baby... a couple more hours and I'll know.

Dodgie, your revs seem to be getting higher still on their own - EEC learning (maybe wind back a 1/4 turn)? I'll be over in an hour... confirmed mine should be ready to roll (and shake her arse) after lunch.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update anyone? it's after lunch!

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
Well... her arse is shakin' alright. Shakin' so much she was flat out keeping an idle. However, like Dodgie I have upped the idle (mine to between 700 and 800) and she seems to be coming to terms with her new equipment. Flogged the poo out of her all evening and I think I've broken her wild side a little but only time will tell.

Not forgetting that I've also changed the standard pressed rockers to rollers so the improvement in performance is noticable. Definately goes harder but I have to say I was expecting more.

Doesn't have near the torque that Dodgie's ED Ghia has (a credit to him) - according to my seatofthepantsometer. Power is a little harder to recognise. There just seems to be something missing somewhere... just can't seem to put my finger on it (let's call it the G-spot).

I'll give her a couple of months to see how things settle and if she's still a cranky little girl I may well chip her (hoping to avoid this though). If I did it wouldn't really be for added performance but more to sort out some of the roughness.

Something to note - I ended up having to fit longer push rods (6.3) as the stockies (6.25?) weren't a good match for the Crane 2031 and 1.7RR apparently.

Another little suprise... didn't expect such an increase in engine noise. Don't get me wrong though, it isn't loud, just a little louder (if that makes sense).

Anyone know where we can pick up a couple of GT40P heads and a couple of Unichips (ED with dizzy and AU with coil pack)?

·
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL
538 Posts
AU2XLSV8 - who in Brissy is doing your engine work for you and how much did they quote you (and for what specifically)?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Place called Widow maker is doing the work in coloundra (sunshine coast). $920 to pull the engine and put the stick, r/rockers and so on in. I they felt strongly about the pull the engine thing and i had an engine mount issue, damaged firwall cover issue and the broken radiator (read bucket incident) to deal with so i was happy to pull the engine. Oil, filter, gakets are additional. The job includes springs, retainers, cam, 1.7 r/rockers, radiator and a few extra bits and i expect $2500 ish to be the total. I gave them my digital camera and asked for a few happy shot to be taken. Hopefully have some pics to post when i pic her up.
I was really impressed today. i dropped the car off at 12:30pm and went back at 5:00pm and they already had the engine out and were really getting into it. I've never put the thing into a mechanics for any major change and have the thing move from where i parked it for at least a day.
I'm not expecting any rush like the s/c had but i'm hoping the headwork and loose stall bring the whole job together well for a good boost in hp. Chip is next on the ajenda.
Thanks for the tip on the push rods i'll expect it on the bill now at least (less surprises).
Can't wait.
Planning on porting those gt40 heads??? Where did you get your work done? What else have you guys done?

·
Registered Snooser
579 Posts
I am now looking for longer pushrods even though It is going ok, I think the valve trane could be quieter. I did get a bit of pree load but I dont think it was enough.
Now looking for 6.300 to 6.350" push rods ASAP.

Some info off coral.net
"You need pushrods that are approximately 6.310" long, due to the smaller lobe circle of the Crane 2031 cam. (stock pushrod length is 6.272").
I bought Manley 6.350" long pushrods from a local speed shop, and then shimmed the rockers .040" to compensate. they are a necessity with Cobra style 1.7 roller rockers, because Crane confirmed that the cam has a smaller than stock lobe circle.The 2031 has a base circle .122" smaller than the stock cam. That means, *all things being equal* you need a .061" longer pushrod. Best I could measure, the stock pushrods were 6.25", not 6.27. People may be using the stock pushrods. But if the base circle is smaller, then the hydraulic lifters must be taking up the slack.
It is also possible that they are not getting maximum lift, and that the valves may be slamming down harder on the seats than they would if they had slightly longer pushrods."

I have surface ground the heads when I did a home port on them, but it doesn't make up for the smaller cam base circle.
I have also fitted an explorer intake/TB, MAF/#24inj & AFPR, and paceys into a single system.
Looking for GTp's to port now, and a chip if one comes along.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info dodgie. My heads have been shaved a bit so we're unsure of weather it needs it or not. Paul and the guys at Widowmaker sure know their stuff. Awesome machine shop and dyno. i wish i knew about them earlier. I got some pics of my new bits and the engine out etc. I've left the camera with em so they can take some happy shots if they remember to. The whole job is very first rate so far and i'm expecting the thing to rev much better than before. My valve spring tention anongst other things was bad and i was missing an engine mount bolt!!!! Can't expect too much from an engine fitted by a ford dealership i suppose. 'Things that make you go hmmm?'
I would seriously look at after market heads from what i've seen today. My heads have some port work but compared to what the after market stuff looks like, flows and weighs i'm contemplating than change before too long also. Ecu upgrade to control looks to be next though. Then we'll look at heads and stroker but for now i'm going to settle and enjoy my ride.

What other mods does AUghiaV8 have? He'd have a pretty tight stall converter in a fairmont! maybe it's worth looking at for change, it should get some more down low torque into it.

·
Registered Snooser
579 Posts
AUghiaV8 had a stock engine with a new exhaust system (real sweet twin setup!).
Now a cam/rocker change....and a grumpier car :evil2:
He might get the engine sorted out first before the transmission.

What heads did you port? were they the GT40p's?
I am after some GT40p's...
Did you port them yourself?
I did my E7's and it didnt give great gains, but the experience was fun. I will get someone else to do my next ones as I can't flow them (nor be bothered).
Have you done any chipping/EEC mods?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts