Ford Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys. I've been reading this thread for a while(had probs with login), by the way, AU2XLSV8, unlucky with the bucket man... true story. I had a EBII Fairmont a couple of years ago, that was hit by a truck running a red light doing faster than 90kph side on. It ripped the car apart leaving me bleeding to death. But I am better, and ready to rip again. I just bought a moonsoon blue AUII Fairmont Ghia V8 from Cairns. Good price too, $22,000 48k on clock 2001 model. The thing I am thinking about is the de-tuning of the Ghia V8 to 175kw. Now, being very new to owning a Winsdor, am I going to be able to 220kw or so without major mods like pulling the enigine apart and so forth.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Easiest way to get the 175kw engine above 220kw is to change the cam and throw on a decent exhaust. BTW lovely car you got there, AU Fairmont Ghia and a V8 as well.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
YAY i got her back!!!

Thanks for the words of support trema_inc... hope there was a big payout after your accident.

Well i have a very grumpy ute now. Stalls a lil at first but has done some good learning today already. Feels much stronger up top and in general is meatier more responsive. I'm understanding the lack of crispness though, esp at first. she felt really doughy when i first drope her away. Likes the sideways action in the wet more now. Really looking forward to the ecu tuning. I've found myself scratching my head as to chip or piggy back again.
I'm very impressed with slippers progress with a unichip and would like to check out a couple more options before taking the plunge.
Any new info or revelations out there?

Oh and a good set of heads with your cam and maybe a manifold upgrade is a sure way to the gen 3 hunting arena. First is that restrictive exhaust and extractors. Don't skimp and get them both upgraded for a good gain.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Now, being very new to owning a Winsdor, am I going to be able to 220kw or so without major mods like pulling the enigine apart and so forth.
a good exhaust is a must
a set of 1.7 roller rockers
au2 airflow meter
65mm t\b

comes close to that target with aprox 218hp at the treads

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
AU2XLSV8, how much did you lose down low as a result fo the cam? I like the torque the little windsor has down low, and although I know up top the cam is gonna make the car scream, losing the torque down low isnt the most desirable thing on the street.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
The 2031 will give better low down torque than the stock cam, plus lots more mid range and top end power.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yup more everywhere!!! I have Torque converter issues at the moment (getting fixed as i write this). But even with the low-mid hasles she's much better everywhere. She's building power to 5600rpm and i rev her to 6000-6200 before pulling the next gear and its great. Heads and manifold would be great next mod! 260rwhp easy would be right!

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
That's great mate. I have adaptive shift so using the manual shift in the auto is pretty useless. I'm hoping with the cam I'll be able to get power past redline and hold the gears till about 6 grand or so. As I'll be holding gears longer and still make power, a set of 3.9's in the bum would make a huge difference for down low, but I can still hold the revs and not have to change into 4th before I corss the 1/4 mile line as I'll still be making peak power higher up. Ohh I can't wait to get a cam fitted now!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Join the 2031w1.72's club it's great!
You may need 4th if you going quick enough. esp with 3.9's you'll prolly cross the line in the red in 3rd gear with your 3.45's.

Hey if we all get the heads and manifold upped maybe we will all cross the magic 271rwhp number. Whats special about that number??? times it by 0.74 to find out!

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
I'll see how I go man. First mod as I said in my cam thread will be exhaust. I'm hoping mid 14's with that. You obviously know my best time, and I worked it out that with the 3.45's doing 93mph, it's aproximately 4300rpm when I cross the line. That leaves just under 2000rpm with the cam. I'm hoping what speed the cam will gain, will also be able to rev for the same time in the same gear as before, just at a hgher RPM, if that makes sense to you. Probably not though, either way it's a good problem to have. After Cam I'll go a chip (not sure which one but probably unichip), and see where I'm at. If with a cam and chip I'm in the red in 3rd as I cross the line, then I wouldn't go diff, as having to cross the line in 4th I'd be out of my peak power. We'll see what happens, I can't wait! Damn whens that group certificate going to come, I need my tax back! Hehe.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Same here!!!!! If you rev to 6000rpm plus i'd go unichip. i went chiptorque because they can up the rev limiter.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts