Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my ute is starting to have some problems starting. When I turn the key the starter usually engages (sometimes it doesn't) then turns over for about 1-2 sec and disengages but keeps spinning. I take it this means the solenoid that engages the starter gear onto the flywheel is buggered.

Now the real question - does this mean the whole starter have to be replaces or can I somehow manage to change the solenoid? Or is it just better to change the whole thing anyway?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
What ute is it? Chances are you can pick up a good s/h one from a wrecker for about $50-$100 if it's a falcon - EA through AU starters all interchange....

·
Team Betta Racing
123 Posts
Before you go chasing prices on new/secondhand starters, do yourself a favour and pull it of, and give it a little inspection (disconnect earth lead off battery first!!!!).

You might find that the drive is fingered, or worse, the ring-gear on the flywheel is shagged, or it may just be the solenoid.

If you're handy with cars etc., you could fit a solenoid rebuild kit through it, or you could take it to a good auto elec and ask them to fit one for you.

The other thing you might consider (which is simple, cheap, and affective) is to put a relay on the starter circuit. This will give the solenoid a stronger, sharper throw.

Good luck - Coxy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts