Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm settling down now, I'm starting to wake up and realise that in the end the mad power rush really isnt what I want or need to do.
I think I'll spend my money on other things now. I'll get the dyno done to make sure its a crap fuel issue and, if it is, I think I'll stop there. Fair enough I get beaten by most of you at the track but, in the end, most cars on the road cant pull a 16s pass no matter what. My car may not be the fastest, but it certainly is quick enough. I went there to have fun and I had a ball, mission accomplished!
I love driving my car, I'll now treat it better fuel wise and in the end, I'll have a lot of fun in it. So now that it's all over (Heathcote) I'm not too worried about my times.
I'll do it all again for the fun but geez, stressing over 1 second was driving me mad till it was pointed out that it really doesnt matter.

So I think my mods will be suspension and new rims. After that, I'll just enjoy my car as is and smile whenever I drive it, just like I do now.

Ahhh, glad thats off my chest now!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
good to know mate :)
got any idea what rims? :p its a hard choice!

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
Ahh - seems the smell of oil and fuel must have clouded your brain...........but now back to reality.

in the overall scheme of things whats a second or two?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
dont be too discouraged by others!!!!! it was a damn hot day at heathcote, and many cars suffered there.....
an exhaust is a good mod for a car, it might not give you 1 sec on the 1/4, but it give you a bit more power,torque and economy, just when you do it, do the whole thing at once, no point putting just extractors onto a wheezing standard zorst.....
there are plenty of things you can do to a 6cyl, look at some of the times they pulled at heathcote, most wouldnt have spent heaps..... so be patient, have a good read of the forums, and you will find what works best..

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is Phil, I'm just not worried about it any more. Turns out that VCT engines have a very good stock exhaust so $1000 for more noise is really not for me. I like the sound I have now. Cams, chips, intakes, etc etc. They all add power but for what? They cost a packet and really dont allow me to use it in Revenue City! I got clouded (as Philbie said) by the times at heathcote that others were running. I think it's great that they got those times, there cars looks, sound and run great. But in the end, on a cold, wet and miserable day in Melb, my car has more than enough power, grip and agility to hold its own. Fact is that in the wet, power is useless without grip. And on the long drives I do for fun and work, a quiet auto and a comfy ride will do me just fine. Cant use any more power, cant stand load exhausts for 4 hours either.

I'm NOT saying that what others are doing is wrong, I too love the thrill of a good mod, but for me, in my position and with my other committments, I have to think about being practical.

Oh, and EFFalcon, I have NFI about what rims I will get yet. Thats a whole other story :fraz:

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Im starting to think like you too Casper. Im getting tired of the continual ratrace for more hp. Especially on an older car like mine. Its beyond me now, I cant afford to flog off x ammount $$$ to compete with joe bloggs down the road. It will be a neverending rat race with this car especially. I havent taken it for a thrash down AIR yet, but I reckon I'll see a 15.5 at best.
In future Im gonna look for a AU2 fairmont with low k's, lower it, get some 17-18's, tint and chuck a dev3hl pack at it and leave it. Then I know it will have the looks as well as the go hard parts for the street. That way it will still look factory, have no insurance complaints, and no hassles on road.

I guess Im startin to grow up too. As I plan to buy a house sometime next year.

All this being said, your not alone in the final stages of car mods.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Casper,

As we were talking on fordforums chat, i reckon it'd still be a good idea to do a dyno run and once you have a good batch of fuel i would go to the drags again and see how the XR goes. I can bet that you'll see very early 16's with no mods.

Oh another tip, if it was a bad batch of fuel, i would throw in a bottle of Nulon Octane booster and a full tank of BP Ultimate, that should help compensate for the bad fuel or whats remained of it in the tank.

Cheers,
Gary.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strider, you read my mind. I will get the Dyno done, I'm going to throw in some octane booster as well, but on the first tank I will use an injector cleaner. That way I know the fuel system will be cleaned out properly.

Then, next time theres a meet, I'll be off to the drags again to get a decent time.
I am now reasonably expecting a 16.2s pass. I think that would be more that suitable for an unmodified, auto XR6 VCT.

I do have to say, regardless of the time, it is certainly nice just criusing there and back in a comfy, quiet car though!

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
Dont you just hate these sort of predicaments Casper?

Reading these very forums and participating in drive days, drags etc is a helluva way to get hooked into getting mods done to the car. But trying to save for a house is hard when all you want to do is get more power for the ute by doing another mod...it's a bit like going out with some supermodel and she says she wants to be a virgin till you get hitched..... cruel!

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
lol @ Rodderz.......:HAHA:

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
Shane, I know this is not very convincing, esp. coming from a person who has done a fair bit to his beast...but you're right! Mods? Do it for your own enjoyment. Afterall, thats the only reason why I went that far with my XR6...not to be the quickest...or the sikkest XR6 in town...but purely for my own enjoyment.

I enjoy driving it around (getting the wows and stares from bystanders) and giving it a squirt occassionally (when its safe to do so). 1/4 times don't bother me, not even RWKWs...having a 10/12/13/14/15/16sec pass means shite when I spend 90% of my driving time in the city.

Afterall, it'd feel really shitty to know only after spending thousands that you've spent it just becoz of what happened on Saturday. So goodonya for clearing up the head, which means more money gets spent on the family = happy wife and kids = smiles on everybody's face = makes life worth living.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cruel, but in the end its an easy decision.
It's stupid for me to stress about not having a faster car when the fact is its probably faster than 80% of whats on the road. It would be like taking an 11 second drag car...which is fast lets face it... and running it against 7 second cars. Is it slow, well yes in comparison, but is it a slow car...NO.
I could easily go and tell my wife and kids sorry, I'm spending the next $20K on my car, get it to sub 13's and then stand back and sell it for $10K. It is just an AU XR6, regardless of what I do to it.
So I'll take that $20K, buy another house, buy the wife a nicer car and take a holiday I think!
Doesnt mean I dont want to do the mods, just means I've come to my senses and realised there are higher priorities in my life.

Hell, give me my 16 second AU XR6 over a 13 second EA anyday. Nothing wrong with EA's, but I'll take the comfort, reliability and resale on mine thanks.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
more money gets spent on the family = happy wife and kids = smiles on everybody's face = makes life worth living
BINGO!!! that's it exactly Mal.

I would still love a car like yours.... but I dont need it. So I'll spend money on things I need.

But I'm still going to go dragging...and so are you :s6:
Would be nice to see what it can really do.....stock!

·
Australian EL Wagon Member
677 Posts
As much as we have all thought (or maybe not ?) about how much we put into our cars, this is the first thread I've seen in a while about drawing a line somewhere on pouring more $$$ into our past times / hobbies / daily drivers / speed demons - my hat is off to you Casper - indeed everyone has priorities - finally someone to make a mark on the forums hehe.

My EL ran a 16.42 on Saturday...weighed down by Ghia luxuruies no doubt (lol)...as well as bodykit, rear wing, heavy duty tow kit, 17" rims - heck EF/EL XR's start off
something like 100kgs lighter (manuals lighter again...without kit and all that bizzo!).

She's no drag car...but she's a comfy cruiser =)...and for my Melb CBD venturing to and from work EVERYDAY *ugh*...1/4 mile times / capabilities are the last thing on my mind too.

Cheers,
Steve

PS, Don't get me wrong - I'm not all 'sour grapes' at 16 seconds...I had NFI what I was going to run - it was an awesome day...and I would easily do it again with little hesitation =D

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no dc, it's not sour grapes I agree. It's simply a matter of how much is enough and what are we all willing to pay for it. In my case, I'm just now willing to spend thousands on a few extra tenths on a drag strip I might see once or twice a year.

·
Tickford and FPV Bloke
953 Posts
Yep i agree with this thread, any 4.0L Ford gets along just fine when compared with most of the other cars out there today. Your VCT 172 if its anything like my old one would absolutely go hard off the lights, it may not be a V8 beater, but it sure comes close (Y)!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i ran a 17.2 for my first ever time,in my ea wagon and with axle tramp and i thought that was good cinsidering the age of the car and only havin 2half inch cat back zorst the rest is stock,so yeah MODS help but like you said really whats a second or two really *winks*

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
I hear you Casper, I hit that wall about 6 months ago with Rollins diff. It was the last performance mod I made and I had had enough at that point. The car goes quick enough, it has a great stero which unlike the performance mods comes out leaving no trace it was there.

I can't wait to get rid of my Ford, its a great car but my income has outgrown the need for such an old cheap car, can't wait to get into new Liberty this year if I can, good by to clunky suspension, noisey motors and constant maintenence, hello sound engineering! And High outlay :(

Oh I bought the ED for $8500 2 years ago, spent around $3500 on maintenence and mods and I'd be lucky if I can sell it for $6000. What a waste!

·
a vile merchant
714 Posts
At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. Whatever you're doing or planning to do to your cars it should be because that's what YOU want for your own personal enjoyment, not to keep up with anyone else or to try and impress people on internet forums :p

Casper, instead of the mods you should definently look into getting it running right to start with. With 172kW and the 3.45 diff i would expect a VCT to do a high 15 no worries. It was a hot day tho so pretty everyone was a few tenths slower than normal

1 - 20 of 51 Posts