Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
"oh, you were racing?"
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got my car back from the shop. I got a new Timing belt, and tensioner and a water pump on it. As it turns out, my timing belt has jumped a tooth on the belt, ripping a tooth off of it. So how much would timing being off this much hinder the prformance of the car?

·
Cobra Member *hissssss*
36 Posts
My advice to you....

1) Replace it

2) Replace it SOON

·
"oh, you were racing?"
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reread the thread, it all has been replced, that's how I found out about the broekn tooth and the timing being off.

·
Cobra Member *hissssss*
36 Posts
good.... did they reset it back to the normal position?

·
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member
276 Posts
dont drive the car around like that. get it fixed as soon as you can. you could jump another tooth or have some serious engine issues as a result.

·
"oh, you were racing?"
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milw96Cobra said:
good.... did they reset it back to the normal position?
Yeah, it's all back to normal. In fact, the car sounds different now. The exhaust I mean. It sound slike a different car.

And Caliguy143, read the post, it was replaced. Damn :angry:

So back to my original question. How much power was I losing?

·
"oh, you were racing?"
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But how much. A lot doesn't tell me anything. I'm lookin for a ball park figure here, just roughly how much horsepower. How much does one tooth off effect the performance? Dyno numbers were 155whp, 148wtq, without the test pipe, and with the timing off. About what can I expect now?

G

·
One tooth on the cam sprockets is nearly 10 degrees, since it "sliped" the timing is now retarded by nearly 10 degrees. .

This is probably going to reduce torque and power by as much as 15%

The fact that you have a slipping timing belt is a BOMB waiting to go off. . . You do NOT want to play that game. . . I would highly recommend you get it fixed ASAP

·
"oh, you were racing?"
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BryanPendleton said:

The fact that you have a slipping timing belt is a BOMB waiting to go off. . . You do NOT want to play that game. . . I would highly recommend you get it fixed ASAP
I swear nobody reads the post fully before replying. thanks for the reply bryan, now I know what I've gained in having it changed. Yes, read the post, it's already been fixed. I'm just trying to figure out what I lost before this when the timing was off. I dynoed 154whp 148wtq this summer with the mods I have except for the test pipe. I was looking for a good idea of what the car has now. :s6:

·
Probe GT Member
6 Posts
thecause17 said:
Ok, so I just got my car back from the shop. I got a new Timing belt, and tensioner and a water pump on it. As it turns out, my timing belt >>has<< jumped a tooth on the belt, ripping a tooth off of it. So how much would timing being off this much hinder the prformance of the car?
I think everybody thinks that your timing belt "has" slipped again since you got it fixed. If it turned out that your belt "had" slipped a tooth and then you got it fixed we would not be so worried, because it would be fixed.

·
"oh, you were racing?"
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Timing: How much was it hurting me?

curly2play said:

I think everybody thinks that your timing belt "has" slipped again since you got it fixed. If it turned out that your belt "had" slipped a tooth and then you got it fixed we would not be so worried, because it would be fixed.
But the fact that I made it clear more than once that I found this problem when the belt was replaced would make it known that it was like this before the replacement. If you read the entire thread, I've said this 3 times, yet people still post that I should fix it. The fact that I used has instead of had, is irrelevant since I have stated that it's fixed several times.

·
Probe GT Member
6 Posts
Isn't the KLO3 a non-interference engine?...just curious, I thought I've read that a few times.

G

·
I dont know what excactly you want to hear.
There is no way to measure how much HP you gained/lost by bringing back to normal. Usually, the ECU will compensate for it but not for a skipped Tooth. Just do aanother dyno to find out. I doubt you gained much power though. And if you did that Is one strong motor you got there..it would be klze territory.

·
DESIGN is my LIFE
104 Posts
FRCFD6 said:
yup the kl-03 is a non interference engine.....
What does this mean?

·
Mazda MX6 Member
14 Posts
IT means that the valves at no time cross into the path of the piston. So when the belt breaks the valves and pistons do not colide causing sever engine damage.

·
DESIGN is my LIFE
104 Posts
Ahhh. Thanks.

G

·
Re: Re: Timing: How much was it hurting me?

curly2play said:

I agree.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts