Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
94/04 Taurus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my fuel filter on my 94 Taurus GL 3.0 V6. In the chilton manual that I have it says to relieve the pressure in the fuel line at the pressure relief valve with a certain pressure gauge tool. I always thought it was only nessisary to open the gas cap and you were good to go. I called around to my local auto parts stores and some local mechanics and they have either never heard of the pressure gauge tool or said that opening the gas cap should be enough. They said about a cup of fuel is all that should come out. I was just wondering what your guy's oppinion is. Also, any other suggestions/tips for changing the fuel filter would be greatly appreciated since I have never done it before. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can trip the rollover switch in the trunk, driver side and run the engine until it stops, this will relieve the pressure. To trip it all you need to do is hit it just hard enough with a wrench to pop up the red button.

·
Hi-Tech *******
1,486 Posts
They recommend you do that so fuel does not spray you in the face when changing. I never worry about it. I remove the clip, grab the line, turn my head, and pull it off avoiding spray.

·
94/04 Taurus
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bertha66 said:
You can trip the rollover switch in the trunk, driver side and run the engine until it stops, this will relieve the pressure. To trip it all you need to do is hit it just hard enough with a wrench to pop up the red button.
Thanks a ton bertha66. The rollover switch woked great. There was hardly any fule left in the line after I did what you suggested. The fuel filter definately needed replacing too:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Glad it worked for ya, it's the safest way I fond after I justed pulled the line when it had pressure in it and I got gas in my ear, that was the most painful thing I have ever had happened.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts