Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i am in the process of getting some serious power up for my au2 xr6 ute. after a lot of looking around at superchargers and turbos etc, i have decided i will most likely go with a powerdyne sc kit from capa (www.capa.com.au).

before i make the dive into my wallet i would like to ask if any one has had any experience with these kits, good or bad. i think my mind is pretty much made up, but any feed back would be appreciated.

G

·
I would go for the Vortec blower as u can upgrade the trim wheel if u want more power in the future. I've got a powerdyne on my ED XR6 & it is ok but I can't run any more boost than 9psi. My power is 162rwkw @ 7.5psi. If u go with the powerdyne get the workshop to use stronger & longer bolts that go through the crank pulley & into the crank as mine broke & went through the radiator. If u can afford it I'd recommend fitting a Unichip also. This will give u another 10-15kw @ rear wheels. The other down fall with the powerdyne is u can't fit a intercooler.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice blown_xr6,

just a couple of questions. the kit i am looking at has a chip included, is this what you meen by a unichip?

also, why can't you fit an intercooler, is it just a problem of space?

and to exodius, the terra charger is a cool looking unit but is 3 grand by itself. check out what you get for the money at capa. the kit includes a whole new fuel system (pump, hoses, injectors, regulator etc) as well as all the brackets, bolts and belts that are associated with fitting an sc.

G

·
Just double check with capa that u actually get a chip. I thought the same, but they don't use one in my model Falcon as they have a self learning computer. I think it's the same with all Falcons. The Unichip is a piggyback computer that controls your fuel & ignition. My car was pinning above 3500rpm before the Unichip.
As for the intercooler it is probably different on the AU but where my blower is mounted the outlet is about 1 inch away from the throttle body, so the only way I can fit one is make a custom plenum & change the angle of the throttle body.
I can send you some pics of my engine bay if you want to have a look. Just leave your email or email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blown_xr6,

there is definitely a chip with the au vct kit, but i don't think it is the same as yours. it plugs into the diagnostic port on the computer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi I gotta ute

I have fitted a powerdyne kit to an EF from capa and found the kit easy to fit it comes with everthing needed including a plugin chip. However found that detonation was a problem. Got Dave at Silverwater Automotive to reprogram the computer. He also altered the fuel system, took out second fuel regulator and installed larger injectors. Talk to him before you buy the kit.

I agree with Blown_XR6 the powerdyne is limited to 9 psi and the vortex is a better buy for more boost later. Powerdyne is making a new blower the XB checkout www.powerdyne.com

With regards to fitting an intercooler the problem is running the plumming through in front of the radiator ( was a problem with my EF anyway ). Fitted an air/water cooler next to the extractors not the best place but better than nothing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi I gotta ute

I have fitted a powerdyne kit to an EF from capa and found the kit easy to fit it comes with everthing needed including a plugin chip. However found that detonation was a problem. Got Dave at Silverwater Automotive to reprogram the computer. He also altered the fuel system, took out second fuel regulator and installed larger injectors. Talk to him before you buy the kit.

I agree with Blown_XR6 the powerdyne is limited to 9 psi and the vortex is a better buy for more boost later. Powerdyne is making a new blower the XB checkout www.powerdyne.com

With regards to fitting an intercooler the problem is running the plumming through in front of the radiator ( was a problem with my EF anyway ). Fitted an air/water cooler next to the extractors not the best place but better than nothing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi I gotta ute

I have fitted a powerdyne kit to an EF from capa and found the kit easy to fit it comes with everthing needed including a plugin chip. However found that detonation was a problem. Got Dave at Silverwater Automotive to reprogram the computer. He also altered the fuel system, took out second fuel regulator and installed larger injectors and the plugs were to cold. Talk to him before you buy the kit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi I gotta ute

I have fitted a powerdyne kit to an EF from capa and found the kit easy to fit it comes with everthing needed including a plugin chip. However found that detonation was a problem. Got Dave at Silverwater Automotive to reprogram the computer. He also altered the fuel system, took out second fuel regulator and installed larger injectors and the plugs were to cold. Talk to him before you buy the kit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi I gotta ute

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi I gotta ute

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi I gotta ute

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for that blown ef 6,

regarding the injectors, the kit i looked at comes with 24lb injectors. did you fit larger ones than that?

i think i will stick with the powerdyne as the vortec is quite a bit harder to fit as it has engine oil lubricated bearings like a turbo. i am not looking to build a drag car, just some reliable grunt, so the boost limit is not a problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The kit I got came with blue injectors these were swapped for a red/brown injector. I am assuming without checking numbers that these red/brown injectors are 30lb.

I thought the 9 psi kit would be enough but since then I have been looking for more. Fitted a smaller pulley and air/water intercooler. Next plan is a small shot of NOS or the powerdyne XB blower if it will fit in the existing brackets. Aiming for a 12.9 sec pass at Eastern Creek.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The kit I got came with blue injectors these were swapped for a red/brown injector. I am assuming without checking numbers that these red/brown injectors are 30lb.

I thought the 9 psi kit would be enough but since then I have been looking for more. Fitted a smaller pulley and air/water intercooler. Next plan is a small shot of NOS or the powerdyne XB blower if it will fit in the existing brackets. Aiming for a 12.9 sec pass at Eastern Creek.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The smaller pulley was designed to increase the boost pressure in theory but it doesn't seem to maybe the bov wasting off at the set 9 psi. However the power does start lower in the rev range.

G

·
12.* pass on the quarter mile should be easy for your setup NOW.. unless your cars a slug, I have a mate in the US who runs 12s with his 'stock' 5.0 '83 mustang.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts