Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Falcon EL which I have done a far amount of work on, without doing anything to the engine. I was thinking about putting a chip in.....not too sure if it's worth it. I have heard mixed things about chipping.

Is it a good idea?
If it is do you have any recommendations on brand of chip?
Is there anything I should be aware of (I don't know much about chips)? eg. will I have to take it back to the place of installation when I have the car tuned in the future?

I have put on Pacemakers extractors, 2.5" exhaust, K&N air filter, gold tipped spark plugs, Koni shocks, King coil lowered springs, camber kit (on the front), Pirelli P6000 tyres.

Thanks

·
gone
10,402 Posts
What are we talking about here. Powerchip or Unichip?

Might be of some help if you do a search on both keywords and review the topics

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Laminge,

Just had a quick read about both Unichips and Powerchips. Would I be right in saying that the Unichip is programmed specifically for my car, where as a powerchip is pre-programmed and you just plug it in?

If this is right I guess a Unichip would be the way to go??? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Do you know what the price difference might be?

Thanks

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
check with ur insurance first... they dnt like chips much! :noNO: :nonono:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supa R00, I don't doubt that my insurance company won't like it very much.

Apart from modifying the engine (which i'm not going to do), a chip and getting a tint job, is all thats left to do.

·
Stupid lamas!!!
29 Posts
i dont really think insurnace will know about a chip

·
Registered
695 Posts
i dont think it would be too hard for the investigator to realise that the chip has been modified (unless you are modding the original which is not the case)

I believe when time comes to pay, they will think of as many reasons as they can why they shouldn't cover your accident. A chip, i would think, would be a standard check.

guess you could always keep the original in your glove box :eek:P

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I can see, these chips don't replace the current factory one, they attach to it. In case of an accident, I could just remove it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
hey i read on the chiptorque site that they give a 7 day satisfaction gurantee...
gurantees never hurt.

Check their fine prints though...if its all above board then its a safe way to go abouts getting a chip. To date I have yet to hear from one person that has had a chip installed (any chip) and has not been happy with the result.

·
XR82GO
1,539 Posts
I have delt with chiptorque before and am going to again in a couple of weeks for my XR8 ute.

Seriously I can't recommend them enough to anyone. Lachlan and Stefan have both been extremely helpful to me in the past.

As far as their chip's go. You can get the custom chip which is dyno tuned to your car. The car actually was better on fuel, ran heaps smoother, more power. I was really happy with it. Thus I am going back.
THIS IS THE ONLY SORT OF CHIP YOU WANT
Dont buy a chip that is just a plug in. Every engine is different.

Hope that was of some help to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts