Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
European Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are peoples thoughts on Unichips. Do they really make a difference on an XR? What about other companies ie Powerchip, Chiptorque etc. Comments would be appreciated.

E

·
0 Posts
Hi,
I wasted $500 on a Chiptorque Chip!
Big mistake, it actually made the car
0.2 secs slower over the 1/4 mile.
2 get a big power gain, your best bet is
a new computer.
But your looking at $3500 4 a motec system.
Save your pennys 4 the real thing!!!!!!!!!

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Unichip.

With any mod I make/change, the unichip has been reprogrammed to suit with zero problems. If your going for big mods I guess Motec is the answer, but I'd rather spend the $2400 bucks I'd save buying a Unichip on more mods for my beasty. =)

Below are before and after the installation of my Unichip a while ago.

www.gromarket.com.au/pics/au2xr81.jpg
www.gromarket.com.au/pics/au2xr82.jpg

As you can see, with the Unichip in, there was a gain of about 10hp (8kw) at the wheels (15kw at the fly approx.).

Hope this helps.

T

·
0 Posts
ok, i'm gonna be ignorant now, and ask what do these chip thing-a-me-jigs actually do?

i'm pretty old school when it comes to engines. lots of cubes, as little technology as possible. if something breaks, you just hammer it back in its place!

·
HORSE POWER FACTORY
257 Posts
sjwau2xr6 Mate dont even bother with a Powerchip they're S***. Either go for Motec
as l am very happy with that. OR if you haven't got the $4000 that that go for a Unichip at $1200 and you won't be sorry, TRUST ME!!

M

·
0 Posts
the_mighty_ford_person - check out this page, I think it explains it pretty well! :)

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/unichip/unichip.htm

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
riiight...

interesting!

so with a unichip, i could gain almost 10 hp at the wheels. of course, i'd have to get the exhaust done first, but looks like a worthwhile investment.

thanks!

·
Bradley :)
24 Posts
I dont want to take business from anyone , but your all mad .. ford have the best computers in the world ... All Aui & Auii computers are reprogramable to a large extent .. and best of all they are 'learning' computers.. they will (over time, imediately if you disconnect the battery) learn new advance curves and fuel curves etc with any engine mods performed. the power gains from chips such as uni and the rest are so minimal that you gain the same increase from simply wiping your std computers memory. c'mon guys , do some research with eeciv and eecv and you will save yourselves big dollars and headaches with after market rubbish.. ford computers are good for easy 350hp at the rear wheels..

P

·
0 Posts
Yes you are right tell me the place to get it tuned please here dowm under?? In nsw..eec4 or 5..Haltech $2500 fitted the lot.And I can save heaps on a maf!

M

·
0 Posts
Paul - I'm in the market for intake bits at the moment, after something like the 70mm MAF + injector kit that SVO offers... if you want to mail me the details rather than broadcasting, send to [email protected]

Cheers mate! :)
Mike

·
24 Posts
eeciv & eecv dont need to be 'tuned' they are 'learning' computers .. after being reset they will automatically adjust to the mods that have been performed ..

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
I have a Unichip in my ED XR8. It makes a HUGE difference.

Before I got it fitted, the only mods I had where extractors, exhaust and K&N air filter. I had 119kw at the wheels.
Got the Unichip installed (and no other mods at the time) and ended up with 130kw at the wheels. (a 11kw or 14hp increase at the wheels)

Had a lot more bottom end, and revved up a lot quicker.

Since then I have had an engine rebuild, and am not pushing out 151kw at the wheels. I know my car would not run right with out the unichip. (Before I got it reprogrammed to suit the new mods, it was backfiring, stalling, hunting at idle, and running way too rich...)

If you are planning on doing some major mods, I would definatly invest in a reprogrammable chip like the UniChip.

:)
Kelli S

·
24 Posts
I guess im lucky because aui & auii are reprogramable computers and you dont have to waste any money on piggy back type chips that are prone to failure.. Anyway for the time being im happy with my stocker xr8 ute putting out 228.6 hp or 170.46 kw @ the rear wheels with the standard ecu.. oh and the 300 + that was actually 330 kw used a eecv ecu aswell.. food for thought.. Brad

K

·
0 Posts
If your XR8 is stock standard and puts out that kw at the rear wheels, your onto something! Ring Ford - they'll buy the car back! Who would need a stroker/supercharger or anything else - maybe check your dyno shop and ask them for a calibration cert on their machine.

P

·
0 Posts
myxr8ute: You better have a talk to my eec4 Cobra eec then.It's runing too rich also.
Next will be better ecu or blown,the way this thing runs so rich would suit that!To be fair it has to be checked if all sensers etc are working to their best.Has Cobra kit,T/wedge heads,f303 cam..>Not std<..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts