Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ford Forums Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are too many unregisted users on ford forums, i suggest that you make only a few threads available to them unless they register.
That way the website will grow and have more information.

Regards
Tom

·
Registered
917 Posts
tomxy said:
There are too many unregisted users on ford forums, i suggest that you make only a few threads available to them unless they register.

Regards
Tom
Bad idea. I expect many will vote with the feet.

·
Ford Forums Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if you have a look, right now it says there are "544 (22 members and 522 guests)".
I think that most people just dont register because they dont really have to, they can look at everything already.
Unregisted users dont contribute to the website, so i thought it might be better if a few threads were only available to registed users only.
JUST A THOUGHT

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello,

I never used to live under a bridge, nor do I have a thing about goats. The Forum is about sharing info, and has links to sponsors. They pay for the site. I joined to Post a question. I would have earlier, but was concerned about receiving spam. I have had enough calls from a phone company, ends with an us. Not shure if it starts with an or opt. Same thing. I dont want crap with my computer. I dont want an add for a holden. ( there are many links ) as I think they make, well, not my car. Since this site wont allways recognize a member, many most likely are.

Weazle

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Weazle said:
I never used to live under a bridge, nor do I have a thing about goats. The Forum is about sharing info, and has links to sponsors. They pay for the site.

Actually, sponsors pay for a portion of the site. Most of it will come out of the owners pockets.

Weazle said:
I joined to Post a question. I would have earlier, but was concerned about receiving spam. I have had enough calls from a phone company, ends with an us. Not shure if it starts with an or opt. Same thing. I dont want crap with my computer. I dont want an add for a holden. ( there are many links ) as I think they make, well, not my car. Since this site wont allways recognize a member, many most likely are.

Weazle
That is the thing. This site never sends spam out nor has it ever sold out email information. This is the one thing that would drive away members too fast. Now if you place your email address in your site signature or in your posts you will obviously get spam from automated bots that troll the internet for such things.

·
Ford Forums Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not test it out for a week or so, just to see if there is any difference.
I find it really annoying because your questions arnt answered as quick as on other forums.

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
tomxy said:
Unregisted users dont contribute to the website
and they also dont use bandwidth that you arent paying for.
i dont see what the problem is to be honest. if you want an elitist club, go make your own website. the internet is for EVERYONE.
some may not sign up as they have found the info they needed already and dont see the point in wasting peoples time.
like Lunatic said if you lock the forums down so it cant be used by unregistered users, how are they going to see if its worth joining up to?
you wont get new users and their knowledge base, so your questions will be answered a lot slower again.

·
Ford Forums Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm just saying that it might help the website, i dont care if you do or dont. Just trying to help the owners of the site, its not hard to register so i dont see the problem?

Like i said before, mabye you should just do as Australian Ford Forums did and just lock a few things before people register, so they want to sign up to see the rest.

Do what you want, all im doing is suggesting something

·
Administrator
980 Posts
Im all for locking down the off topic. its not car related, it can actually become more personal for the members and adds a little mystery to the site so to speak. If you really want to know whats in there youll register. If all you want is to ask a question or read some posts about Fords then its all there for you. I really doubt people come to fordforums hoping to find a political debate in OT :)

·
Hi-Tech *******
1,486 Posts
I do not allow guests to post on My Forums unless they register. Guests are allowed to view the entire board though.

I feel that this place should make guests register to post, but can still view the board without registration.

·
I used to know this stuff
212 Posts
yo! I have another sugg.
Post a sticky in all sections with a statement asking all new posters to come back and read the replies and a tleast enter an ok or whatever.
There are too many one-time posters here to make it worthwhile to log-in here and see if anyone has further Qs on their tread or any results acheived...

·
Registered
4 Posts
tomxy said:

Regards
Tom
That will be counter-productive IMO.

I registered less than 1 hour ago. Why ? Because I wanted to ask a question. Maybe I wouldn't have registered if I hadn't seen that this was a reasonably active and helpful forum. That is, if I couldn't read the thread of interest to me, I would be entirely lost for you.

Forcing people to register for viewing won't entice them into writing. If someone is motivated enough to write something here, (s)he will register like I did. If someone is not motivated enough, (s)he probably won't be much more motivated after having had to register. Your suggestion will just drive people away, potential contributors alike. While free viewing attracts.

There's also the question of links coming from Google and search engines. I came here by Google. Ban Google from indexing this site and you keep people like me out.

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
Seems the new owners have cut off some of the areas for unregistered users. Mostly this area and the pub (offtopic), but has left the general tech areas seem to be able to be read without registering.

Not so sure why those areas would be blocked as it does not hurt those that are just here reading to get tech as those areas are not as heavily traveled. I dont know the logic behind it, but it is the new owners ideas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I viewed FordForum for the first time yesterday and, as I am about to purchase a new Ford Territory went straight to that thread. The information there was so useful I registered today.

I really don't want to debate the pro's and con's of one brand versus another but would like to be an active contributor in sorting out the teething problems that are sometimes encountered with new cars.

If I hadn't been able to see how useful some parts of this forum are there would be no reason for me to join. I am still finding my way around the forum but I think the owners have certainly got it right regarding the current access arrangements.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts