Ford Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Probe Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I need to have the tranny rebuilt after gernading the torque converter. About 3000.00 CDN bucks later (about 20 bucks US) I had the car back in service. I have heard that these tranny's frequently go, how has everyone else made out with them?

·
Probe Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry I should have clarified that I have an auto tranny. I made the assumption that everyone would know that the auto has a torque converter while the manual has a clutch. I'm sorry.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Ford/Mazda ATX have always been pretty weak for the FWD cars. I dunno if there is one out there that doesn't have it's share of problems. So long as you refrain from neutral drops and the like, the tranny is usually pretty reliable. If you want to extend it's life though, it would be very beneficial to add an external tranny cooler. I put one on mine (an GT with an auto...ATX POWA!) and haven't lost a tranny since.

...of course it took 3 trannies before that to learn that heat was the biggest problem our trannies had. Also, if you are looking to beef up your tranny in the future, alot of the ATX guys have gotten heavier duty stall converters from Level 10. From what I hear, they're well worth the $$$.

·
Probe Owner
475 Posts
if your going to get a level ten torque converter u might as well swap the trans to a manual unless your going for some serious power by turboing. im thinking about getting mine rebuilt. im trying to generate small power though.. just like 350-400hp via a t04B. so auto trans would serve me better.

·
Probe Member
37 Posts
The ATX's in the 2.0L cars are especially bad for the 94-97 vehicles. This is the tranny coded the CD4E for those not aware. Unlike the rest of the cars mechanicals, this is a Ford transmission. The 93 2.0's and all the GT's have Mazda's 4EAT transmission.

The CD4E was a brand new design for 1994. The Probe is one of the cars unfortunate enough to get its debut. There are also many reasons why these go bad, and not just one major problem. The most common problem is pump failure. Basically, when the pump dies the transmission overheats and is quickly killed! There has also been problems with the drums cracking, and the pump gasket in 94's and some 95's failing and clogging the valve body.

Since they redesigned the TSS sensor, I am assuming this was a reliability problem as well. The change made it "fit" better on the pump.

Yeah, I know too much about this tranny but mine died at 11,000 miles and I decided to try and figure out the problems. What happened was pump failure, which cause it to overheat. The lubricant broke down and killed the bearings. It all was fixed on Ford's tap fortunately!

In short, Ford just doesn't have the bugs worked out of these things yet and us unfortunate Probe owners (along with Countour/Mystique, Cougar, and now Escape/Tribute) owners have to put up with them!

·
Big Poppa
441 Posts
MTX reprazentin'
For that much money to replace a TC I definately wouldve went with a level10 and done it myself...
A level10 will give you a stall speed of about 3000 whereas the stock is much lower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.