Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From todays Australian newspaper:

MORE `VISUAL HORSEPOWER' FOR EMBATTLED FALCONS
Terry Martin The Australian.

FORD Australia's design director Simon Butterworth has vowed to toughen up the appearance of the embattled Falcon, starting with the revised T-Series sports sedans due for release next month and following up a year later with the new AV Falcon range. The former Jaguar designer, who joined Ford Australia in February, said the T-Series will "have a lot more visual horsepower" when it returns with a performance advantage over the Falcon XR8 and the ability to go doorhandle-to-doorhandle with the HSV ClubSport.

"(The new look) is trying to give it some steroids -- building on it and strengthening it and putting the tenacity in the right places," he said.

It is a theme Butterworth confirmed would be reinforced with the entire AV Falcon line-up when the substantial mid-life facelift of the current model hits the streets next year.

Budget constraints have meant Mr Butterworth and the chief architect of the AV Falcon, his predecessor Scott Strong, were forced to retain the current model's passenger cell, doors and heavily curved roofline.

However, the new car will have a completely new front and rear end and is expected to draw significantly from the new-generation Mondeo (not sold here ), which Mr Butterworth said embodies the design direction Ford is taking with its medium-large sedans.

"This Falcon is going to be a car which won't have any excuses," he said. "It 's going to be very well accepted by a lot of people. "

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
Thats some strong words there.
I hope it looks as good as it sounds on paper.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Falcon said:

"(The new look) is trying to give it some steroids -- building on it and strengthening it and putting the tenacity in the right places," he said.
Droool... now we're talking.. :D Be interesting to see how the T's look in October. If the Rebel is anything to go by they should be pretty good..

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Like to know why these guys are so confident.
If that red commodore in wheels is close there won't be any easy sales to gain.:(

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Sounds good. I hope they make the EB and ELGTs look like girls cars and more importantly HSVs :p. Great to see theyve realised that some well executed agressive looks are needed as much as power. Should'nt have long to wait before we see them?

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Commodore VY in Wheels is pretty much a VX anyways, hardly any changes worth note.
And call me crazy, but I was surprised how similar the AU/VX look in the photo on the bottom right hand side of page 43.

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
There probably is a market for more aggressive styling, HSV's VX series seem to be selling well.

I think the first thing that needs to be done to both the SS and XR8 is lower them some or bigger rims. The both sit too high.

I actually prefer the styling of say the VTII GTS to the current HSV's but that's only because it is more subtle (except for the red interior)

T

·
0 Posts
FORD Australia's design director Simon Butterworth has vowed to toughen up the appearance of the embattled Falcon, starting with the revised T-Series sports sedans due for release next month

a year later with the new AV Falcon range.

"have a lot more visual horsepower" when it returns with a performance advantage over the Falcon XR8 and the ability to go doorhandle-to-doorhandle with the HSV ClubSport.

AV Falcon line-up when the substantial mid-life facelift of the current model hits the streets next year.

However, the new car will have a completely new front and rear end

[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

What does all that mean...does that mean we wont see the AV until 2002-3.
Also what does visual horsepower mean

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Visual horse power means it will look as though it might be fast!

I don't care if the red commodore in wheels is a CG mock up. It was meant to be based on supposed inside sources.
I like it. Personally I hope the commodore doesn't look like that for Ford sake.

And again personally I hope they don't go too far overboard with these new kits for the T series. I maintain it wasn't the original look that was the problem. Had Ford put the stroker in this model from day one it think it would have sold in numbers.

T

·
0 Posts
HSE2 said:
Visual horse power means it will look as though it might be fast!

I don't care if the red commodore in wheels is a CG mock up. It was meant to be based on supposed inside sources.
I like it. Personally I hope the commodore doesn't look like that for Ford sake.

And again personally I hope they don't go too far overboard with these new kits for the T series. I maintain it wasn't the original look that was the problem. Had Ford put the stroker in this model from day one it think it would have sold in numbers.
mate I have said this from day one, and I will continue to say it, horsepower wins the day..however there were certain members who disagreed, but thats there problem, I'm glad, I'm not the only one, to think along these lines. Its not like Ford could'nt have done it, they just did'nt listen to the public, whoever was in charge at that time set the rules for the next 10 years with a super duper plan, however the plan has'nt exactly worked, and poor geoff has had to wear the brunt...but time will tell. I have fought for a stroker 2-3 years ago, and now they start to bring them out..plus tickford plan to sell an over the counter stroker kit...2-3 years too late guys. so lets just play catch up with Holden again.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Must say i agree with Doc here,

Dunno about other car market sectors but in the Large Ford Vs GM power does sell. Just look in the yeasr gone by, when ford was climbing the sales charts in the XW, XY days. Even through the XA - XC days. Ok ok the XD-XF ford led by a considerable margin but that was because of it's previous history.

So although styling will play a role, but if Ford get the power they will win sales.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I know the T series isn't everyone cup of tea, but when you see one in the flesh or on the road they do stand out already.

I agree maybe the TE model or whatever they decide to call it might need the wild approach but the TS I like as is.
That red one in the showroom section and the silver one I saw on the highway a couple of weeks ago convinced me.

Now this aftermarket stroker kit has me stumped. I hope Ford really do this but I fear this is smoke. I have asked Tickford and people (higher up) and they indicated it would cause problems.

On the other hand a development like this for only 12 months must go somewhere.
Do it Ford (please)

T

·
0 Posts
To be honest, I have only ever seen one T-Series in Sydney on the road. I would'nt know it again if I fell over it. Are they any different in looks to the XR8.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
To be honest, I have only ever seen one T-Series in Sydney on the road. I would'nt know it again if I fell over it. Are they any different in looks to the XR8.
Depends on how you view them I guess.. I really like them because they are both inconspicuous and recognisable at the same time. Understated, but with touches of niceness like the larger rims and decal'd skirting. Not overdone like the R8's, ie. all big spoilers and panel gaps.

Doc - visual differences mainly are the headlight and grille treatment, size of the rear spoiler, and rim size and design.

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
194 Posts
Have a look at my car under "My fun mobile" in the showroom. You can see a TE from different angles, to me they stand out, but then again I am a little biased.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
TeeHee said:
Have a look at my car under "My fun mobile" in the showroom. You can see a TE from different angles, to me they stand out, but then again I am a little biased.
And that is the point. I have always thought that the T series do stand out just as they are. Be it moving or standing still.

Some people want more, so I assume Fords market research has told them this.
Either way I can't wait to see what they come up with. I might have to get my edition of Motor laminated when it comes out;)

Speaking of the Motor coverage of the original T series launch, that edition is still my fav and gets a look at on a regular basis

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
I wonder which direction the will take the styling update for the T-Series, in the way that it could look rounded or go for the VX HSV look,:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
499 Posts
If tickford want the understated but tough look, they only need look at the Focus RS as an example. I reckon a treatment like that on a AU would look superb. Need wide boots though. Best of all it would end all this bullsh!t about Ford copying HSV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts