Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
XR82GO
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been roped into helping a mate out tomorrow night.

His S13 Silvia's motor died (no problems there he has a gtr skyline donk to go into it) And I have to tow it back from Brisbane to Lismore With the XR8 ute and a car trailer.
Lmao the rice bubble poped

Now this is my question.

Am I going to have problems towing some thing of this weight.

My ute has been lowered I'm guessing by about 40mm.
I think i have the chunky factory tow pack on the car.
I have an auto as well. (should I stay out of drive with it towing such a weight?)

Come on those of you that have car towing expirence. Suggestions or thoughts on the matter.
By the way i have never towed anything like this before

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
You won't have any problems as far as power and weight is concerned.
You may have trouble in as much as rear end sag on your ute. Mainly because to create a nice stable load, you need to have a a fair bit of 'ball' weight, that is, the amount of weight on the tow ball. If your total towed wieght is (say) 2000kg, then you should have at least 150kg - 200kg ball weight. Now because this weight is right at the back of the ute, getting heaps of leverage, it will load you down quite a bit.
It should still handle it ok, it's just that your steering will be a little light and handling will feel odd. If you see that it does sag quite a bit, just keep the speed below 100 and it shouldn't sway.

I would also increase the tyre pressures to at least 40psi.
Yes, towing in 3 rather than D would be a good idea, and manual changing down going down hills won't hurt either.
You should also make sure 100% that you have the big square tube 2300kg tow pack fitted as the normal one is only rated for 1600kg.

The car mechanicals will be fine.
I've towed many full sized sedans on car trailers with my I6 XH ute without hiccup.

Rick.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
So that would make around 1700kg total towed weight.
1100kg car + 600kg trailer = 1700kg, shoul be a snap to tow.

Rick.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
You might be close, find out how heavy the trailer is and find out exactly what your tow bar is capable of.

Rick.

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
i towed an HQ on a trailer 200k's with my old EA, which only had a tongue-style hitch... i wouldn't recommend it, but it can be done...

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
i once towed over 2 tonnes, at the weigh bridge it was over 3500 kgs, in our xd..... need i say more?

·
XR82GO
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's all good guys just got home all safe and sound. The Xr8 performed beautifully.
Guessing A S13 silvia weighs between 1100kgs - 1300kgs
The trailer was 800kg's
So the 1600kg tow pack works really well. lol
Only had one drama :wnc:

On the way home comming through the Ewingsdale Interchange (near Byron) we were heading up St Helena ( Read: big slippery hill) Its bucketing down rain, so we are reduced to 2nd gear at about 40kph and the gear box decided to drop back to first didn't it. :AAHHH:
Lmao a little bit of a power slide up the hill. But with bit of steering correction it was all good.

Thanks guys for all your help and advice. :zzz:

·
Senior Events Moderator
1,710 Posts
sylox said:
It's all good guys just got home all safe and sound. The Xr8 performed beautifully.
Guessing A S13 silvia weighs between 1100kgs - 1300kgs
The trailer was 800kg's
So the 1600kg tow pack works really well. lol
You mad bugger. So your tow pack is only the 1600kg one and you towed roughly around 2000kg - 2100kg with it. Least everything turned out ok and im sure when they rate these bars they proably can tow around that much then they reduce the towing limits on them for better relability. But I would not be towing anything that heavy for a long period of time who knows you could have left the tow bar behind. Good stuff and good to see everything went as planned.

·
Registered
461 Posts
AU1SIXA said:
You mad bugger. So your tow pack is only the 1600kg one and you towed roughly around 2000kg - 2100kg with it. Least everything turned out ok and im sure when they rate these bars they proably can tow around that much then they reduce the towing limits on them for better relability. But I would not be towing anything that heavy for a long period of time who knows you could have left the tow bar behind. Good stuff and good to see everything went as planned.
I agree with everything you said and will add: you may be able to exceed limits many times, but one time you will cause damage. Same as speeding, you don't get caught every time you speed, but it can happen on your first or 100th time...... Be very wary about towing more than your car is setup for because the damage caused can be very $$$$$$ to repair...

·
XR82GO
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a one off thing guys.

Not planing on towing anything like that again but even still am getting the H/d tow pack fitted soon.

·
Rail Rider
1,248 Posts
Towbars are tested at 2 1/2 times what it actually says on plate.

Not that I say ignore it the rating but for one off stuff it's nothing to worry about.

·
Lost in FF
381 Posts
best experience i ahd was towing my xb ute in an old merc lol locked the brakes going down a hill straight through the lights.... not a cool thing to do

1 - 18 of 18 Posts