Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( The tow capacity of a manual XR8 is a piss poor 1200kg, even with the 1600kg tow bar. Not very good really.... I would imagine that careful clutch use would allow heavier loads, or is it the gearbox that's the problem?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SS Commo is 1600kg with M6. 1200kg is a 6x4 box trailer with a bit of sand... :eek:

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
The difference is the drivetrain can handle that load on the commode its just the piece of **** body etc that will creak and fall apart after pulling those loads for a sustained ammount of time.

:wink2:

Do you know what the rating is for the auto and also what about the XR6.

:?:

Also I don't know about everyone else but when I see a car towing a boat, caravan, trailer etc 80% of the time it is a Falcon, everyone knows if you want to tow buy a Falcon.

·
Administrator
5,119 Posts
Adam I see a heap of boats towed by falcons here in NZ as well.Tho there are still alot towed by como's as well.The commo's always look as if their arses are draggin on the road tho.They look weak at the rear.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Falcon goes up to 2300kg if you have an auto for both 6 and V8. ALmost double the manual! :fmad:

Commos go to 1600 manual and 2100 auto.

T

·
0 Posts
can I ask a dumb question....why the hell would you tow anything with an XR8 in the first place. the car is a sports car, use the wifes car to tow the trailer...jeeze.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My last Ford hauled 62500kg and it had a clutch :thumbup:

Had 470hp as well :wink2:
Not considered much anymore though. Most use 525+ for doubles these days..... Seen some guys using 600+ now :cool:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Aussie- Have you actually decided on buying an XR8 or are you still weighing up your options?

What is an aircraft trader? Do you buy and sell planes?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buy and sell aircraft and engines, as well as major components. Most of it is leasing these days (just like cars I suppose).

As for decisions, I am still heading towards the XR8 - just waiting for Ford to do the right thing (I won't buy a 200kW). However, I will never rule out the SS if Ford don't make the XR8 a match for SS equipment like power, TC and body kit.

I've got a guy at City Ford SYD on standby - as soon as he hears orders are open, I'm in there :evil2:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Ok I was just wondering as I was reading some of your posts over on LS1 last night. Even with the 220 in the XR8 it won't really be on a level playing field with the SS in turms of getting more bang for buck. As you have already stated the Ls1 is very easy to extract more from with little money required. We really have to wait til 2003 for the 5.4 and maybe something a little better in higher spec models:(

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Oh and although T series is fitted with traction control and it is a very good system you don't really need it. The level of grip from the Ford rear end, with suitable rubber of coarse, is far better the the Holden in most conditions.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TC is for the missus in the rain :eek:

As for LS1 stuff, that's fine if I buy a car private. However, with novated leasing etc. the car would have to stay stock so it makes the XR8 220 a much nicer car than Holden. The ONLY reason to look at SS is the extra grunt factor (mods) - and the tow rating (although how will Ford know I'm towing 1600kg :evil2: )

The way I see it, I drive the car so it has to look good on the INSIDE. Tell me Commo comes close to an XR with Howe leather and Momo wheel/shifter... ;)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I don't have a big rap for the Ford centre console but the main instrument cluster in the Ford is better. Holden do seem to have a blind spot when it comes to interior trim selection but they are one step ahead of HSV.

Can the 2300kg tow pack be fitted to the XR range??:confused:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer says 2300 pack can only be fitted to autos. Manuals get 1600 pack but rating is max 1200. :(

T

·
0 Posts
Aussie Pete
are you on drugs mate...you said your last ford towed 62500kg's. that equates to 62.5 ton in the old language.
are you sure you have'nt popped in an extra zero.

if that is correct put me down for a pound.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Well at a guess I would say he has owned a truck at some stage. The reference to power and not being much for a double is referring to a B double. Or at least that is what I think he is talking about. My family is in trucks as well!:)

T

·
0 Posts
this guy is going to be hard to keep up with.
from towing capacitys to trailers to b-doubles in the space of 4 replies. whats next cat - haulpacs.

like trying to calculate the compound interest of the parabolic circle travelling at the speed of light passed four men who took 5 day's to mow a lawn of six acres.

my head hurts.:CraZ:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts