Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Probe Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ATX Tranny just got screwed over for the 3rd time since i have had this car (bout 1 1/2 years) Gonna cost me about 1500 if i can't find a good deal on a good used on up here in Michigan. Think it is worth it? Its a 1991 LX with 98,000 miles a kick but stero and some egine and exaust mods.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
I'd say if it's going to cost 1500 bucks, just swap it out for a manual which won't break down as easily, it'll be cheaper and better performing............ you said the engine and stereo kicked ass so why not get it up and running again?

·
Probe Member
104 Posts
yeah, vulcan is right, if your engine is running good just swap the tranny to a 5spd one they make your probe better at racing and its great to know that you can shift whenever you please, and you got to love the downshifting, just my 2cents

·
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member
276 Posts
i wish id done that. i spent 2200 like a moron (dont ask my why i did it i really know it was dumb) on the atx.

·
Probe Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I haven't been on lately guys, stupid [email protected] is always down. I have been looking into swapping out for a manual. I talked to someone from here on the other side of the state. Yes I would love to put a manual in my car. I have heard that the parts are cheaper, but to convert is the instillation much much more?? I mean you have to add a cluch. Maybe it is just me, but if i do convert. Does anyone know of anyplace good enough to work on my probe, I would trust another Prober, but I am not sure where to take it for a garage. Anyhow, I am just guessing the Labor would counteract the price of the parts, but anyone haveing any sugestions please let me know, i don't want this baby to not run for a while, i know she can come back to life, i just know it.

·
276 Posts
I have a clutch master cylinder and a clutch pedal assembly that id let go really cheap if you need them.

I was going to do the swap, but some things came up and i have to put it off for awhile... besides, my atx is under warranty still.

·
276 Posts
i can refer you to a few places to pick up a used manual tranny cheap too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone know the steps and what i will need to do a tranny swap. I know its worth it and i would really like to do this. Also about how much does it cost.

·
276 Posts
i have a complete list of everything you will need, and you can do it for under a grand easily if you do the work yourself.

·
TxPoc Moderator
84 Posts
Hmm if there were some way to get the 6spd tranny that that one 3.0 had down in south america.....would that even be possible?

~G~

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
Dude... I can do the swap for you... it's not like I havent' driven half way across the state to help some other people. (where I live it's almost always a drive to help people out). I can guarantee that you'd be happier with my work versus any shop out there, I know what I'm doing. As for parts, I may be able to hook you up with some of them as well. Let me know what you want to spend and when you could get the money to do this. I'll get back to you.

BTW... are you on NPON? I'm over there much more often and it is now the "home" of MIPOC.

·
Probe Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry, not up on the lingo NPON?? not sure what that is, I am looking at getting a 94 probe, if that doesn't go through then i will spend the money on the new tranny, i want to spend as little as possible since this is the third time it has gone out

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
First of all.. I really don't think the tranny is completely bad. I think it's fixable.

Anyway... NPON http://probesport.com/forums

94 SE's are ... well they aren't your LX. Nor are they a 94 GT...

·
276 Posts
you wont have tranny problems if you go to a 5 speed.

the atx is trouble... i wish i had swapped mine.

·
Probe GL Member
77 Posts
Huh? That's kinda funny...

Since my swap in march I've had the tranny out of the car 4 times. And my LX... well I've had to replace the 5th input gear because of the infamous popping out of 5th gear problem, and now the 3rd gear synchro is going out.

Saying that you won't have tranny problems if you swap... that's a farce and hardly correct. Another thing. MTX parts are VERY difficult to find. At least they still make parts for the ATX.

·
White men Cant Jump!
201 Posts
Dude.. Check your PM's

I left you a message at PT before it went down regarding something you need at a great price

Peace yo!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts