Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Thunderbird Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

This is a new site and I'm happy to be the first person to post in the tech area for the MN12 T-Birds.

I'd like to make a few points.

1) ALL 1994 through 1997 T-Birds and Cougars are equipped with a 4R70W transmission. Not and AOD or AOD-E.

That means 3.8L, 3.8L SC ('94-'95) and all 4.6L V-8 equipped MN12 vehicles.

2) The '94-'97 4.6L T-Bird and Cougars are electronically governed to 105 mph. The '94-'95 3.8L SC is set at 125 mph. The only way around it, is a custom chip or a custom EEC reflash.

3) ALL '94-'97 4.6L T-Birds and Cougars are controlled by the EEC-V with OBD-II. The '94-'95 3.8L V-6 and SC are EEC-IV. The '96-'97 3.8L n/a are also EEC-V/OBD-II.

Have fun,

A-Train

·
Thunderbird Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not exactly...

The '89-'93 SC's did not have electronically governed speed limiters. The AOD was the limiter so to speak. It WILL NOT allow a WOT (wide open throttle) upshift into OD.

So you're right. No governor on your car.

It doesn't mean you should go that fast though. The driveshaft starts to bend arounf 110 mph or near it's critical speed. If you have an auto, the TC likes to balloon and expand on it's axis around 5,400 rpm.

Both are equally dangerous.

A-Train

·
Thunderbird Member
55 Posts
oh i wasnt planning on going that fast was just curious... my car needs its oem wheels and perf. tires and a balljoint b4 id even think of taking it that far, but i wouldnt want to cause i wouldnt want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!

I got a 94 and I need to make it stick because my transmission is broke. Where can I get one off?
A 1996 mustang maybe?
Will the t-45 fit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats funny I have 97 lx with 3.8 and i just rebuilt traany and it was definately an aode or the parts would not have fit !!Including trans-go shift kit.

·
1,836 Posts
tbird nut said:
Thats funny, I have 97 LX with a 3.8L and I just rebuilt tranny and it was definetely an AODE or the parts would not have fit, including Trans-Go shift kit.
FYI- the 4R70W is a slightly revised version of the AOD-E, which is a reworked electronic version of the AOD. Just like in the Taurus the AX4S was originally the AXOD-E, which was originally the AXOD; and the 4F50N originally being the AX4N.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts