Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have ford escape 2003 (3.0 L DOHC V6 Duratec Engine, Automatic Transmission) and I need to change its transmission fluid and power steering fluid but I am having difficulty to find Mercon ATF as specified in the owner manual. I asked Ford dealers and they said that Mercon ATF was no longer produced and Mercon V should supersede Mercon ATF.

But the owner manual has clearly mentioned that my ford car should use Mercon ATF for transmission fluid (as well as for power steering fluid) and it is written that "Mercon and Mercon V are not interchangeable. DO NOT mix Mercon and Mercon V" when changing its transmission fluid.

I have looked for many online stores including Amazon and I can't find Motorcraft Mercon ATF anymore. Is there any other brand (beside Motorcraft) which is compatible with Motorcraft Mercon ATF?

Your response is really appreciated. Thank you.

·
Administrator
8,470 Posts
Yes, Mercon V replaced Mercon. Ford issued a bulliten about this.

You can get the universal Dextron/Mercon which is available most anywhere including Walmart.

Maybe use the universal in the power steering and V in the transmission?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jwko,

There are many ATFs in the market and I am getting confused here (LOL). If you can give me a specific direction what type of universal Dextron/Mecron that is equivalent with Motorcraft Mercon, it will be helpful.

I won't use Mercon V anyway although Ford had issued the bulletin that Mercon V replaced Mercon. If so, why didn't they say so in the owner manual? I believe that Mercon V has ingredients that are more advanced than Mercon. That's why Mercon can't be interchangeable with Mercon V as what my owner manual says. I'm going to stick with the outdated owner manual though.

In my opinion, Ford is like Microsoft abandoning Window XP and doesn't care what customers are going through with it since they are expecting all consumers to change into Window 7! This type of behaviour is actually disservice to their customers because Ford dealers I have called are also not willing to give a direction of the equivalent ATFs in the market to their customers who are still using vehicles with Mercon.

Anyway, what I am confused about is...

1) I have seen an ATF in the market that shows Dexron III/Mercon on Amazon.com. Here is the shorten link I am talking about. https://tinyurl.com/y2h8h8a7

It specifies that "Recommended for a wide range of vehicles requiring DEXRON-III/MERCON or MERCON V fluids including; GM (pre-2006 models), Ford (all models except where MERCON SP, LV or Type F are required), Mazda (all models), Honda/Acura (all models except Continuous Var)"

But I've read "Selecting the Proper Automatic Transmission Fluid" at https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/autotransfluid/

The article says that "Mercon -- introduced in 1987 and similar to Dexron II..." and "Mercon V -- the most common Ford ATF in late model Fords, it is very much like Dexron III..."

Does it mean that Dexron III is equal to Mercon V and Dexron II is equal to Mercon? However, the ATF on Amazon says this ATF can be used for Dexron III/Mercon??

2) Another one is https://tinyurl.com/yxbchavk

This is Mobil 1 112980 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

It says that it is suitable with my car (2003 Ford Escape 3.0 L Engine). But Mobile 1 is fully synthetic fluid. And I am wondering if Motorcraft Mercon is fully synthetic fluid? In my opinion, I don't think so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts