Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start my post off I need to give a little back story on what has happened with my edge. Around this time last year I have a little mishap with a rear main seal leak that I didn't catch in time. Well the engine started knocking soon after and i quickly determined it to be a rod knock. I contracted a local shop to replace the motor in it with a used motor. Soon after the engine got replaced the PTU started leaking transmission fluid out of the passenger side half shaft. I told the shop it was leaking and they basically told me it wasn't their fault but they will split the cost with me. I had that fixed about 2 weeks after the engine replacement. About 3 months after this I started hearing another knock I quickly determined this to be a broken flex plate soon after the transmission started leaking out of the bell housing I told the shop and they repeated again not their fault.

I decided that I was gonna tear the transmission out myself and replace the torgue converter seal. Got the transmission out only to realize that when the shop replaced the motor they never replaced the dowel pins to locate the transmission and the bell housing. So I ordered the pins and replaced the seal and got it all back together only to realize the stupid thing is still leaking. I am at a loss for words or ideas on how to fix this. So my question to the hive mind is where do I start on how to fix this. I was told by one shop that it is most likely to be the torgue converter being all tore up by spinning out of round, but another shop told me that it could be something internal in the transmission that could be leaking. Obviously what I do know is that the fluid has to be leaking around the torgue converter shaft because I can see the fluid running down the bell housing. Do I replace the whole transmission and the converter or do I just replace the converter and hop for the best? On a side note if I replace the transmission I was told that the PCM or one of the computers need to be flashed in order to talk with the new transmission is this true or was he blowing smoke up my ass?

·
Super Moderator
7,734 Posts
If the transmission module gets changed with the transmission, you may need a reflash. Modern automatic transmissions are very complex compared to the old schools ones I grew up with, I'd take it to a reputable transmission shop, and leave the other shop to the engine issues. It's clear that they aren't going to help you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts