Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I'm restoring a 1962 Ford Falcon and I'm looking to go as stock as possible. I'm trying to find a three-speed transmission that will work with the original column shifter on the Falcon (three-on-the-tree). I've ready a lot of places that the Ford Falcon used a Borg Warner T-86 in '62. Is there a difference in transmissions for column shifting and floor shifting? I'm hoping to get some insight on this as I would like to get it right the first time. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reading about Falcons makes me feel right at home here - I played with them for a long time and miss them a lot. I hope I don't get in trouble for this; The place I used to get all of my falcon modification advice was the ford six forum at www.fordsix.com. People there have tried just about every imaginable 6cyl modification or swap, although I don't know how active it is these days.

I remember some discussion about replacing the stock "paper transmission" as some referred to it, with an all synchro trans from a '67 up Mustang, Maverick, etc, but I don't remember more than that. I can't answer your question exactly, but do seem to recall comments about Mustang 3 speeds not working in Falcons without mods due to either a difference in the case and/or shifter location, which is further back on a Falcon. I'd check with that forum, and read back through the years. I know there's info there. I went from the 3 speed to a C-4 as it's a stronger transmission, but that involves a lot of other changes. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Correction; I think the shifter location is back further on a Mustang, so you can only use that in a Falcon if you have bucket seats and use a floor shift, but I'd double check on that. If you really want the original setup, keep perusing craigslist as there's bound to be someone parting a car out at some point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts