Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vintage Mustang Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to put in a manual transmission in my car to replace the C4. I want to know if I need to make a new hole for the stick, or does it come out the same place as the selector for the C4 did? I dont even have the transmission yet but I want to know what else is involved in this long job so I can prepare the car. I have the car sitting for the winter so its no big deal how long it will take. Any advice/tips on this job are welcome. Thanks all.

G

·
Well, I went the opposite way (auto to manual), but I do have some answers for you. The shifter should end up in the same place. Hoses obviously. I am not sure about this, but if you have a manual car with an original radiator it may or may not have the setup for the transmission lines. All the aftermarket ones do. New pedal assembly. Remove z bar and pivot points etc. Drive shaft should stay the same. I think the crossmember is the same too.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
31 Posts
You have choices to make. Toploader 4 speeds and BW and Tremec T5's are just as common. Then there's the heavier duty Tremec 5 speed transmissions and Richmond Gear 6 speed. I have experience with the T5. It mounts in 65/66 cars using a late bell housing or a transmission adapter. Each of these requires a different crossmember. These are already engineered and easy to find. Basically, its a bolt in. In my '65 I used CPC adapters and the shifter poked right through the hole in the perfect spot. I added a stock toploader bezel and boot on the interior side and it screwed in place perfectly. Looks like it was made that way. I use the classic look alike shift handle. You can use virtually any late shifter or custom make your own. The transmission has a stub shifter with two bolt holes in it. The shifter could be made from bar stock steel if you wanted to fashion one for yourself. This is a huge difference from the Toploader 4 speed which requires the shifter selector, rods and cranks, etc. See NPD's catalog for California Pony Cars adapters and Windsor-Fox for their adapters. Do not plan on mixing adapters as each brands engineering is unique. Windsor-Fox's approach is better if you wish cable clutch linkage and CPC's is probably better if you plan to use original z-bar clutch linkage. Cost is about the same for either the WF or CPC approach. Tremec heavy duty transmissions will cost a bit more and Richmond Gear will double your costs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts