Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom's 1964 Galaxie 500, 289, C-4 trans won't shift into 3rd.

The car was not driven for 3 years while other work was done to it. No leaks or low fluid level. Fluid is nice and pink with no bad smell.
Is something just stuck open or shut due to sitting? Will driving it regularly free it up?

It should be noted that the transmission worked perfectly before it stopped being driven. It had been rebuiltsome time back and has less than 10,000 miles on it. Probably 5000.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
820 Posts
How do you know its not going into 3rd? Im not second guessing you but C4s only use 2nd and 3rd under normal conditions and 1-3rd under heavy throttle.

Otherwise it could be something with the valve body.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to check it today. The shop owner that drove it home to her yesterday told her that it did not shift into third. He only works on American cars from the mid 50s through '72 so I trust that he has experience with the idiosyncracies of old cars but I'll double check it today.

I thought he might have had it in the first D detent instead of the one with the green dot. We'll see.

·
Administrator
8,181 Posts
Check for a bad or disconnected vacuum hose at the modulator valve. Also check where that line connects at the vacuum source.

If I remember correctly the modulator valve is on the passenger side of the transmission, behind the pan and faces toward the rear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts