Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
F-150 Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the Windsor family is the engine that gets the least amount of credit. Heck, the 302 was around from 1967 till mid 90's. Reliable, powerful and plentyful. Easy to make work on. Great oil system. You can make one talk to you too.

Now the 351W. Sure it doesn't breathe like a Cleveland, but it will make some torque. Heck, almost every waterski tow boat was equiped with a 351W. Why, cause of the low rpm grunt and reliablity.

Next to the SBC there isn't another engine that I can think of that has more aftermarket parts offered for it

With the right parts you can stroke one over 427 cu in.

·
Mustang Member
39 Posts
I have to admit, What the man says is true. I've got a 302 (306) in my current 86 GT that runs great. Mid 12 second street car. It's a blast to drive and very reliable. I've owned almost every engine Ford has made from the late 50's and up and the 02 is still one of my all time favorites.
TH

J

·
0 Posts
my good ol 302

The 302 I am currently running in my 68 fastback is one that I built for my dad's Sunbeam Tiger back in 1988. He bought a new gt 40 cate motor so I took back the 302 and just put a new dbl roller timing chain in it since he had racked up about 90,000 miles while he had this motor. I left in the engle cam ( duration 214-224 with 475 485 lift) and put on my f4b manifold with an 1850 holley. I drive it ever day and it currently runs 14.70's @ 94 mph through the mufflers on 245-60-14 radials. That motor still does not smoke and I sure enjoy driving it. Only problem is that about once every 6 months it blows a header gasket( just like last monday).

J

·
0 Posts
load spreader ring

Anybody on here an expert on the flexplate load spreader ring? The 302 I am about to put in our '70 does not have one and I cannot find one at the wrecking yards or Mustang catalogs. I have noticed from crawling under junkyard cars that the load spreader ring was not installed on 302s after about 1977. I have read that the load spreader ring is important, but just how important is it if Ford deleted it in the 70s? Could any one share an opinion with me? Thank you!

·
Mustang Member
39 Posts
I'd just go with an aftermarket flexplate if I were you. They are stronger than the stockers and hold up much better.
Luck
TH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts