Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am sure someone else has probably done it already, can you retrofit a trip computer to an el futura from the el fairmont / fairmont ghia. does it plug straight in? or do you have to alter the wiring to get to work.

any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers Craig

G

·
You can put them in, but they don't just plug straight in. I got a kit from Ford to put one in my xr8. It comes with part of a wiring loom that plugs into the rear demister switch, then you have to cut a wire from the old clock loom and run a wire to the instrument cluster. If you're buying the kit from ford it'd be real easy, it took me about 15 minutes. If not then you'll have to get hold of a wiring diagram to find out what goes where.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I brought the same kit from Fords when I brought my EF Wagon, the only kit available now is for the EL so for any of you guys out there with EFs and is contemplating fitting one of these - the colour of the dash is slightly different but not enough to really stick out. Likewise I had mine installed in just on an hour. (comes with all instructions)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice.

I buying my from a wrecker, should be in the mailbox tonight so I will be interested to see if it includes the additional wiring, if not I will have to get them to send it to me.

Is there any chance that either of you have the fitting instructions, which I could get a copy of?

Contact the local ford dealer at lunch, I understand I can't buy the wiring kit as a separate item.

thanks

Craig

·
Registered
542 Posts
Craig,

I'm pretty sure I've still got my fitting instructions, bear with me for a couple of days as I'll have to rumage through umpteen boxes - Have just moved from Perth to Adelaide and everything is still in boxes.

I'll be in touch

Paul

·
Registered
542 Posts
Craig,

I found the instructions, I tried to scan it but somethings not right - (probably me) Do you have a fax no - if so give it to me and I'll send them to you. If you don't want to put your Number here Email me on

[email protected]

all the best

Paul.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Anyone know if this can be done to an AU xr8 ? Not sure where in the dash i would put though. I know the AU only has two BCU instead og the three in the E series cars!

·
2004 BA XT Falcon Ute
84 Posts
What's the cost of the trip computer from the dealer and the wreckers respectively? I don't need one, but a mate at work wants one for his EL XR6. Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok the cost of the trip computer from the wreckers was $100 plus $10 freight to get it down to Canberra. I have priced wreckers before back in December in Adelaide (when I was on holiday's and where I grew up) and prices varied from what I was quoted was $150 but they had no stock up to $250 for a trip comupter.

Pricing a new trip computer from an unnamed ford dealer in Canberra as I think you guys can get cheaper spare part prices in Sydney, they quoted me $340 and had to order in.

The wrecker I brought it from didn't include the rest of the wiring loom but I spoke to them yeasterday and they are meant to be sending it down to me at no additional charge. I wait and see if I get anything in the mail in the next day or two.

·
Registered
542 Posts
For Hse2,

The trip computer in earlier cars basically replaced the clock, with the AU (not 100% sure but could have been AUII)wasn't the computer built into the dashboard display?
If it was that would mean replacing your instrument bezel. Wouldn't even know if you could use the existing wireing.

Now for Mangrovejack,
when I brought my XR6 I looked at either wrecker or ford kit and decided that the kit was the way to go, you might be lucky and find a car that's had the kit fitted and if so get the wireing,(You'll know if it is the kit because there will be a short wire extension between the male and female plugs on the Demister switch)
The kit is around the $270 mark and comes with the wireing - I would imagine the wreckers would be cosiderably cheaper.
I have just faxed a copy of the instructions to Craig. Look forward to your reply

Paul

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul

thanks for the instruction I have just got them, I will let everyone know how it goes after the weekend when I fit it.

Regarding the AU trip computer, I recall the trip comuter is only on the Fairmonts and above and they have a different dashboard as it in the middle with the auto climatic control switches, so it may not be possible to fit a trip computer, but I am happy to stand correct on this.

cheers Craig

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yeap you are right. The trip comp in the AU series is part of the HVAC controls as well.
The BMC is the same as the Fairmont, so other than wrecking the dash to replace the old HVAC.
The instrument cluster in AU contains some info, DTE, and speed alert on series two, but does not function as the Trip comp. It appears as though all the info is gathered buy the BMC I just don't have an easy way to extract it.
Looked at getting a Fairmont dash from the wreckers but gave the idea away.
Surprised so many people have this idea. Maybe Ford should pay attention to the XR spec more carefully

G

·
I wouldn't think the wreckers would have the wiring loom for the trip computer as it is only for fitting it to cars without the trip comp. I intstalled a trip comp on my EL. first time Ford spares didn't give me the loom and i was reading the intrsutions and had no idea what was the deal. Then i got the loom and it was easy. only hard bit is running the lighting wire from the right side of gauge cluster.
on EB-ED is a bit harder. that same wire has to go to ECU wiring harness in passenger kick panel.

By the way.. the trip computer only cost $180. new. and ford give you 1 year warrenty on all parts.

G

·
Hi Slim,

The GLi had the clock in the radio, but the EL Futura has the clock in the panel where the trip computer is on the Fairmont series.
I don't know about the wiring changes required though.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi again, looking for some more advice

the wrecker sent me the wiring loom, got it yesterday, they cut the loom were it come through the fire wall and at the auto transmission, so I got the whole instrument cluster, about 3.5m in length and weighs heaps. Found the trip computer plug most of the colour are the same, the brown wire on the fitting instructings, Paul sent me is a brown wire with silver trace on a NL fairlane loom, but I can handle that, rest of colours matched ok.

Problems I have is the trip computer has two light in the back and the wiring loom has no lights in that position, I assume the clock has a light in that position and I will have to jumper a wire across to the other light.

Bigger problem on the fitting instruction that I was sent it instruct, not knocking them they are very helpful, one is instructed to insert a red and a red with green trace wire into the trip computer plug, my question where is the other end meant to be connected two.

grateful for the advice.

BTW Slim, I would like to know what ford dealer quoted you $180 as I am paying too much for parts in Canberra

cheers

Craig

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Craig,

If you can wait until the weekend, I'll undo the dash panel and draw you a diagram of where those red and red/green wires go. I'm pretty sure they are part of the aditional wireing that plugs into the demister switch.

I'll get back to you Saturday arvo

Paul

1 - 20 of 25 Posts