Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for me , crazy idea / set up

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

A bill has been introduced in North Carolina that aimed to ban the Carolina Squat – a way to refer to trucks or SUVs (most commonly) that sit far lower in the rear than the front. Critics argue that this sort of modification is dangerous for a number of reasons, but it’s become an incredibly popular trend in both North and South Carolina, among other states. However, such vehicles will be illegal in North Carolina starting December 1st after Governor Roy Cooper signed House Bill 692, according to WTKR News.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Currently, the state of North Carolina doesn’t regulate bumper height on vehicles, though most other states do. However, House Bill 692 changes that, stating that a “private passenger automobile shall not be modified or altered by elevating the automobile more than 3 inches from the manufacturer’s specified height in the front and lowering the automobile more than two inches from the manufacturer’s specified height in the rear. A private passenger automobile modified or altered in violation of this subsection shall not be operated upon any highway or public vehicular area.”
While both lifted and lowered vehicles are incredibly popular among automotive enthusiasts, the Carolina Squat has caught the attention of lawmakers because it creates a potentially dangerous stance. With the front end pointed toward the sky, headlights aren’t quite as effective, and it’s virtually impossible for the driver to see directly in front of the vehicle. Raising the front and lowering the rear also adversely affects handling.
Those that choose to continue driving a squatted vehicle after the law goes into effect face some pretty stiff penalties. In addition to fines, owners could also lose their license for an entire year if they’re cited three times for driving a vehicle modified in this manner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Several thoughts here. If the headlights cannot be properly readjusted it is obviously a safety issue, this alone should allow for a moving violation ticket. The vehicle being high in front diminishes the drivers site directly in front of him also safety. The lifting also changes the center of gravity for the vehicle, also safety issue.
Then there is the possibility of a 'know it all' government who in their 'infinite' wisdon are being objective in their limits, is the law based on calculations? I hope it is. How does this law affect people who raise their truck sky high, sounds like not at all. I would expect if the high-front, low-rear vehicles are having modification limits that the all-high would also have modification limits.

·
Super Moderator
1,902 Posts
It also alters the caster settings, which also affects toe, and greatly affects directional stability. But then, guys (and gals) also screw up their trucks with lifts and huge tires. Oh, and then there's the lowered rice burners.

·
Registered
118 Posts
…Then there is the possibility of a 'know it all' government who in their 'infinite' wisdom are being objective in their limits, is the law based on calculations? I hope it is.
They may have calculated the expected revenue from all the tickets that get written, but that’s it. And that will be way off.

If I handled my finances the way the government does, I’d be in prison!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts