Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father bought me a 1984 regular cab v6 with my money in non working order and need some help working on it since i know nothing about vehicles.
First i am looking for a sending unit that will fit in a 17 gallon tank a unit connector and a diagram of all the hoses (half are missing) I bought a book but it will not be hear for at least a week.
This will likely be one of many post so my apologize in the future.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can try LMC truck parts for NOS. They have a LOT of Ranger parts(also Mazda B2xxx)

The EVTM may be available on ebay or other site. Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual.
Many for ~$20-25. It shows all wiring and how a lot of things work. You may be able to use a sending unit from another vehicle for parts, such as the float, arm or resistor sweep. As long as you are within a reasonable range, the gauge will indicate general fuel level.(given it is not cooked)
I think grounding the sender lead to the gauge will 'full travel' the gauge. It MAY slam to FULL, so if it does, don't leave it connected.
Most clusters have a 'voltage limiter' on the backside that chugs along chopping cluster/gauge voltage to a somewhat regulated 7.5V or similar. That keeps the varying system voltage(battery at whatever charge to FULL alternator/generator voltage) at a constant so the gauges don't squirm based on engine rpm. If that fails, either the gauges cook or don't work at all(temp/fuel I think).
tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts