Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I decided to change the cam in the EL , I had been given a replacement for the very high milage cam in there so went and spoke to my mate ( who owns a motor rebuilding place) and he agreed to freshen the cam with some base circle work and reshaping to compliment the head work done last year . Collected the cam , paid the dues and drove home , stripped the rocker covers and fitted the cam , 45 minutes later started to reassemble things , and found severl of the pedistal bolts had pulled the thread when being removed , ^&*)*^ sob so I walk 3 blocks to the local bolt supply and get bolts and taps , replace the damaged threads and reassemble it all , now it wont start , spins fine but wont start ^^)^)()^ again.

Compression is fine but no spark at the plugs , I have largish fore -rms and hands so getting into the dizzy is very difficult but I check and yes there is spark at the coil lead , a bit less blue than I expected but its still healthy and blue .
Replace the leads and nothing "NADA" sfa ... , new cap and rotor ( at 25k kilometers ) and still nothing ..WTF ?
ring an ex ford mechanic who really know his stuff and he calls by on the way home , does some head shaking and then does a test on the coil , its breaking down under preasure but sparks just fine so on goes a new coil , tap the key and on the first turn it starts and settles down to a nice steaady lump lump lump so I hold it at 1500 for a couple of minutes just in case the cam hardening needs sorting .. I am happy now and around $140.00 poorer :(
still I doubt the new bolts are gonna pull out being 10mm and the cam has really smartened the performace up , now to hack some more holes in the air box
B :driver:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Damn cars eh...

I just got my EB back from the mechanics after f**king up my intake manifold swap hardcore... (coolant was leaking from between manifold and block...)

All fixed now! I could've done it myself but the space I was using (my mate's mum's carport) was needed for, well, his mum's car, and I didn't have the time, blah blah blah, so I took the lazy route & had a mechanic pull it back off & put it back on again.

The Windsor is less wheezy now!

Good to hear your car has woken up a bit with its cam :D I wish mine had a decent cam in it... and the heads... all of which are gathering dust in the cellar...

I'm not up to doing those by myself/with mates though!

Big thanks to Pilch for helping with the manifold swap too (well, attempt #1)

-Dave-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts