Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am after as Much info as I can get about the possibility of Turboing a 351, I have no idea what the Compression is on a 351 or the exhaust CFM's etc etc...

I have been told it is very hard to do, but also told about $2000 with a second hand turbo...

If any one has any idea what is involved let me know please..
Thanks
Steve

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
In what car? Room may be a factor.
A fuel injection set up is really expensive (i was quoted around $3000) so you either have to do a carby or LPG setup. If you want to keep it around $2000.
I think $2000 might be pushing it a little as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know... I have i in a ZH fairlane.. plenty of room I think

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I want to know is, Is it possible, what do I need to do to the engine, and approximate price... and step by step guide of someone else turboing a 351 would help...

I would prefer Turbo over Supercharger... I can set the Boost, and save fuel by not boosting continuously...

·
slikxb
220 Posts
are you any good at fabricating. For 2000 your'e gonna have to make all your own manifolding, intake + exhuast. You'll have to blow through a carby, which isn't the best. Are you going for an intercooler? To drop your'e comp ratio you could use thick copper head gaskets (decompression plate), I think around 7:1 maybe.
Youre gonna have to keep boost levels pretty low, because everything I've mentioned is kinda half arsed. I reckon heat is gonna be a real killa, I would try to get an intercooler. Is this for street or just aplay thing?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a play thing, and for cruising around town.. Of course I would get a cooler... Probably front mount if I could...

I may have to get someone else to do the fabricating...

I am not after too much boost... Maybe 10 psi max
Don't need a massive intercooler ot Turbo... But I am not sure with Exhaust rates etc what turbo is average for this work...

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Twin turbo's on V8 for street use they don't need to be very big..A pair of T3/4 hybrids with AR .63 turbine and .7 compressor is 350+h.p each...700 hp is nearly undriveable with way over 1500 nm torque on the street.A.63 housing will limit revs over 6000 rpm but you DON'T need to go there.Bigger turbine will raise rpm boost response...From memory 351 Clevo's had around 8.7 compression, O/K for boost under 10 Lp..Spend time and money on correct fuel and spark timing...
I wouldn't think it would be that hard to efi a Clevo using late model wireloom etc..You'll need to weld some injector plates on inlet some aftermarket inlets have bosses already there..Just need to be drilled out to accept injectors and fab up a plate to hold them in with fuel rail and a 90* bend to mount throttle body...

·
slikxb
220 Posts
I haven't had much to do with turbo's. But I reckon if youv'e gotta pay someone to do all your fab work then 2000 is just a starting point. If it's only a play thing though youv'e got time on your side at least.(to save more money)

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Are the exhuast manifolds on the 351 reversible? You may be able to save costs there.
ebxr8240- any idea how a single 600hp GT30 would go on a 351. It has a 1.06 exhaust housing and a small intake housing .6 I think.

·
slikxb
220 Posts
There was atuff looking red xd with xf front getting around awhile back. it ran a 351 clevo with twin turbos + intercooler, can't remember if it was injected or not. It's turbos were sitting infront of the shock towers, as that's pretty much the only available space to fit turbos. Off memory he used stock ex. manifolds put on opposite side so the outlet pointed forward. Someone may know this car as it was in all the mags, I'm only going off memory which is pretty stuffed. It can be done.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dansedgli the exhaust ar will strangle the motor, you need something around a 1.32. You should be able to pick this up for $200 or less.

The easiest efi setup would be to use the moded efi manifold that injection connection is selling. I think you may get it for $900 with injectors cause I think he just wants to get rid of it. ebxr8240 the std clevo manifolds are cast iron.

Otherwise for carby you will need a Holley DP carby of 650cfm size minimum. To turbo on the cheap you will need two turbos, I think Japanese Motorsport are selling VG30DET turbos for $250 each, these would be perfect. If you can't do the work yourself or get a mate to do the fabwork for something like a slab of beer then you will have no chance of going turbo and expecting the motor to last.

I am going to turbocharge my NC and with me doing 80% of the fab work and already having the ecu I have worked out it will cost still me at least $2000.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well maybe I'll wait till I got a bit more money before modding it... I think I'll start with better wheels, tint and custom ICE install....

·
Registered
262 Posts
The best way for you would be to set it up on LPG....U can pick up a Twin Gas research conversion kits for cheap....I've seen a XD or XE at easternats last year or the year beffore that had the setup...It was also intercooled.. The car started and worked like fuel injection and you wouldn't loose much power over the EFI car. There is a guy in Geelong with a turbo LPG XE that runs 11 seconds flat in his XE Ghia....and has 350kw+ at the wheels... I am thinking about that idea also because I think it will be the only way I comply with the polution laws and in the proces i get the save few $$ which I would need to spend on big injectors, fuel regulator, fuel pump, bigger fuel lines..etc

·
Registered
20 Posts
My brother tried twin turbos on a 302C and it was just too hard. Even on low boost and with decompression plates/oringed heads the head gaskets kept blowing.

As for EFI do what I am doing. Get a Redline Street Torker. You can use a 4 barrel carby as a throttle body and the manifold has pre cast injector bosses. You even just stick a 4 barrel carb on it initially which is what I am doing until the motor is run in (351C).

Adrian

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah there was a twin turbo 351 clevo at the all ford day today
its a red xd\xe with an xf front and was running a straight
gas research setup
nice car... its always at easternats aswell..
cheers cam

·
Registered
91 Posts
I8AHSV said:
There is a guy in Geelong with a turbo LPG XE that runs 11 seconds flat in his XE Ghia....and has 350kw+ at the wheels...
who might this be? I'm sorta from down that way and i'd be interested to speak to this person. sounds like my kinda guy as some of you know i have an XE ghia, turbo, LPG. (almost finished: just the exhaust to go now)

even if someone knows what workshop he goes through would be helpful.

·
Registered
177 Posts
aaron_hogan said:
who might this be? I'm sorta from down that way and i'd be interested to speak to this person. sounds like my kinda guy as some of you know i have an XE ghia, turbo, LPG. (almost finished: just the exhaust to go now)

even if someone knows what workshop he goes through would be helpful.
although i dont know the guy
i think this might be the car your talking about..
http://www.fullboost.com.au/cars/featurecars/2001/xe_jason_pg1.html

cheers cam

·
slikxb
220 Posts
Not the one I'm talking about, V8 not six. Red with 'PUMPIN' plates. Ireckon straight gas is the go. Alot cheaper, no polution probs. Those gas research mixers are a good bit of gear and look good as well

·
Registered
177 Posts
i think that was the one at the all ford day
it had twin gas research mixers & converters
and the turbos where towards the front of the engine bay??
cheers
cam

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
not ford said:
Dansedgli the exhaust ar will strangle the motor, you need something around a 1.32. You should be able to pick this up for $200 or less.

The easiest efi setup would be to use the moded efi manifold that injection connection is selling. I think you may get it for $900 with injectors cause I think he just wants to get rid of it. ebxr8240 the std clevo manifolds are cast iron.

Otherwise for carby you will need a Holley DP carby of 650cfm size minimum. To turbo on the cheap you will need two turbos, I think Japanese Motorsport are selling VG30DET turbos for $250 each, these would be perfect. If you can't do the work yourself or get a mate to do the fabwork for something like a slab of beer then you will have no chance of going turbo and expecting the motor to last.

I am going to turbocharge my NC and with me doing 80% of the fab work and already having the ecu I have worked out it will cost still me at least $2000.

The VG30T is .63 T3 size though twins on V8..I said "aftermarket" inlet...
Fuel and tuning saves head gasgets..ANY pinging and they will blow!!!..
Check all this out at www.turbomustangs.com Check out the junk yard forum.. On there any single above .9 is too big and doesn't spool soon enough on std ish 302's.Depends on other parimiters too...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts