Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what Motor Mag means by sequential turbo vs Dual scroll turbo for the AV? Whats the adv and disadvantages of either one? Will they be intercooled.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
DR XR said:
Just wondering what Motor Mag means by sequential turbo vs Dual scroll turbo for the AV? Whats the adv and disadvantages of either one? Will they be intercooled.
Well to my knowledge, sequential turbo's work in the way that one turbo is always spooling from idle to give a good bottom end torque, and another turbo begins spooling in the later revs like 3500. Skyline GTR's and Supra's use this sequential setup.

I'm not to sure about the dual scroll turbo but my guess it they operate in parallel to give a big power delivery but perhaps lacking the linear power.

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
I dont know why they would want 2 turbo models
I think they should have just one xr6 turbo, the turbo on the fairmont ghia, and al the rest standard.
I wonder if the turbo will be able to be tweaked for a few more psi. 250 to even 300kw should be easily gotten out of it when the boys get hold of it

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
ED Manual said:
I reckon just have one XR6, not two as well.
Here here.. One of each model is the go any more is too confusing. remember the KISS principle..

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
I think dual scroll has something to do with the turbo spooling up, possibly resulting in more top-end without sacrificing mid-range. One thing I can't wait for is seeing what aftermarket potential it will have. The VL Turbo is still getting around so my guess is the 230kw XR6 will definately have loads of potential. Outputs of 300-350+ kw will not be out of the question. :)

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think one XR6 is good enough and it should sit just below the XR8 in price {i see no reason why it should be much dearer than todays VCT if the new IRS will be cheaper etc} and have huge Turbo performance to justify its price eg 230kw. I think that the lower spec Turbos should be maybe put onto an S or Futura as i dont like the idea of the base 5.4s on a Forte etc been quicker than an XR6. This would also be standard on Fairmont Ghia and Fairlane Ghia and the cars would not need to go to Tickford giving them more time for other projects. The base V8s of course would not match the hot XR6.

·
Administrator
5,119 Posts
Re: Re: Turbo Question??

EF_Falcon_GuY said:

Well to my knowledge, sequential turbo's work in the way that one turbo is always spooling from idle to give a good bottom end torque, and another turbo begins spooling in the later revs like 3500. Skyline GTR's and Supra's use this sequential setup.

I'm not to sure about the dual scroll turbo but my guess it they operate in parallel to give a big power delivery but perhaps lacking the linear power.
Your right EF.The Subaru I have has twin sequential turbo's.Has good pickup off the mark but I think single turbo is better.There seems to be more aftermarket power potential for single turbo than twin.Even the push to the back of the seat feels better with the single turbo as it seems to have a strong midrange punch esp when mated to a Cosworth engine ahhhh.But have driven Evo Mitsi's as well and same real hard mid range rush.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Yeah for the falcon i say a single low boost 6-7psi turbo is the go. Twin IMO is goods for engines that need more torque down low but the Inline 6 has decent bottom end punch adn if they go DOHC bottom end grunt will be even better for those of you who think the Buick 6 has more bottom end grunt.

Yeah the after market potential of turbo's will be good and the falcon name will be hollowed better as well.
With a few mods aka Skyline Intercooler BOV's hi-flowing turbo's and ultimately bigger turbo's i reckon we'll see the Falcon six dominating the street power scene.

310+kw out of the Inline 6 isn't too hard. :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Turbo Question??

Big Block Ford said:

Even the push to the back of the seat feels better with the single turbo as it seems to have a strong midrange punch esp when mated to a Cosworth engine ahhhh.
As long as it doesn't have as much lag as the Cosworths in the Sierra. Fark they were fun to drive.

Stand on loud pedal, have a cup of tea, then all of a sudden your U-turn is a 360. :D

·
Poor IT guy
506 Posts
Re: Re: Turbo Question??

EF_Falcon_GuY said:

The Supra uses a sequentail setup whish means that it has a smaller turbo for low RPM and a larger turbo for higher RPM. The Skyline uses to equal size turbo's, which means they can use smaller turbos that boost up quicker than using one large turbo. I think this is what they mean by dual scroll.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo Question??

Brendan said:

As long as it doesn't have as much lag as the Cosworths in the Sierra. Fark they were fun to drive.

Stand on loud pedal, have a cup of tea, then all of a sudden your U-turn is a 360. :D
heheheehe

I can just picture the effect!!!

But rather than turbo, I'd rather see ford use Blowers as standard in the new 6s

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo Question??

laminge said:

But rather than turbo, I'd rather see ford use Blowers as standard in the new 6s
Why?????

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo Question??

Martin said:
Why

do you think ford have just decided to add the Turbo on overnight?

How much of a commitment has it been??? How long in the pipe line has it been an issue? What problems have they experienced?

Personally i have run both in my cars over the years, and i can safely say that I rather a Blower than Turbo as it has less "breakage effect".

·
471 Posts
I think its not an overnight thing, but i guess its to compete with the supercharged holden.

I'd have one, DOHC Twin turbo,
can you call it that if its twin scroll?

Sure does sound good.
They get VL's doing 10 sec quarter miles with a bit of tweaking, the Ford should do the same, just wind it up to 20psi, about 450kw and bobs youre uncle!!!
3 seconds too 100 too!!

·
471 Posts
Why?

Turbos use less fuel when cruising i'm pretty sure cos they practically turn off unless needed. Superchargers are on all the time wasting fuel.

That would have a big effect on which was used. Marketing wise.

I think turbos might be cheaper too, not sure?

·
HORSE POWER FACTORY
257 Posts
NOWAY!!

Elvis said:
As far as I know, it is a *lot* easier to get power out of a turbo then a supercharger.
Thats how much you know about blowers rolleyes:
A supercharger achieves performance increases (both torque and HP) by increasing the density of air entering the combustion chamber. A supercharged system will generally deliver a 30 to 50% horsepower improvement. On performance modified engines, improvements can easily exceed 100%. Now as a owner of a blower l can gaurantee you that it DOES NOT lack in power over a turbo. Turbos have to get to a certain revlimit before power kicks in.

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats one reason why Holdens Supercharged V6 is doing nothing in the aftermarket. There blower is virtually impossible to get reasonable gains without pulling the whole thing off and starting again. VLs have been king for years with all the easy cost friendly gains i think the inline 6 of ours is a tuffer engine so we should be even better with a good Turbo.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts