Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XF ute now has a new 250 and new trannie. What are the pro's and con's of either a) supercharging it, or b) turboing it? I know that turboing it will stress the engine no end, but I know very little about supercharging it. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

·
Turbo Pilot
85 Posts
The Cons with both is that they are both goig to be expensive (I am gonna GUESS 5-6K) and do horrible things to your insurance premiums.

Don't discount what can be done with the 250 while keeping it naturally aspirated, my old man once had an XD with cam, Yella Terra head (which I don't think they still do) extractors etc. and it went hard, and I am sure there are much better setups out there.

By doing it this way you can do the mods bit by and spread the costs (the old man did all his though a cunning kitty if you know what I mean :s5 ), while the insurance premiums won't go through the roof.

Having said all that, nothing will give the power and performane of forced induction and I have got no idea what you budget and expectations are, its just my 2c worth

I can't remember seeing a blower on a 250 but there are a couple of lads running around with turbo setup and I am sure they can help you on the details.

By the way which ever way you go, smile, because EVERYONE loves a ute:s5 :s5 :s5 :s5

·
Ex Member
717 Posts
Utes

just looking at your signature, not that i'm a holden lover, but holden invented the ute. it was for using on the farm and could also be used for taking the family to church on sundays.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Was 1934 with the "Bandt Ute". World's first coupe utility. Ford Australia's very own contribution to the automotive world.

·
Turbo Pilot
85 Posts
HOLDEN DID NOT INVENT THE UTE

Ford OZ sold the enclosed cab utility in 1934 way before the 48/215 was even born

The story of the utility truck or coupé utility– the ute – began in 1932, when the following letter was received by Ford Australia’s plant at Geelong, Victoria. It was written by a farmer’s wife who’d had enough of riding to church in the farm truck and arriving in saturated clothing;

For the whole tory go to http://www.fastlane.com.au/Features/First_ute.htm

The only reason you are confused is because of the rubbish you hear from misguided Holden drivers, beacause the ute was an Australian invention and they always assume that Australian=Holden. Even though Holden was only Austalian owned for about 5 minutes and was swallowed by GM. They even stole the letter about pigs an churches story!!!

So scream it from the roof tops, it might be the 50th anniversary for the holden ute but Ford are not far off the 75TH anniversary of theirs

The SIG actually came off a Ford TV add for the XF??? longreach ute years ago

PS sorry to divert the original post Carolyn but somethings just need to be said :s5 :s5 :s5 :s5

·
Turbo Pilot
85 Posts
WHOOPS... everyone is now WAY off topic!!!

Sorry Carolyn

Come on you 250/4.1 guys engine mods/forced induction lets here some info

G

·
Actually Turbo or supercharging an engine both increase the stress. A rootes or screw type supercharger will stress an engine at lower rpm than a turbo or centrifugally supercharged engine.

It depends what you want in the end? A rootes or screw type will produce massive torque at very low rpm. A centrifugal blower will give you large mid and top end power and torque.
A turbo if sized correctly can give you massive low end torque and big top end power as well.

Turbo's are quiet but require more plumbing.
Rootes/screw types require mounting and/or intake manifold mods and can be noisy.
Centrifugals are easy to mount, can be noisy(the ones with straight cut gears), but will give a light intake pressure at low rpm which increases the VE of the engine. This results in very good fuel economy.

I would probably go turbo because sixes tend to lend themselves to it.
If you want simplicity a Centrifugal like a Powerdyne(internal belt drive) or Vortech SQ-trim(helical geared) would be good choices. If you want the ultimate in quality a Paxton NOVI 1000 would suit your 250 and is helical geared.
If you really want big low end torque you can't beat the efficiency of an Eaton M90 which is a hybrid rootes/screw type blower.

Pete.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I used to have a tubo'd 250 (non crossflow, non 2V) in a TD Cortina. Went like a bat out of hell, used to eat GT Falcons etc for breakfast. :rcool: It wasn't very unreliable, something was always f*cking up.:redhrm: It was a very primative setup compared to todays techno ones, had NO WASTEGATE or INTERCOOLER! The more revs, the more boost! I was lucky I didn't kill myself in it as it only had the standard Cortina brakes. :redhrm: It was a lot of fun though!
As far as insurance goes most companies don't like ANY mods, even changing a carby can cause problems. I never had the Cortina insured so it didn't effect me. It wasn't actually street legal either.:shh:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy sh**t! Now I'm confused! I think in the interim I'll go extractors and cam. I'll save for the turbo, because I know it's pricey. But how unreliable are the cheap kits? One of those bolt on things ...? This car is a daily driver ....

Re: history of the ute - didn't Mr Farmer Joe write to Henry Ford complaining there wasn't enough space in a sedan to put all the stockfeed plus the slabs of VB? And that was how the first ute came about? And every ute owner knows the first ute was a Ford - even Holden ute owners know that in their hearts ....

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
I'd go for the cam and extractors setup first, if you feel you want more power explore the other options carefully.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Ute's any one been to Dick Johnsons showroom,factory.He has an old side valve v8 ute.{Holden were not around then!!} in his show room,along with his Siera's and Greens tuff Falcon's.

·
Australian Ford Member
63 Posts
Turbo 250

Crossflow 250's are very under-rated motors. You have heaps of options that (as usual) are dictated by budget. A mild 250 (MILD!! cam, ported exhaust side on head and big valve springs) should make around 200hp. A warmer 250 (Mildish cam, pocket ported head, springs, recurved dizzy and revised intake) could see 250hp+.
Turbos are another thing altogether, LPG is the easiest option or if youve got the cash - aftermarket fuel injection (MoTeC, Autronic). You can keep the motor standard and let the turbo do all the work which will still make a lot of power (around 300hp+), and torque would be sky high(around 600nm). A bit of work to the motor and 400hp isnt unachievable. Strength wise 250's can make a LOT of power on a standard bottom end, some guys even push over 300hp. Theres a guy making 730hp in his 250 cortina using ACL pistons, shotpeened rods and a standard crank, and that things seen regular strip action now for 4 years.
Ive seen a few supercharged 250's the results were mixed, in my opinion not as good as the turbos.
Btw, Im building a TE cortina turbo, worked 250, warm cam, Autronic ECU, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, custom fuel system (big pump and surge tank), kitted C4 and 3.25 LSD in the rear. Should be good for around 270-280kw at the wheels.

Check out http://www.fordsix.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=aussie
and the old site http://pub41.ezboard.com/bfordsixcylinderperformanceforum
Heaps of Info there
Good Luck

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
yes, FSP is a great place for six cylinder tips, although its mainly geared towards the U.S 144/170/200/250 integral intake sixes, and the 240/300 F-series six, with the aussie sixes along for the ride (Theyre described as exotic over there, even though theyre rather similar with regards to the block). Theres a guy on cortina crazy http://cortinacrazy.cjb.net thats got a turbo'd cordy there, it appears hes done a HEAP of work to that thing, i'll be interested in seeing what times it runs when its complete..

I'd say go for the supercharger. an Eaton or Sprintex unit would do the job nicely, and theyre also more efficient over a broader range of operating speeds, whereas turbos are rather peaky with volumetric efficiency taken into account.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts