Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is the problem with the turbo on the 2004 Ford diesel. They do not last. Last new one lasted less than 1000 miles. They changed the type to short trip. But I have found one person that has had 6 put on. These vechiles have very low miles, mine has 12000 with 3 turbos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What type of turbo is it (intercooled or not) and what type of oil and grade are you using?? can't help with a question like "how long is a piece of string?"

·
00gtr1
83 Posts
The vgt turbo on a late model ford power stroke is was what I call a work in progress, since the 03 model year the turbo has been updated about 6 times. If you are a person who doesn't change oil every 5k, or let the engine idle alot the turbo vanes like to stick and cause lots of driveability problems. And even some of the reman turbos are bad out of the box. So If you drive a 6.0 change oil every 5k, don't let it idle all day, and beat it like you stole it.

H

·
0 Posts
I've had good luck with mine so far, but then, I work that turbo HARD on a dialy basis. Cops hate me in town. lol

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, I have to say there are other issues at work there. We have around 10 7.3's and not one turbo has went out. The oil is changed regularly as well as any other routine maintenance items. I even did a chip upgrade and whats called a power elbow on the turbo outlet along with an exhaust upgrade on one and its still ticking just fine. Around 100,000 on it. Idling is a diesels worst enemy. And the turbo must have a good supply of clean oil. I would recommend Shell Rotella 15w-40. Thats all I use in these trucks and have had no major problems with any of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts