Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering putting a turbo on my EA. My aim is about 200rwkw...so nothing outrageous. I was speaking to another person from FF who thought that it might be possible to just run 6-8psi without an intercooler to achieve this kind of power.

I basicly just want to know if I should go for a T04 or if something a bit smaller (and cheaper) will do. It's been suggested that a T28 from an R33 might be enough?

Also, what is the advantages/disadvantages of an external wastegate as opposed to an internal one? And are they illegal?

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
No offence but you do realise that to do a decent turbo setup it will probably cost more than the EA? It looks like you have already spent a heap on it, and it does look good, but you might want to take into consideration that you will never see this money again.
I'm looking at setting up a similar deal on my AU1 XR6 and realise that a good professional job (I'm not going to do it myself) is going to be around $8000, or about 40% of the vale of the car....and I dont expect to see that money returned whe I do finally sell it. Why not do it cheaper myself? A number of reasons however, in the end, it will need an engineering cert or it will be illegal. If it's illegal than insurance is history regardless of how much you pay.
The other consideration is the condition of your engine. Mine has just done 100,000km's and is in excellent condition however I am already concerned about durability as it is getting a bit old.
Finally, the T5 is not know for handling huge amounts of kw and torque. 200rwkw is probably close to 250 at the fly, this will almost certainly be the upper limits of what the T5 can handle.
Sorry for all this but I've been looking into it an a big way and have found that there is so much more to it then strapping on a turbo and away you go.

·
WHAT THE?
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah some fair points there....especially about the engineer's cert and insurance. That's why im not leaping into this...I'm new to the world of turbo's and like you I'm trying to find out a bit about them first. But because it's an EA, I'm not afraid to have a go at doing it myself (if it was an AU then I'd do it professionally too!). There's no way in hell I'd spend 8k on a turbo conversion for my car, so if I can't do it cheaply then I won't worry about it.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
There is an turbo exhaust manifold in for sale section.Fit a T4, external waste gate and way you go.After fitting inlet ducting...

·
Love having 3 peddles
647 Posts
For 6-8psi you won't need a intercooler and for that sort of boost a T03 will do.
I am building a new engine for my turbo setup. I am running a T04e at 14psi with an intercooler (can run up to 30psi), low comp pistons at 8.2, and my engineer said it will get about 175rwkw, so I am not sure who told you that. I am spending big $$$$ on my setup, but you can do a lower boost setup on the cheep. If you want the 300kw (200rwkw) then pack a big wallet.

200kw at the flywheel now that is acheavable no probs, just keep in mind that you may have to decompress the engine if you plan to run 8psi. this can be done with low comp pistons or a decompression plate, it is just like an eatra head gasket. The first is the better method. You may also need a custom cam, a ecu I am using a heltech in mine.

check this site for a bit more info www.capa.com.au

I hope some of this helped

·
Love having 3 peddles
647 Posts
Plus it depends on the dyno that you use to get kw & rwkw figures I am goin by the dyno and engine design software at PET in Thomastown

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
At 6Lp and 24 Lp injectors you wiil just get 200rwkwBut basically so long as turbo is big enough and compression is not too high. The injectors are what limits power to a point...
With std eec you can't use bigger injectors and boost must be under 6 Lp not so much for map won't work..But engine will run very lean...
A head off a ute helps as well as they're usually lower compression...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Maybe a toyota CT 26 off the old 3l supra's might be good they can only handle up to 12-14lb's of boost and are similar to a T04, the rear housing is interchangable with the T04 anyway. If you can find one it should only set you back 4-600 bucks. try to get the factory i/c, BOV and some piping with it, will help as these parts are already matched for each other (the BOV is usually set at 6-7psi as well)

·
Registered
529 Posts
SPHELL said:
It's been suggested that a T28 from an R33 might be enough?
QUOTE]

One no way, two maybe. The turbines on these are puny even by 4cyl standards. 2 x RB20 would be better.

You should be able to piss in 200rwkw with the right turbo. To go no intercooler you will need a larger turbo. The larger the turbo the more airflow at lower boost pressures. A std T3 off anything won't do your power needs, the turbines will be too small as will the wastegate. By the time you hi-flow a T3 you could have bought the right T4. There is a guy here on the Gold Coast that got a TA45 truck turbo 2nd hand for $700, put on a smaller rear housing for $300 and made 280rwkw at 7psi on a 13B rotary motor before the wheels spun on the dyno.

You really need 30lb injectors to comfortably reach 200rwkw. Also several people have done this power on standard engines.

On the street you don't want less compression, it will make the whole package more laggy and lazy off boost. Most people in the know keep the comp around 8.5:1 (as high as 9.0:1).

If you did it all yourself and looked for all the bargins you could do it for $3000.

·
Registered
529 Posts
toby123 said:
how much boost would sandard injectors take?

Thanks toby
Its not boost its hp.

The std 19lb injectors would max out about 180rwhp and to get that you would need more fuel pressure.
24lb at about 220rwhp.
30lb at about 270rwhp.
36lb at about 310rwhp
40lb at about 360rwhp.

These are all rough because of fuel pressure variations.

·
Fitted.....
168 Posts
ah k
i didnt realise that ya get bigger injectors and stuff with dev 4-5-6 kits?

Thanks
Toby

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think the bigger dev kits use the 24lb injectors from the EF or EL onwards. You can get more hp than what I ahev quoted but this requires fuel pressures of more than 65psi base and this will shorten fuel pump life. The bosch motorsport pumps can handle the higher pressures alot better. The rotary guys normally use mallapassi regs and run them up to 80psi.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
not ford said:
Its not boost its hp.

The std 19lb injectors would max out about 180rwhp and to get that you would need more fuel pressure.
24lb at about 220rwhp.
30lb at about 270rwhp.
36lb at about 310rwhp
40lb at about 360rwhp.

These are all rough because of fuel pressure variations.
These figures are not correct with foreced induction..Maybe naturally aspireated..We ran lean on 24"s at 6Lp above 4500 rpm @ 192 rwkw...
With 2:1 Malpasi reg set at 50 Lp...To4B turbo's E.B 8860 ems...

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
Rather than buying expensive large injectors couldnt you:

If using an aftermarket ECU (say EMS8080, with selectable injector impedences) Run two stock injector rails and two stock fuel pumps, wire the injectors in paralell and set the impedence as such?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I can get injectors for around $400 30 to 42 Lp..From states just takes time....

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
whats needed is a custom exhaust manifold, with a t03/t04 turbo
some tr "blue" magna injectors these flow 350cc's, and 5cc's equals 1 hp, so each injectors can support 70hp, so times that by six.. theres 420hp worth of fuel.
a vl turbo pump running inline externaly will see the desired fuel flow

keep your stock compression ratio. what people are saying about decompressing it to run more then 8psi is codswollop, the ea you have i presume is the ea bottom end with the ef cylinder head, correct? the compression ratio of this engine would roughly be around 8.8 to one.

the ef intake manifold you have now is perfect for the set up, as then you can run a short boost pipe over the rocker cover like TSA do with their cheapy, budget set ups.

but like others have said, go over 7psi you may run into fuel mapping issues, as the standard ecu was made to handle positive boost pressure that well, look at getting a microfueler piggy back ecu if you wana run more boost.

but to run more boost, you'll need a intercooler of somesorts, be it WI W2A TM or FMIC

beleive it once you start, its gonna get outa control :s6:

oh, and boost the ea... you wont regret it

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
529 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
These figures are not correct with foreced induction..Maybe naturally aspireated..We ran lean on 24"s at 6Lp above 4500 rpm @ 192 rwkw...
With 2:1 Malpasi reg set at 50 Lp...To4B turbo's E.B 8860 ems...
Well to do that power on those injectors you would be doing very well. In my experience the hp levels outlined are all good safe maximums.

I also don't like using rising rate regs either.

The most I have seen with 24s is 240rwhp with 80psi rail pressure and that was tuned by Mathew Spry.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts