Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today got a new exhaust system fitted, got the extractors aluminium coated and went from a 3.5inch single to twin 3.0 inch and Lukey Race series mufflers and x pipe. The pipes end at diff to keep it 3 inch all the way. A bit boomy at idle but a very deep note driving along...

Bonus all round, under 3000 haven't lost any driveability and I think this is due to the affect of the x pipe. Top end I have gained a heap of grunt - no dyno comparison - but going by the additional spin I'm getting through the gears, perhaps as much as 20-30HP gain.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
It's my belief that any decent V8, especially a cleveland, gains a lot of benefit from a decent twin system.
What did you have before?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't the pipes have to end at the bumper? Thought it was illegal if they ended at the diff.

3in is a huge twin system!

·
Registered
992 Posts
I used several on my Cortina. 3 inch single, dual 2 1/4. dual 2 1/2 and found no measurable difference on the track when running street trim low 10's through the pipes.

I did however pick up 36 RWHP going 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 with the extractors.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Racer some of my gains could be the extractor bore increase, I went 1 5/8 upto 1 7/8 with this new set-up.

Clevo yeah isn't everything that's fun illegal?

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
and here i was thinking i could get my exhaust sorted for under $900... :(

what do you guys think the going rate should be for a twin 2 1/4 or 2.5 inch system for a ZH Fairlane? I'm going to buy a set of 2nd hand extractors...

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
xacoupe said:
It's my belief that any decent V8, especially a cleveland, gains a lot of benefit from a decent twin system.
What did you have before?
Man where are you guys when we need you in the Windsor section!!!! Bunch of SingleSystem™ lovin hippies over there :MrSparkle

DUAL OR NOTHING!! :fluffy:

·
3FB Educator!
527 Posts
Mr Sparkle said:
Man where are you guys when we need you in the Windsor section!!!! Bunch of SingleSystem™ lovin hippies over there :MrSparkle

Hahaha.
Too true!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah go the twin system! Cost me $390 for the twin system and cross-over supplied and fitted which I thought was very reasonable.

I already had the extractors, but they cost me $1000 a few months ago direct from Pacemaker, $300 of that was the HPC coating.

Worth every cent.

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
So HPC coating is some sort of heat proofing? or rust proofing?

'scuse the ignorance :p

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
Mr Sparkle said:

You called?

Twin Systems (tm) work very well on Clevelands and Windsors.

SINGLE SYSTEMS ARE FOR ***** (tm)!

:bsr:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
'scused..

Does all that and more. I'm not totally sure of the whole deal, but I think it's an aluminiumised ceramic layer applied under heat. Makes a big difference in reducing underbonnet temperatures, less 'tinny' noise and apparantly the thermal qualities also speed up the exhaust velocity which improves power. They also look nice, like stainless steel.

·
Banned
555 Posts
BlackSnakeEA your zh should set u back 400-450 most suppliers dont do off the shelf anymore so the shop will bend it custom.

Now if you have a good fast shop it will cost u less if they suck it will cost you more just remeber that u need to put dual hangers up the other side of the car and the zh rear bumper has ony one recess for a pipe so the second pipe may be set lower and will look shithouse. I loved my Marquis till my bro destroyed it 2 weeks after a big rebuild new paint motor driveline ext.

back to the original post though most small blocks do make more power with dual pipes.

·
Catching Bugs
312 Posts
i have a fine if u want me to show u for having dumpers(ending at the diff) $500 it cost for the fine so u might want to have the tail pipes put on.

·
Banned
555 Posts
anyone fitting the half system obviously doesnt care about the legalitys, i like having the tips at the ass end of my car

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
Thanks for the advice, guys!

TyreToaster - I thought about running one out each side and chopping another hole in the bumper, BUT

i have pics of my grandfather's Plymouth Fury with a twin exhaust exiting side by side, which I think looks just as horn... (my dad's NF Fairlane also does this, kinda... twin tips)

Is it possible to run them tandem and have them both exit on the drivers side?

·
BSR Twin System (tm)
4,751 Posts
Yes it is possible to get a Twin System (tm) with both pipes exiting on the drivers side in the existing Cut Out. It just takes a bit of work to get two pipes over the Diff without them hitting it as the Suspension compresses.

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
sweet as! I've got wood just anticipating some Marquis Twin System Action (tm).

Can anyone recommend a shit-hot exhaust shop in Brisneyland?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts